• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kapital - hippies, Japanese farmers and post-apocalypse survivors

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much how I feel. They create a great overall feel, but most of the pieces in themselves have been unremarkable, even kitsch. When someone compared Bode to Kapital earlier this year, I resisted the comparison, but a lot of what Kapital has been doing lately is on that level of kitschiness.

What's consistently good is the stuff where they go totally nuts on boro. I used to think this was way too expensive, but now Cottle has come along and is charging the same price for what amounts to basically 3-year wash denim with some patches, and well, fleece, it doesn't look so crazy.

I've been really digging a lot of their furoshiki stuff, which I snagged a bunch of. Was totally feeling that. I'm also a fan of the Beethoven themed stuff coming out, and those new patchwork bell bottoms are damn nice. I feel like their current FW stuff is really good and not too kitschy. Maybe just a SS vs FW thing? I feel a lot of brands went hard with the bright colors and eye catching instagram-ish designs this year, maybe due to covid.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much how I feel. They create a great overall feel, but most of the pieces in themselves have been unremarkable, even kitsch. When someone compared Bode to Kapital earlier this year, I resisted the comparison, but a lot of what Kapital has been doing lately is on that level of kitschiness.

What's consistently good is the stuff where they go totally nuts on boro. I used to think this was way too expensive, but now Cottle has come along and is charging the same price for what amounts to basically 3-year wash denim with some patches, and well, fleece, it doesn't look so crazy.

Yeah the boro and Kountry stuff is what I mostly focus on, there is a few pieces here and there from their mainline I like but looking through their stuff, the Kountry stuff is way cooler. I love kitsch, but only if I’m the one injecting it. It’s not expensive or difficult to **** around with ones stuff.

I almost went for the fleece for Cottle only to realize it was only because I was bored. Especially the fit pics, although not bad, just seemed like another boring fleece except for 1000 bucks. Not knocking them, but there are plenty more brands with a craft approach with some more obvious character like Story MFG.

I've been really digging a lot of their furoshiki stuff, which I snagged a bunch of. Was totally feeling that. I'm also a fan of the Beethoven themed stuff coming out, and those new patchwork bell bottoms are damn nice. I feel like their current FW stuff is really good and not too kitschy. Maybe just a SS vs FW thing? I feel a lot of brands went hard with the bright colors and eye catching instagram-ish designs this year, maybe due to covid.
In my opinion, the Beethoven prints feels just as boring, something about those prints feel vaguely H&M graphic T. I guess it’d be cooler if they drew him differently for the sake of fun. I’ll give you the bell bottoms are cool, although I have made my own bell bottoms and since I’m stuck back in Chicago, no way I’m paying American retail for em. Japan retail spoils a man.

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Beethoven prints feels just as boring, something about those prints feel vaguely H&M graphic T. I guess it’d be cooler if they drew him differently for the sake of fun. I’ll give you the bell bottoms are cool, although I have made my own bell bottoms and since I’m stuck back in Chicago, no way I’m paying American retail for em. Japan retail spoils a man.

Can totally understand that. I've played the piano for a number of years, so that's probably why the Beethoven stuff strikes a chord with me.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Beethoven stuff too but it feels a little too loungewear for me, I already have enough. This outfit stood out for me. Debated getting the sweatpants but I couldn't really see myself wearing it outside too much.

FW20 doesn't seem as strong as previous seasons but they still have a few interesting things. Like this print:

I think they're bringing back the leopard fleece full zip too(?), will kop that when it drops. Hoping it drops soon, they did a small restock on the damask and a full restock on the maize already.

Last edited:

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of those prints are cool and I'm a sucker for thing with Virgin Mary images. Even prior to kapital ****** was putting patches with Maria stencils on stuff. There was a fleece on one of the more recent lookbooks with an image and I got excited haha.

I know most people probably feel the same way for that as I do the beethoven stuff.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m kinda feeling this maze print:

5A8D041F-56C8-4CAB-98BF-C54DDB193C2E.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you get your stuff from mercari? You live in japan?

They have international support through buyee.jp - which also does zozotown (a whole load of labels on there like 45r)

illiterate

Reaction score
Yeah, buyee is pretty good. Really fast service. Only downside is that they don't let you adjust the invoice to lower the parcel value to avoid duties like ZenMarket does. For Americans it doesn't matter as much but non-Americans can get hit pretty hard with them.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't bandana almanac selling that on Grailed for even cheaper like a month ago? Looks good either way, I almost jumped on it but knew I didn't need more chore costs haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads