• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Franko

Reaction score
Hi Gents! I’m considering purchasing a pair of John Lofgren Combat boots and was wondering on peoples opinions on sizing? I’ve seen most places recommend a full size down from Brannock, but I’ve also seen a few say .5 down... Thanks!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents! I’m considering purchasing a pair of John Lofgren Combat boots and was wondering on peoples opinions on sizing? I’ve seen most places recommend a full size down from Brannock, but I’ve also seen a few say .5 down... Thanks!
Do you own any Viberg? If so, I think it's common to take the same size. So some will be 0.5 down and some will be a full down.

Franko

Reaction score
Do you own any Viberg? If so, I think it's common to take the same size. So some will be 0.5 down and some will be a full down.
Thanks! I do have a pair of Viberg 1035 in 9.5. They seem a tad long (I’m Brannock 10) but work since they seem to run a little slim. I think I could have done a 9 in them, but I always err on the side of too big than too small. It looks like the JL Combat boots have a roomier toe box, so going too big there might be more slippage I’m guessing. I have a pair of JL derby shoes in 9.5 which fit great, and why it is all so confusing :)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I do have a pair of Viberg 1035 in 9.5. They seem a tad long (I’m Brannock 10) but work since they seem to run a little slim. I think I could have done a 9 in them, but I always err on the side of too big than too small. It looks like the JL Combat boots have a roomier toe box, so going too big there might be more slippage I’m guessing. I have a pair of JL derby shoes in 9.5 which fit great, and why it is all so confusing :)
I'm in the one down camp in Viberg and have the same brannock as you. I had the combat boots in 9 and they fit well. 9.5 would have been much too big. I'd say the toe box room is similar to the 1035, just more height.

Franko

Reaction score
I'm in the one down camp in Viberg and have the same brannock as you. I had the combat boots in 9 and they fit well. 9.5 would have been much too big. I'd say the toe box room is similar to the 1035, just more height.
Thanks man, super helpful. I almost bought a 9.5 on eBay but am really glad I didn’t 😀

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20230626_100310.jpg

Jack & White Bros

lurker33

Reaction score
How is the fit of those US navy derbies?
Ample volume and width, they are maybe bit long and i get bit of heel slip with lightweight socks if i don't tie them very tight. Super comfortable with medium weight socks, i really enjoy wearing them.

I got them TTS (US11), i think you can comfortably go 0.5 down from brannock if you're not on the higher end of width and volume or plan to only wear thin socks with them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big black boot guy but I have been wanting a pair of the Rolling Dub Trio Casper for a while. Anyway, I got an email notification that they had what I assumed was my size in stock (11). Sizing guidance is all over the place with these. I wear size 12 sneakers and usually 11.5 in boots/shoes. Sizing guidance was to take a full 2 sizes down unless you have a high volume or wide foot. I have no local stockists and most vendors that carry them only allow you to exchange for store credit and by the time you go to exchange, the size you want may be gone.

So, I went with size 11. They came in today. Buttery soft leather that should teacore easily. I'm not 100% sure on the size though. they are not tight once I get my feet in but it is a struggle to put them on. They do feel a little long though. I wish I could try on a size 10 without having to buy them and return one for store credit as it is a significant purchase. However, there is no movement of my foot once in as the vamp is fitted.

Also, I need to keep them away from my seven month puppy in the background as he is a chewer.

IMG_20230731_145906296.jpg
IMG_20230731_145845825_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a big black boot guy but I have been wanting a pair of the Rolling Dub Trio Casper for a while. Anyway, I got an email notification that they had what I assumed was my size in stock (11). Sizing guidance is all over the place with these. I wear size 12 sneakers and usually 11.5 in boots/shoes. Sizing guidance was to take a full 2 sizes down unless you have a high volume or wide foot. I have no local stockists and most vendors that carry them only allow you to exchange for store credit and by the time you go to exchange, the size you want may be gone.

So, I went with size 11. They came in today. Buttery soft leather that should teacore easily. I'm not 100% sure on the size though. they are not tight once I get my feet in but it is a struggle to put them on. They do feel a little long though. I wish I could try on a size 10 without having to buy them and return one for store credit as it is a significant purchase. However, there is no movement of my foot once in as the vamp is fitted.

Also, I need to keep them away from my seven month puppy in the background as he is a chewer.

View attachment 2000157 View attachment 2000159

Welcome back.

I've got a pair of suede RDT Casper's pre-ordered for this Fall sometime.

espen

Reaction score
FWIW with the Casper's...I too struggled getting mine on the first few times. The fine folks at S&S actually suggested working the heel cup a bit (mashing it) to soften it up. I was a little hesitant, considering how much I spent on them, but I have to say, it worked wonders.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads