1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Jermyn III - but Quality???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Sent an email to JL London, believe they would satisfactorily resolve it Took some more pics in day light [​IMG] [​IMG] The left shoe also feels soft [​IMG] Checked City II's - don't look robust either from toes - lightly worn for around 1 month [​IMG] However Gravati still going strong despite heavy wearing for more than a year and poorly treated [​IMG]

2. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

After just wearing them a few times, there is no way I'd try to glue or fix them myself. They would be back on the boat, heading across the pond. Also, if you try glueing yourself or taking them to a local shop, any warranty would probably be voided.
    And as far as taps or toe guards go, they are for tap dancing, aren't they. Anyone walk into my house wearing them on the wood floors, and they're leaving feet first or head first.

3. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

Yes, you're right.And why doesn't he just return them where he bought them and get a replacement? Most of these problems that you read about on SF never happen in real life. The damage is likely due to dragging the feet and not walking correctly.

4. gooter

gooter Senior member

We need an SF approved "how to walk correctly" thread [​IMG]

5. goodlensboy

Dear Mr. _______

I am very sorry to learn of the problem you have experienced with your Jermyn III shoes. thank you for your clear photographs.

Let me first of all apologise for this having happened, but let me also reassure you that the problem, whilst it looks unsightly, is largely a cosmetic one. To achieve a clean finish on the soles, we cut a channel lip into the sole edge, lift it to stitch it and then glue it down over the stitches. It is very rare for this channel lip to lift when the shoes have not been worn prematurely in wet conditions, so I am sorry that this is what has occurred with your pair. Thankfully this is easily remedied by strongly re-securing and waxing the channel lip back in place.

Ideally, our shop in Dubai will be able to do this for you. I have written an email to them to ask them if they are able to, and will contact you upon their reply. If, for any reason they are not able to do the work, we will make arrangements to do it here and swiftly return the shoes to you.

Once again, my apologies for the inconvenience. I will be in touch soon.

With kind regards

6. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Sounds like they're going to glue it back. You could just do it yourself or be without your shoes for a while. I'd rather not hassle with getting the shoes to them, waiting for the repair, and getting the shoes back. I'd get Shoe Goo, as previously mentioned, and fix them myself.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

+1
    that's the real problem and very disappointing on such a shoe.
    I think that there are more people willing to spend that kind of money than those willing to work with a real artisan for the same amount.

8. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Here is a purely random but absolutely typical selection from my shoe wardrobe (the pair I am wearing in my office right now). This pair is from one of the usual Northamptonshire suspects, is about four years old, and is worn on average once a month. Everything is original, as they came out of the box, except for the nylon toe and heel plates. As with all of my shoes, I had a set of the plates installed before ever wearing the shoes (other than try-on on carpet). The heel plates usually last 8-10 outings and the toe plates perhaps 25-30. I walk about two miles on city streets/sidewalks each day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

The Belgrave in suede is a very handsome shoe. My polo tan Bentons were my favorite pair of C&Js.

10. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Not for tap dancing and I also have plenty of wood floors. :uhoh:

11. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

+3, to those trying to explain this away as "normal", I have 400.00 welted shoes that have never separated after years of hard use, this is not "normal" for 1700 shoes to be in the shape showcased after minimal wear.

Clearly a factory defect, contact Lobb.

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think you were absolutely right to address this and have them fix it for you. However I do think I would have first tried to involve whomever you bought it from first, and I may have even looked into trying to get a replacement and not just a repair.

I am glad to hear they are working on correcting the problem for you.

13. goodlensboy

After the repair by JL - they mentioned it's very minor, normal and nothing major. Whatever, but the service is very good and complete peace of mind [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^It's good to know that JL took care of the issue.

15. goodlensboy

Yes, I do hope they remain as it is

I also showed them to The Cobblers - they said JL done a very good repair job, and that sometimes it also happens to their shoes no matter how good they glue it, bad luck happens sometimes - on shoes from all makers :confused:

16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Things do happen, however it's how they address issues when they occur that often seperates the good from the bad.

Glad to hear it has been addressed to your satisfaction.

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

Did you take them to a retail store and have them fix the pair?

18. goodlensboy

Yes, originally I bought from JL London via email ordering, but I live in Dubai so upon getting this issue I first emailed JL London who liased with JL Dubai to sort it out locally for me. Otherwise I had to send them back to London

19. goodlensboy

Many thanks all for guidance and support throughout

PS - wife's bespoke are due to arrive next week - will see how do they go

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  20. chogall

chogall Senior member

bespoke JLP? :O

What a nice way to win spousal approval for own bespoke projects!!