• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in there a couple of months ago and was impressed with the shirt quality for the price. They also had a small, well edited selection of ties and squares.

The knit buttondown shirts were a great idea, well executed.

I've also sold other pre-owned shirts by the parent company, shirts with labels like Bowbells House or Maker's Shirt, and they do hold up -- no cheap collar-shrinking interlinings like CT, for example.

This is their first sales point in the US, so if you want something they don't have, tell them -- they are trying very hard to learn our market.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
I stopped by this evening and bought 4 shirts, I highly recommend stopping by.
This is a Japanese shop, with super polite and knowledgeable staff. As I was leaving the person who I paid at the back of the shop sprinted to the front of the store to open the door and bow!

Other good stuff
1. Open late til 8 pm
2. The "try on shirt" makes things easier
3. I am a relatively chunky American 17.5 x 36.5 w/ 47 chest, 40 waist and regular size fit me perfectly
4. For us clothes nerds each shirt has the fabric description sown below the label

Won't say bad stuff, but things to note
1. Small store, so relatively small selection of fabrics and options (Reg and trim, button down and spread collar, some spread collars offer french cuffs)
2. One dressing room, if that is full you use the employee break room

dusttruffle

Reaction score
wonder what the MTM pricing will be.

BB ESF 16x34 is just a little off for me. a little too slim and tapered in the waist for my taste (i doesn't seem a "natural shape")
although it does fit, except for the annoyance that the shoulders are a little large for me.

my best fit was a the poplin Slim Fit PRL - although i had to go down to 15.5 collar. Same with ctshirts extra slim. although i found the half inch different between the 15.5 and the 16 to be great that half an inch
baldy[1].gif

have never ordered MTM shirts before, but the chance of MTM OCBD will not be able to be resisted as long as the price is not too much.

Last edited:

SloopyNoob

Reaction score
Stopped by the store over the weekend. Very pleasant experience. Staff were very polite. I couldn't find a shirt that fits me well so I'm probably going to wait for their MTM, which they said is coming in August.

I did ask the salesman about pricing on their MTM. He had no idea but guessed it would be $150 and up.

violethour1951

Reaction score
One of the sales associates informed me that Kamakura's online store will go live around the end of April.

As of today you can actually browse parts of the online store, but you cannot yet make purchases. It's useful to look over their measurement charts, as they have sizes in quarter-inch increments.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped by the store today. The knit ties are great.

ezlau

Reaction score
Anyone has experience with their white knit shirt can describe how opaque is the XinJiang cotton material? I personally don't like my white shirt to be see-through. Also, is the cut on the knit shirts really slim? It would help if someone could compare their sizes that they wear in other brands with the sizing of the knit shirts (S,M,L etc).

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive shopped them in the tokyo stores (under unfortunate uninspired name Makers Shirt). shirts seem undersized relative to marking. really small cuffs. nice dart. great fabric - atleast on the ones i bought.

this was before they apparently opened USA stores. wonder if the stock/selection is the same

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fit on the Tokyo Slim model looks nice

style_shirt.jpg

Size Yoke Chest Body Length
14 1/2 - 32 18 40 30 1/2
15 - 32 1/2 18 41 1/2 31
15 - 33 1/2 18 42 31
15 1/3 - 32 1/2 18 1/2 43 1/2 31 1/2
15 1/3 - 34 1/3 18 1/2 43 1/2 31 1/2
15 3/4 - 33 19 45 32
16 - 33 1/2 19 1/2 46 1/2 32 1/2
16 - 35 19 1/2 46 1/2 32 1/2
16 1/2 - 34 19 1/2 48 32 1/2
17 - 34 1/3 20 49.5 33

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/content_en_USD_8.html

goods_190_1.jpg

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't help but chuckle at the branding of "Xinjiang Cotton." The region is always in the news for something else...

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting.

Xinjiang: Islamic extremism extremely long cotton fibers :D

CalGuy13

Reaction score
Can anyone compare the four fits (New York/Tokyo and Standard/Slim) to Brooks Brothers Slim? I tried using the measurement chart on their site, but it didn't correspond well (I.e., the chest size on the Kamakura Slim was significantly larger than how I measured a BB Slim pit-to-pit).

I'm a medium in BB Slim sport shirts, and a 15.5/34 in BB Slim dress shirts.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare the four fits (New York/Tokyo and Standard/Slim) to Brooks Brothers Slim? I tried using the measurement chart on their site, but it didn't correspond well (I.e., the chest size on the Kamakura Slim was significantly larger than how I measured a BB Slim pit-to-pit).

I'm a medium in BB Slim sport shirts, and a 15.5/34 in BB Slim dress shirts.
I have BB ESF 16/33. I also have a Japanese Slim fit 16/33.5. The BB is slightly wider in the shoulders and trimmer in the waist. I don't own any BB Slim, but my guess is the waist is comparable, while the shoulders and chest are larger in BB Slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads