1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Just spent $900 at Jos Bank

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kevinwang1219, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Try Jos A Bank, MW, even maybe H&M. Get something that looks reasonable, and costs less.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Good call on H&M.

Never thought I'd think H&M was a good suggestion...

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I wouldn't often recommend a narrow lapeled suit/jacket but J Crew Ludlow suits cost $425 and several different fabrics are available in black.

I think that's worth some consideration, too, in this particular situation.

4. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

Why are you even considering dropping this much money on attire for a retail banking position? This is Chase Bank not JPM. Get measured by a real tailor, then find a suit on eBay that matches your measurements. You can find decent, hardly worn suits for less than $150 on eBay all day long. Buy two, get them tailored, and in six months interview for a new job. No one sticks in retail for very long, so why bother investing in a wardrobe you'll never use.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. FillW

FillW Senior member

6. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Don't stress out about this dress code, since this is (probably?) a temporary job. You don't know if you will like this job, so there's no reason to spend $900 for your dress code before your first day.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This thread has now come full circle, from advising OP to return his JAB suits to buy quality suits (MTM, Brooks Brothers or Suit Supply) to now telling OP to return his JAB suits in order to wear whatever he finds at Goodwill. As far as OP, now that he is thoroughly confused, I'm sure he is now looking in the mirror and thinking that maybe the JAB fit is not so bad after all. Gotta love Styleforum.

1 person likes this.
  8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH WHEN TALKING ABOUT STYLEFORUM

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Nothing is terribly wrong with Jos A. Bank if you know what you're doing. As long as the shoulder and chest size are appropriate for your body then anything else can be altered. 900 for 3/4 suits is a great deal especially since you're just starting out so I wouldn't worry about what you purchases (just as long as the fundamentals fit you). Spending $100-200 on alterations for suits you will be wearing everyday for years is pretty reasonable to me. Actually that's a minor $50 per suit, which suggests what you purchased fits pretty well. Also, if they don't fit, then you can probably return them just as long as no alterations have been made.

PS - Just re-read the OP and some responses. Since the suits don't fit, I would return half of them and survive on the others until you can get more. There's really nothing preventing you from buying more Jos A Bank just as long as you make sure they actually fit before handing over your credit card. So go back to the store ASAP and return/exchange whatever you haven't warn or altered. At that price point and your level of knowledge about clothes/style, I would suggest buying very low priced suits until you know about what you're looking for.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

*signaling to the Starbucks barista to cut off Jester*

1 person likes this.
  11. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

This response goes against the usual SF advice, but, based on the fact you are buying for an entry-level retail banking job, I think it will be cost-effective and "good enough" for now.

If you already have a black suit that fits reasonably well and is in good condition, I'd wear that jacket daily for the first two weeks and buy buy two pairs of black wool dress pants, then wear them in rotation with the existing suit pants. The black pants won't "match" exactly, but will definitely be "close enough" for an entry level employee. As long as your "suit" fits and is clean/pressed, you'll likely look better than most in your position. Within a few weeks, you'll know if you want to stick with Chase for at least the foreseeable future. Presuming you determine you like it there, then you can find an affordable black suit that you actually like. I think some stores carry suit separates, where you could buy one jacket and two or three pairs of pants since the pants will wear significantly faster than the jacket. Also, I'd probably take advantage of the low-cost option of wearing the Chase sweater in lieu of a suit jacket.

12. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

This.

Also when I checked that link, they really need to rethink that dress code.

13. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

I think try Macy's too - it is possible to get suits there for $250, especially if you look for sales on their website. Also Lands End (yes, I know the people here will mock me - but http://putthison.com/post/1201026741/a-basic-suit-a-few-people-have-asked-me-what-the

Four suits is a lot to buy at once - you could end up making a big mistake. I only have cheap suits ($200 to $500 so in your price range) and some I love (J Crew Aldridge, Uniqlo, Brooks Brothers) and some I don't (Tommy Hilfiger) with some (Lands End) in the middle. If I'd bought them all at once I might have made a big mistake.

If you can, buy two cheap suits now, from the places I mention or sskim's places or similar. And then in a few weeks, once you have a better understanding of what you want - either get another or or two cheap suits or something of higher quality. And then in a few months when you can afford it, repeat.

Also, good fit is key. The problem with the suit I don't like is fit. Whereas the cheap Uniqlo suits I have fit me great (with a little tailoring). Good fit on the suits and shirts, nice shoes, decent belt. That's key.

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

For a guy in the OPs position, getting four JAB suits for $900 is probably not a bad strategy. Did he say what grade they were? If they were Signature or, better yet, Signature Gold, then it's a pretty good deal if he can look halfway decent in them. I think I picked up in my cursory tour of this thread that he is working for Chase, and I am aware that Chase employees are forced to wear black suits. In similar circumstances, I might well avail myself of JAB.

With the passing of a few years and as he moves up in the hierarchy, he can start phasing out the JABs in favor of better suits.

Come to think it over I had a meeting with some of the people at a nearby Chase since I have some money invested through them. It was there that I learned that they are forced to wear black suits, and the investment consultant, money manager or whatever he was was wearing a suit from, guess where...JAB! (The conversation arose because the bankers effusively complimented me on my suit from WWC.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Returned the suits yet? If so, again buy in person. But probably don't buy from Jos A. Bank (or Macy's or Men's Wearhouse). Nordstrom Rack might be the best option in the LA area for discounted quality suits, though its selection probably will include many colors and patterns that are too bold for banking. Of course we the readers have no idea how anything fits on you, which leads into issues with having to pay to tailor items. Side question: does Chase allow subtle patterns in its employees' black clothing?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  16. kevinwang1219

kevinwang1219 Member

I returned the suit. Thank you everyone who answered this thread!

I am gonna buy another cheap black suit from a broker and then pick up 2 suits from either bb or ss still deciding between the two for other uses.

17. kevinwang1219

kevinwang1219 Member

I was leaning towards the 1818 Milano from bb but am scared its too trendy and not business appropriate

18. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Milano's only 'trendy' compared to the Madison. A 'trendy' suit would be black fleece.

If you have high shoulders, the Milano is your best bet since it has soft shoulder construction. The length of the jacket is also moderate (30' BOC for a 40R).

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Agreed. Try it on and see how it fits you. It may not be as short on you as you think. The high button point may be another issue. I would also think twice about buying more than one black suit. As others mentioned, you have no idea how long you are going to stay in this job.

20. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I love how, when learning about the black suit dress code, everyone is assuming the OP will not want to keep his job for very long and telling him to go as cheap as possible (Goodwill, or odd black trousers to "match" the suit jacket) because there is no way he can possibly want to work at this job for more than a few weeks.

I do agree that the JAB deal isn't too bad if you need 4 black suits and just don't want to sink a lot of money on them.