• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash all my shirts in cold on delicate cycle and I'm curious how well the pinpoint shirts iron and resist wrinkles?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wash all my shirts in cold on delicate cycle and I'm curious how well the pinpoint shirts iron and resist wrinkles?

I do the same and they wrinkle with wear. Nothing out of the norm. I always iron mine when damp or spray them with a spray bottle. I like their pinpoints.

monco

Reaction score
I've been scrutinizing the Kamakura shirts and they look very nice. The only thing I'm concerned about is the sizing. I usually wear 17/43 slim fit (Barba, RL, Eton, SS). Is the tokyo slim fit a lot tighter than the usual slim fit? It seems that some people think their sleeves are way off in length. Too short I assume? Which fit would you recommend for me in Kamakura shirts?

Would appreciate advice on this matter.

Regards,

Clint

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend that you measure shirts which fit you well and compare them with those given in centimeters on the Kamakura website. It's the only real way of guaranteeing you order the right size.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the Tokyo slim compare to Brook Brothers extra-slim-fit?

I'm a 14.5 in BB ESF, the chest fits me good, but the waist could be a little more tapered. Also the neck size could be a little bigger as well. I didn't go for the 15 in BB since the chest area would be too big for me.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have just introduced the "Vintage Oxford" shirts, anyone know more?

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_596.html

How do the Tokyo slim compare to Brook Brothers extra-slim-fit? 

I'm a 14.5 in BB ESF, the chest fits me good, but the waist could be a little more tapered. Also the neck size could be a little bigger as well. I didn't go for the 15 in BB since the chest area would be too big for me. 

It's similar but more comfortable in the chest /armholes and it's tapered and darted do it doesn't have the annoying waist fullness of the ESF.

Verniza

Reaction score
I've taken the plunge. Hopefully it works out considering I have a borderline 15.75 - 16 neck with a 37 chest which they so coincidentally recommend for that particular size.

Hopefully the fact they are asians mean they make shirts that fit asians and their weird proportions.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are discussed at length in the thread. I own the chambray and am thinking of getting another chambray. Great shirt.

I was talking of these:

goods_596_3.jpg

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have just introduced the "Vintage Oxford" shirts, anyone know more?

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_596.html
It's similar but more comfortable in the chest /armholes and it's tapered and darted do it doesn't have the annoying waist fullness of the ESF.

Are you sure it's more comfortable in the chest area?

I find the chest and the waist area to be tighter than BB ESF after trying it.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you sure it's more comfortable in the chest area? 

I find the chest and the waist area to be tighter than BB ESF after trying it. 

It's very difficult to compare the same size of both due to kamakura sizing,

But that was my impression comparing a ESF made in usa oxford 15,5 to a Kamakura oxford 15 3/4
Kamakura feels more confortable in the armholes probably due to softer fabric.

Last edited:

Simplicio

Reaction score
I stopped by the Manhattan store yesterday to place a MTM order. As has been mentioned, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I'm going with the NY slim fit, customized to get the details right. My shirt will be a combination of three different standard shirts: the 39 neck, the 40 sleeves, and the 41 body. I may have to have the waist taken in when I get it, but I will wait to see. (The MTM option does not allow that to be tweaked.) I think this is going to be good. If the test shirt works I plan to re-order in different fabrics.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Gotcha. Since Kamakura shirts are not sprayed on with non-iron agents, the shirt is much softer and drapes better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads