• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just spent $900 at Jos Bank

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. As stated I do need a black suit but I don't mind getting 1 black, tailor the one I have now and then getting a navy suit.

My budget is around 700 800 before alterations
If you need a black suit and don't know what you're looking at, stick to suit supply.

Suit supply

Suit supply

I think I'll mention it one more time.

Suit supply.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is correct - if you sort by black, only the Tux shows up on the site.

Given that you won't need a black suit too often, and will someday own a better one and not have the job you have now, I don't see the harm in getting the Jos A Bank one tailored and riding it out.

Bring them to a good tailor and see what they recommend first.

I really would never recommend you go out and get multiple black suits and spend $600+ per.

And you need to decide how long you'll have this job and will need to wear a black suit on a regular basis, too.

It would be rather foolish to spend too much on this stuff if it's just a temporary situation.

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit supply does not have black suits at the moment
I apologize then.

Or maybe you should.. wear a tux?!

Given that you won't need a black suit too often, and will someday own a better one and not have the job you have now, I don't see the harm in getting the Jos A Bank one tailored and riding it out.
I 100% agree with this. Take that $900 and buy a..

Crappy suit
Nice shirts
Nice shoes
Nice socks.

Then when you're out of that job, hopefully, you can get a better suit.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bring them to a good tailor and see what they recommend first.

I really would never recommend you go out and get multiple black suits and spend $600+ per.

And you need to decide how long you'll have this job and will need to wear a black suit on a regular basis, too.

It would be rather foolish to spend too much on this stuff if it's just a temporary situation.

Definitely this. Given what he needs this suit for, get the cheapest thing he can that fits and just ride it out. It's not worth sinking money into a wardrobe that you 1) are required to wear and that 2) looks bad by definition.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't often recommend a narrow lapeled suit/jacket but J Crew Ludlow suits cost $425 and several different fabrics are available in black.

I think that's worth some consideration, too, in this particular situation.

bgp001

Reaction score
Why are you even considering dropping this much money on attire for a retail banking position? This is Chase Bank not JPM. Get measured by a real tailor, then find a suit on eBay that matches your measurements. You can find decent, hardly worn suits for less than $150 on eBay all day long. Buy two, get them tailored, and in six months interview for a new job. No one sticks in retail for very long, so why bother investing in a wardrobe you'll never use.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
I believe OP also posted this in the "Ask a question, get an answer" thread, and the background is that he works at a Chase retail branch, which, I **** you not, requires its employees to wear a black suit.

Or, in lieu of a suit, they can wear a Chase-branded sweater
facepalm.gif
I wish I were making this up.

Quoting Van Veen:
OP, given that this dress code is completely insane, that you will never look good wearing what they require, and that you (hopefully?) don't want this job for the long-term, buy the cheapest thing you can. 4 suits for $900 ain't bad. Just buy the closest thing to your size and have them tailored (sleeve and trouser length, take in the waist, etc).

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you even considering dropping this much money on attire for a retail banking position? This is Chase Bank not JPM. Get measured by a real tailor, then find a suit on eBay that matches your measurements. You can find decent, hardly worn suits for less than $150 on eBay all day long. Buy two, get them tailored, and in six months interview for a new job. No one sticks in retail for very long, so why bother investing in a wardrobe you'll never use.

Don't stress out about this dress code, since this is (probably?) a temporary job. You don't know if you will like this job, so there's no reason to spend $900 for your dress code before your first day.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's the case then I'd just get something at a Goodwill etc. and have it altered. If that's the case then I'd just get something at a Goodwill etc. and have it altered.

This thread has now come full circle, from advising OP to return his JAB suits to buy quality suits (MTM, Brooks Brothers or Suit Supply) to now telling OP to return his JAB suits in order to wear whatever he finds at Goodwill. As far as OP, now that he is thoroughly confused, I'm sure he is now looking in the mirror and thinking that maybe the JAB fit is not so bad after all. Gotta love Styleforum.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has now come full circle, from advising OP to return his JAB suits to buy quality suits (MTM, Brooks Brothers or Suit Supply) to now telling OP to return his JAB suits in order to wear whatever he finds at Goodwill. As far as OP, now that he is thoroughly confused, I'm sure he is now looking in the mirror and thinking that maybe the JAB fit is not so bad after all. Gotta love Styleforum.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH WHEN TALKING ABOUT STYLEFORUM

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing is terribly wrong with Jos A. Bank if you know what you're doing. As long as the shoulder and chest size are appropriate for your body then anything else can be altered. 900 for 3/4 suits is a great deal especially since you're just starting out so I wouldn't worry about what you purchases (just as long as the fundamentals fit you). Spending $100-200 on alterations for suits you will be wearing everyday for years is pretty reasonable to me. Actually that's a minor $50 per suit, which suggests what you purchased fits pretty well. Also, if they don't fit, then you can probably return them just as long as no alterations have been made.

PS - Just re-read the OP and some responses. Since the suits don't fit, I would return half of them and survive on the others until you can get more. There's really nothing preventing you from buying more Jos A Bank just as long as you make sure they actually fit before handing over your credit card. So go back to the store ASAP and return/exchange whatever you haven't warn or altered. At that price point and your level of knowledge about clothes/style, I would suggest buying very low priced suits until you know about what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads