1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Jermyn III - but Quality???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Philip II's after 20 or so wearings in dry conditions mainly in the office :puzzled: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Just put some lulus on there!

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

Lobbs are overpriced gahbage. There. I said it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Very interesting.

Sounds like you are based in Dubai. Could the very warm and dry weather be the cause of weakening cement bonds?

I only have a few pairs of JL and none of them had this issue. But then I am at California where weather is mild.

6. goodlensboy

Showed the Philip to JL Dubai and told them that the same has happened to my Jermyn III, City and and now Philip in a row. Store manager explained in detail the channel, welt, stiching etc and said they might need to review the composition of the glue used. He took the pictures through his phone to further discuss with the factory in UK. He also suggested that I send my own pics to the re-seller from where I bought the shoes so the re-seller can complain to the factory too

For the fix, he recommended getting it glued through a good shoe repair shop, or adding metal toe tips

I asked whether it's because of extra hot weather or something, said that might be a reason, or the posture, but the factory will be investigating if the composition of the glue needs to change.

Now I've given both City and Philip to The Cobbler for metal tips as the toes were wearing down very fast (cost $27 for each pair)

Overall, it always feel good to talk and interact with JL people, but I was bit surprised that they earlier sent the Jermyn to a 3rd party shoe repair shop for gluing

7. goodlensboy

Philip & City with toe taps by The Cobbler. I was not expecting such a clean job. Now they are putting taps on JLP bespokes of my wife. Don't know what's wrong with the toes on nearly all the JL's - classic, prestige, JLSJ, JLP - that I've got [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chogall

chogall Senior member

Wow those are some very nicely done flush toe taps!!!

So the toe problem also happened to your JL SJ and JL P bespoke??

9. goodlensboy

Yes chogall its a neat job My wife's JLP's toes were not in a good condition (I got shoes 2nd hand). Am not sure the pics are clear to see, but look at the tips [​IMG] [​IMG] So got them some taps [​IMG] And these are JLSJ which I think would be needing some taps after a few wearings [​IMG]

10. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

goodlensboy, that is no defect. Lobb finishes their soles with closed channels, and this neat finishing leads to the sides opening up sooner or later. You can either glue it back on or just wear the pair with loving neglect. They are shoes after all.

11. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

My pair of BB Peal beater shoe, worn once a week for over a year (over 50 wears), has no such defect.

I guess I must have luck out :rolleyes:

12. elsalvatrucha

elsalvatrucha Senior member

Bumping this thread. I had the same problem with the Chapel. After only ten wears or so there is significant separation at the toe.

I took it to the retailer and they agreed to pay for the reparation but disappointing. I never had this problem with Alden and AE.