• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just spent $900 at Jos Bank

southbound35

Reaction score
This response goes against the usual SF advice, but, based on the fact you are buying for an entry-level retail banking job, I think it will be cost-effective and "good enough" for now.

If you already have a black suit that fits reasonably well and is in good condition, I'd wear that jacket daily for the first two weeks and buy buy two pairs of black wool dress pants, then wear them in rotation with the existing suit pants. The black pants won't "match" exactly, but will definitely be "close enough" for an entry level employee. As long as your "suit" fits and is clean/pressed, you'll likely look better than most in your position. Within a few weeks, you'll know if you want to stick with Chase for at least the foreseeable future. Presuming you determine you like it there, then you can find an affordable black suit that you actually like. I think some stores carry suit separates, where you could buy one jacket and two or three pairs of pants since the pants will wear significantly faster than the jacket. Also, I'd probably take advantage of the low-cost option of wearing the Chase sweater in lieu of a suit jacket.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe OP also posted this in the "Ask a question, get an answer" thread, and the background is that he works at a Chase retail branch, which, I **** you not, requires its employees to wear a black suit.

Or, in lieu of a suit, they can wear a Chase-branded sweater :facepalm: I wish I were making this up.

Quoting Van Veen:
OP, given that this dress code is completely insane, that you will never look good wearing what they require, and that you (hopefully?) don't want this job for the long-term, buy the cheapest thing you can. 4 suits for $900 ain't bad. Just buy the closest thing to your size and have them tailored (sleeve and trouser length, take in the waist, etc).

This.

Also when I checked that link, they really need to rethink that dress code.

(2) Shirts are to be worn buttoned up. Undergarments should not be visible unless it is the collar of crew neck T-shirt or mock/turtleneck shirt.

jt10000

Reaction score
One of the things you do not mention is your budget. You have $900 for 4 suits. Quantity wise, you aren't going to get a better deal than that. HOWEVER, if you want better quality suits that won't break the bank, you can use that initial $900 for 2 suits and like what other people have stated slowly build your collection.

I'd hit up stores like Nordstrom Rack, Century 21, Off Saks Fifth, Syms, as well as any outlet stores near by.

Brands I would recommend:
Hickey by Hickey Freeman, Jack Victor, Joseph Abboud, Hardwick, Hart Shaffner Marx, Brooks Brothers 346 (outlet line)....

Colors:
Start off with Gray/Charcoal and Navy as the two suit purchases

Assuming that budget is a concern, once you purchase your first two, then you can build your wardrobe in a couple of different ways:
1) look for better brands at various stores
2) use the thrift store on forums
3) ebay --> do your research before committing

Also search the forums more and it will help you a bunch.

I think try Macy's too - it is possible to get suits there for $250, especially if you look for sales on their website. Also Lands End (yes, I know the people here will mock me - but http://putthison.com/post/1201026741/a-basic-suit-a-few-people-have-asked-me-what-the

Four suits is a lot to buy at once - you could end up making a big mistake. I only have cheap suits ($200 to $500 so in your price range) and some I love (J Crew Aldridge, Uniqlo, Brooks Brothers) and some I don't (Tommy Hilfiger) with some (Lands End) in the middle. If I'd bought them all at once I might have made a big mistake.

If you can, buy two cheap suits now, from the places I mention or sskim's places or similar. And then in a few weeks, once you have a better understanding of what you want - either get another or or two cheap suits or something of higher quality. And then in a few months when you can afford it, repeat.

Also, good fit is key. The problem with the suit I don't like is fit. Whereas the cheap Uniqlo suits I have fit me great (with a little tailoring). Good fit on the suits and shirts, nice shoes, decent belt. That's key.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a guy in the OPs position, getting four JAB suits for $900 is probably not a bad strategy. Did he say what grade they were? If they were Signature or, better yet, Signature Gold, then it's a pretty good deal if he can look halfway decent in them. I think I picked up in my cursory tour of this thread that he is working for Chase, and I am aware that Chase employees are forced to wear black suits. In similar circumstances, I might well avail myself of JAB.

With the passing of a few years and as he moves up in the hierarchy, he can start phasing out the JABs in favor of better suits.

Come to think it over I had a meeting with some of the people at a nearby Chase since I have some money invested through them. It was there that I learned that they are forced to wear black suits, and the investment consultant, money manager or whatever he was was wearing a suit from, guess where...JAB! (The conversation arose because the bankers effusively complimented me on my suit from WWC.)

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Returned the suits yet? If so, again buy in person. But probably don't buy from Jos A. Bank (or Macy's or Men's Wearhouse). Nordstrom Rack might be the best option in the LA area for discounted quality suits, though its selection probably will include many colors and patterns that are too bold for banking. Of course we the readers have no idea how anything fits on you, which leads into issues with having to pay to tailor items. Side question: does Chase allow subtle patterns in its employees' black clothing?

Last edited:

kevinwang1219

Reaction score
I returned the suit. Thank you everyone who answered this thread!

I am gonna buy another cheap black suit from a broker and then pick up 2 suits from either bb or ss still deciding between the two for other uses.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Milano's only 'trendy' compared to the Madison. A 'trendy' suit would be black fleece.

If you have high shoulders, the Milano is your best bet since it has soft shoulder construction. The length of the jacket is also moderate (30' BOC for a 40R).

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was leaning towards the 1818 Milano from bb but am scared its too trendy and not business appropriate

Milano's only 'trendy' compared to the Madison. A 'trendy' suit would be black fleece.

If you have high shoulders, the Milano is your best bet since it has soft shoulder construction. The length of the jacket is also moderate (30' BOC for a 40R).

Agreed. Try it on and see how it fits you. It may not be as short on you as you think. The high button point may be another issue. I would also think twice about buying more than one black suit. As others mentioned, you have no idea how long you are going to stay in this job.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how, when learning about the black suit dress code, everyone is assuming the OP will not want to keep his job for very long and telling him to go as cheap as possible (Goodwill, or odd black trousers to "match" the suit jacket) because there is no way he can possibly want to work at this job for more than a few weeks.

I do agree that the JAB deal isn't too bad if you need 4 black suits and just don't want to sink a lot of money on them.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how, when learning about the black suit dress code, everyone is assuming the OP will not want to keep his job for very long and telling him to go as cheap as possible (Goodwill, or odd black trousers to "match" the suit jacket) because there is no way he can possibly want to work at this job for more than a few weeks. I do agree that the JAB deal isn't too bad if you need 4 black suits and just don't want to sink a lot of money on them.

Don't be obtuse. The reality is that people do not stay in entry level retail jobs for extended periods of time, which is why OP should not run out and buy three black suits that he may have no use for in a year.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love how, when learning about the black suit dress code, everyone is assuming the OP will not want to keep his job for very long and telling him to go as cheap as possible (Goodwill, or odd black trousers to "match" the suit jacket) because there is no way he can possibly want to work at this job for more than a few weeks. I do agree that the JAB deal isn't too bad if you need 4 black suits and just don't want to sink a lot of money on them.

retail bank positions have absolutely unreal turnover. Its unfortunately not a very desirable job.

Even so, 3 cheap (and I mean DIRT cheap) suits would be the way to go.

This situation cries out for Lauren by Ralph Lauren or similar. You can get them for like $150 and since their black, if they fit even remotely, no one will notice or care.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. Even if he stays there for 2 years, he literally has to wear a uniform, and one that doesn't look good. No reason to sink any sort of money into that--its not something he can get use out of outside of that, so these are not investment pieces. Do the best he can for the least amount of money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads