• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kettlebells?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Gotta work my way up to 300. Did 50 night before last, and 100 last night. Gonna try for 150 tonight, or as many above 100 as I can do.

If it helps, do sets of about 25-30. Try alternating hands midway, well, maybe later.

Also remember - most of the momentum should come from your hips. Try hip flexor stretches before doing swings. Also remember to try and perform full lock at the top of each swing - firm stomach, locked legs, locked/straight shoulders + arms, locked lower back, + anal lock (no joke, no ****, it prevents some potentially bad injuries)

This is one of the places where a book/dvd would help.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yes, I've got that down on the swings, love it. They work the muscles that I should be working doing deadlifts but don't because my form is so piss poor. Pavel's DVD will help with that too, I really liked his standing in front of the wall trick to correct form. That will help my deadlift greatly.

I notice the swings test my endurance much like burpees, so I do expect to rapidly increase reps as I go on with the swing much like I did w/ burpees.

I am going to stick with my current barbell/dumbell routine, but supplement it with this bell. I really really like the swings and clean and press.

Turkish getups and snatches can come later, as I don't have the confidence to try to snatch that thing over my head just yet.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, I've got that down on the swings, love it. They work the muscles that I should be working doing deadlifts but don't because my form is so piss poor. Pavel's DVD will help with that too, I really liked his standing in front of the wall trick to correct form. That will help my deadlift greatly.

I notice the swings test my endurance much like burpees, so I do expect to rapidly increase reps as I go on with the swing much like I did w/ burpees.

I am going to stick with my current barbell/dumbell routine, but supplement it with this bell. I really really like the swings and clean and press.

Turkish getups and snatches can come later, as I don't have the confidence to try to snatch that thing over my head just yet.

I think this is very wise. KB's are a tool, not the entire tool box.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I think this is very wise. KB's are a tool, not the entire tool box.

Depends on what you're working on. Definitely not the entire toolbox for say BB or PL, but can be more than enough for certain other things.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to gain mass. I'm just saying I'm not ready to give up squatting under a bar.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to gain mass. I'm just saying I'm not ready to give up squatting under a bar.

that's cool, we've already discussed it.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Depends on what you're working on. Definitely not the entire toolbox for say BB or PL, but can be more than enough for certain other things.

Just busting your chops. KB's can provide an excellent workout, but so can DB's, barbell's, or bodyweight exercises. I used a Soloflex for about a year when I was 24 years old and looked the best I ever did, but I don't see any threads dedicated to the Soloflex. Of course, at that age, I didn't have to work real hard to be/look in shape.

They are simply different strength tools and should be considered complimentary, not exclusive.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think one of the main things kettlebells have over DB or BB are they are just plain fun to use I'm finding out. Never ever have I actually looked forward to doing overhead presses until I bought one Friday. When I work out with BB or DB, even though I like them, I'm counting down the reps until I'm done and I can go do something else. Not so here, I'm actually disappointed when my workout is over and sad my muscles won't let me do anymore.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just busting your chops. KB's can provide an excellent workout, but so can DB's, barbell's, or bodyweight exercises. I used a Soloflex for about a year when I was 24 years old and looked the best I ever did, but I don't see any threads dedicated to the Soloflex. Of course, at that age, I didn't have to work real hard to be/look in shape.

They are simply different strength tools and should be considered complimentary, not exclusive.

I think one of the main things kettlebells have over DB or BB are they are just plain fun to use I'm finding out. Never ever have I actually looked forward to doing overhead presses until I bought one Friday. When I work out with BB or DB, even though I like them, I'm counting down the reps until I'm done and I can go do something else. Not so here, I'm actually disappointed when my workout is over and sad my muscles won't let me do anymore.

For me, basically, it comes down to this - what are your goals, what do you like, and what is functional for you. I've done the serious weightlifting before, and I have no time or desire to work to put on serious muscle anymore. My MO right now, and hopefully for the rest of my life, is mean and lean and functional. So I mostly lift kettlebells, do body-weight stuff and run. Am I as big and strong as I used to be? No. Do I have more functional strength? Absolutely. Do I feel healthier and physically better in almost every respect? For sure. I have not had an injury or a pulled muscle (related to KB, running is another story) since i've started. No more messed up shoulders, knees, lower back, wrists. I'm in much more of a fighting shape today than I ever was, and that's kind of what matters to me.

I seriously feel like I can keep doing KB + some cardio/etc and stay in the best shape of my life for the rest of my life. And my time investment is a lot less.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, basically, it comes down to this - what are your goals, what do you like, and what is functional for you. I've done the serious weightlifting before, and I have no time or desire to work to put on serious muscle anymore. My MO right now, and hopefully for the rest of my life, is mean and lean and functional. So I mostly lift kettlebells, do body-weight stuff and run. Am I as big and strong as I used to be? No. Do I have more functional strength? Absolutely. Do I feel healthier and physically better in almost every respect? For sure. I have not had an injury or a pulled muscle (related to KB, running is another story) since i've started. No more messed up shoulders, knees, lower back, wrists. I'm in much more of a fighting shape today than I ever was, and that's kind of what matters to me.

I seriously feel like I can keep doing KB + some cardio/etc and stay in the best shape of my life for the rest of my life. And my time investment is a lot less.

I agree with you. I've done Crossfit for years and love it. Brief, intense and I was in excellent shape. I never bought into the cult-like mentality of Crossfit, but I see a lot of that with Kettlebells too. I've actually been doing some double KB stuff the last few weeks. I don't feel like I'm in any better shape than before, but I'm certainly not losing anything and I like the heart pumping pace of the routines (which is why I like Crossfit).

Try some of Ross Enamait's stuff sometime www.rosstraining.com A helluva conditioning workout.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting, Flam. Years ago I hurt what I assume to be my rotator cuff pretty badly. Doing any sort of overhead press with barbell or dumbells was just painful, and I'd hear a loud popping/snapping noise during the bottom of my lifts lowering the weight(s) back to my shoulders after every rep.

I took about a year off to heal, then did some rotator cuff strengthening exercises for a few week and healed some more. No longer did I feel pain, but still, I hear that horrible cracking sound coming from my left shoulder doing presses.

Didn't take me long to notice, I have NO issue doing overhead presses at all with the KB. I have no idea why, but it's like I was never even injured. No snapping, no awkwardness, nothing. Picked up my dumbbells with equivalent weight and heard the popping yet again. *shrug

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. I've done Crossfit for years and love it. Brief, intense and I was in excellent shape. I never bought into the cult-like mentality of Crossfit, but I see a lot of that with Kettlebells too. I've actually been doing some double KB stuff the last few weeks. I don't feel like I'm in any better shape than before, but I'm certainly not losing anything and I like the heart pumping pace of the routines (which is why I like Crossfit).

Try some of Ross Enamait's stuff sometime www.rosstraining.com A helluva conditioning workout.

Yeah, I definitely respect crossfit once you take the whole cult part out of it. Fits my idea of fitness better than many other things.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely respect crossfit once you take the whole cult part out of it. Fits my idea of fitness better than many other things.

Once you get past the whole "I want to look like I'm in shape" and concentrate on actually being in shape, it all comes together and usually takes a lot less time too.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh I love the way I feel this afternoon after doing a good doubles workout yesterday. I think I'm getting a little better and more coordinated in handling the two F***ers.

Next workout is gonna be 300+ swings again. Gonna be fun.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I feel better and more energetic now since starting this. Feel great doing tons of burpees and lifting weights too....but it's a fraction of how good I feel now.

I got my 25lb KB Friday, and it really seems I've even put mass on my shoulders and arms since then. Tons of clean and presses + pullups for the win heh.

I really would like to try doubles, but don't want to fork over the cash for another KB that I will hopefully outgrow soon. I think I may wait until I can successfully press a pood before I think about doubles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads