1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Jermyn III - but Quality???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Don't know if I should laugh or cry John Lobb Prestige Jermyn III No S or R, worn around 10 times for a couple of hours mainly inside the office [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

you should do neither.

Apply some glue and glue the leather back on. That's how they do it at the Lobb factory anyway.

3. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Not a defect. That happens to closed channel soles sometimes. It's normal. I'd get some contact cement or "Shoe Goo."

4. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

I would be crying but like the guys are saying give a glue back together and should be all ok

5. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

There seems to be a bit more going on than meets the eye. The channeled sole openning can happen and may mean insufficient use of cement at the factory or poor technique. Esasily repaired though.

More imprtantly however is the small seperation of sole to welt. You can see a gap or step and this may be caused by loose or poor tension of the outsole stitching. Ordinarily both should behave as one.

6. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

60% of my welted shoes separate between the welt and sole like this. EG, Lobb, and C&J all included. That is also a non-issue.

7. JonathanCWalker

How do you like the shoes apart from this issue?

8. theyare

theyare Senior member

For only 10 wears it looks like that whole area of the sole near the toe is worn more than I would think.

Maybe consider flush metal toe plates?

9. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

send the shoes to Nelson for repairing and have them add flush mounted toe plates

[​IMG]

10. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Similar problem with 2 pairs of new JL bought at the Houston NM store late last year. Shoe Goo worked and shoes are alive and well.

Regards.
    PS. B. Nelson just added metal toe plates to 12 pairs of my shoes so i wont face this situation again!:slayer:

11. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Clearly the most sublime RTW shoe ever.... and RTG (ready to glue) and RTFP (ready to flush plate)

I actually did not expect this from a $ 1,700 beauty

12. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

That's too bad, but good on you for not worrying about it.

Personally, I would rather all my welted shoes be in the 40% that don't have this going on. I would also expect more prsetigious shoes to behave better here.

My father, had roughly a dozen well worn Dacks and Church shoes when he retired a decade ago and only one had a little of this going on!

It happens but maybe moreso now than ever (although it shouldn't)

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

I, too, am tough on the toes but no Prestige shoe should look like this unless you've been swimming in them. I'd be curious as to what JL has to say about this. Send them the pics and report back.

14. JonathanCWalker

Looks fantastic but I'm a G&G man but very tempted on trying a pair out next time i'm in JL

15. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

+1

16. kev777

kev777 Senior member

I dont really care what others are saying re glue and sticking the bugga back down, I'd be royally pissed if that happened to me after just 10 wears !!!! Come on fellas thats not right surely to god on a pair of JL's ??? I have plenty of GY Welted shoes from all different manufacturers and NONE have shown this after just 10 wears and to be frank none have shown this at all. Get them back to JL end of !!
    (Is it just me or does the sole at the toe look twisted in that first pic??) :lookaround:

17. JonathanCWalker

I'd be sending them back to JL if it was me and see what they say about it. If he wants a quick fix id say glue but it can't be the best option.

18. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I can understand your disapointment, but what they do in JL is also just glue it.
    Either you glue it yourself, or sent it back to them and they glue it.
    You can say whatever you want to the JL sales, but I don't think it has any effect though.

19. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Totally get that but I'm afraid I'd want JL to do the repair not me, and maybe bringing it to their attention might avert my next pair doing the same. Frankly i may be dreaming here but I'd expect more from JL Prestige especially at their price point and hope they would too !! I would dearly like to think that by buying one of the supposed "top end" manufacturers shoes i wouldnt be sticking soles down ffs especially after just 10 wears. Come on this just isnt me is it ??? I get the odd bit of "patina" or the odd scratch you can polish over but that ???????

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  20. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

In 50 years I've never had that happen to a shoe. It looks like that thin piece of cardboard they put on the soles to hide the stiching came off. Just rip it off you don't need it and in the future stick to high quality shoes like Cole Haan.

1 person likes this.