Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TonioKroger

TonioKroger Well-Known Member

Some little bean paste thing...delicious.

2. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I wash all my shirts in cold on delicate cycle and I'm curious how well the pinpoint shirts iron and resist wrinkles?

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I do the same and they wrinkle with wear. Nothing out of the norm. I always iron mine when damp or spray them with a spray bottle. I like their pinpoints.

4. monco

monco New Member

I've been scrutinizing the Kamakura shirts and they look very nice. The only thing I'm concerned about is the sizing. I usually wear 17/43 slim fit (Barba, RL, Eton, SS). Is the tokyo slim fit a lot tighter than the usual slim fit? It seems that some people think their sleeves are way off in length. Too short I assume? Which fit would you recommend for me in Kamakura shirts?

Would appreciate advice on this matter.

Regards,

Clint

5. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I would recommend that you measure shirts which fit you well and compare them with those given in centimeters on the Kamakura website. It's the only real way of guaranteeing you order the right size.

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

How do the Tokyo slim compare to Brook Brothers extra-slim-fit?

I'm a 14.5 in BB ESF, the chest fits me good, but the waist could be a little more tapered. Also the neck size could be a little bigger as well. I didn't go for the 15 in BB since the chest area would be too big for me.

7. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

They have just introduced the "Vintage Oxford" shirts, anyone know more?

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_596.html

It's similar but more comfortable in the chest /armholes and it's tapered and darted do it doesn't have the annoying waist fullness of the ESF.

8. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

They are discussed at length in the thread. I own the chambray and am thinking of getting another chambray. Great shirt.

9. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

I've taken the plunge. Hopefully it works out considering I have a borderline 15.75 - 16 neck with a 37 chest which they so coincidentally recommend for that particular size.

Hopefully the fact they are asians mean they make shirts that fit asians and their weird proportions.

10. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I was talking of these:

[​IMG]

11. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

interesting. it appears to only offered in the tokyo slim? Not sure what the diff is btw these and the standard ocbd? i could swing by the shop on my way to lunch, though they'll laugh at me when I ask about a tokyo slim fit!

12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Are you sure it's more comfortable in the chest area?

I find the chest and the waist area to be tighter than BB ESF after trying it.

13. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

It's very difficult to compare the same size of both due to kamakura sizing,

But that was my impression comparing a ESF made in usa oxford 15,5 to a Kamakura oxford 15 3/4
    Kamakura feels more confortable in the armholes probably due to softer fabric.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  14. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

I stopped by the Manhattan store yesterday to place a MTM order. As has been mentioned, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I'm going with the NY slim fit, customized to get the details right. My shirt will be a combination of three different standard shirts: the 39 neck, the 40 sleeves, and the 41 body. I may have to have the waist taken in when I get it, but I will wait to see. (The MTM option does not allow that to be tweaked.) I think this is going to be good. If the test shirt works I plan to re-order in different fabrics.

15. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:Gotcha. Since Kamakura shirts are not sprayed on with non-iron agents, the shirt is much softer and drapes better.