1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mothon

mothon Well-Known Member

Ordered my first shirt to see how they fit me. It should be waiting for me when I get home next week. They really do have amazing customer service. Hopefully I will post some pics when it arrives.

2. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Well-Known Member

They have some gorgeous wool squares in the store gents. Their tie and square offering online isn't representative at all

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Stopped by last Friday because I thought they had gotten my size in for the blue OCBD, but arms were too short. Did see what I was told was Japanese cordovan small leather goods. Was contemplating the coinholder, but then decided to pass.

4. believeland

believeland Member

Can someone speak to the stock in their online store? It seems like it's gotten awful short on oxfords (no more pink, no more green stripe) and a customer service rep told me there's no plan to produce more of those soon.

What's goin' on? All I want are some more nice OCBDS :(

5. Winston S.

My size finally came in for the Blue OCBD. I had to go up in size because the smaller size was too small in the shoulders and across the chest. The arms are longer on this size though so I will need to do some shrinking to get them to the most optimal length. I am a Brooks Brothers ESF 15-33 and went with the Kamakura Tokyo Slim Fit in 39-87. Not sure what that translates into for the American sizing as I always spoke to the person helping me in Japanese sizes.

Not fit pic right now. In packaging;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  6. Winston S.

Pre-wash fit pic, could be more tapered in the waist area.:

[​IMG]

Collar roll
    [​IMG]

7. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the prewash photos. Actually the sleeves don't look long in the pictures, even though 87 cm is 34.25 inches. How do they feel to you? Also how snug is the collar?
    My neck measures at 15.25 inches so I usually wear a 15.5-33 extra slim. The collar is a touch loose but 15 is definitely too snug. I asked kamakura and they recommended their Tokyo Slim 15.75-33 over your size (15 1/3 - 34.25) but I am concerned the neck will be too big and the body too blousy in the larger size.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Question for long time buyers of this brand. Recently they made some changes to the NY Slim Fit. The shirts in my size used to be 16 1/2 x 36 1/3, but are now listed as 16 1/2 x 36 1/2. I'm happy they made the sleeves longer, but am curious if any other changes were made to the shirt's overall fit. Was it just the sleeve length? I ask because I own one of the older models at 36 1/3 that I bought off eBay, BNWT and would like to order the more.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Those are very reasonably priced too. I wonder if they'll hit the NYC store any time soon.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

12. Winston S.

I think if they did, they would be priced a little higher. I believe the shirts sell for around $50 - $60 in JPY, but are $80 in USD.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Knit jackets, trousers, shirts...Once Kamakura makes the full transition to the US I will move up from Uniqlo. Both are from Japan :smarmy:

15. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

Once you throw in shipping (which is pretty blood quick from Japan), I don't bother.

If I was doing a huge order, sure I'd consider forwarding it - but when I buy my shirts from Kamakura 2 at a time - meh.

16. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

I've asked multiple times at the NYC store about other products they sell in Japan. Sounds like they are sticking to shirts in NYC.

17. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

When I visited, I asked about their other products and they indicated that they had no plans of stocking any non-shirts/accessories pieces any time soon.

1 person likes this.
  18. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

The store is pretty small and they probably don't have the space to stock many other products. They seem very accommodating though, I wonder would they special order any of the other items and wave the shipping costs? Anyone asked them yet?

19. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

I asked an associate recently when they were going to start stocking jackets and was told that they cant find a tailor to partner with that will meet their price point. She said that finishing the sleeves on a blazer in Japan is approx $5, but they cant find a tailor in NY to do it for less than $20. The company has an extremely Japanese point of view about running a business especially around service and cost.

All of the clothes on the mannequin in the window are Kakmakura products (sports jacket, trousers, shoes).

20. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Killer wool ties at the NYC store and @$69 a real steal!