• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

Jpto

Reaction score
If I may ask, was it a fit issue? Were these from S&S?

These are from dc4.de, length/width are fine but I could use more volume across the top of my foot. I have a high arch/instep and I don't think these are going to ease up enough to be comfortable.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are from dc4.de, length/width are fine but I could use more volume across the top of my foot. I have a high arch/instep and I don't think these are going to ease up enough to be comfortable.
Ah ok thanks. Bummer about the instep. My lace up boots had a low instep as well when new that eventually broke in, but easing the lacing at first helped. Such beautiful engineers, I'm afraid of sizing wrong so I don't know if I could pull the trigger.

Jpto

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks. Bummer about the instep. My lace up boots had a low instep as well when new that eventually broke in, but easing the lacing at first helped. Such beautiful engineers, I'm afraid of sizing wrong so I don't know if I could pull the trigger.

Yeah Clinch sizing is tricky. In case anyone has sizing questions, both S&S and dc4 mentioned to go with my Viberg size 9.5, which, is perfect for length and width but my high instep didn't work out. I think if you have a normal instep these should work.

I'm a 10E on the Brannock
9.5E on the Barrie Last, 9.5D or E on Trubalance depending on the leather
9.5EE White's 55 last/MP last (a bit wide but I think they sized me for volume)

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Clinch sizing is tricky. In case anyone has sizing questions, both S&S and dc4 mentioned to go with my Viberg size 9.5, which, is perfect for length and width but my high instep didn't work out. I think if you have a normal instep these should work.

I'm a 10E on the Brannock
9.5E on the Barrie Last, 9.5D or E on Trubalance depending on the leather
9.5EE White's 55 last/MP last (a bit wide but I think they sized me for volume)
This is good to know cause I'm actually a 10D for the most part. 9.5D TB, 9.5E Barrie and 9.5D on the Whites 55. I could probably get these to work, but I'm not in the market right now as I have some Role Clubs coming in a month or so. Did you find the width the CN wide to be ok?

Jpto

Reaction score
This is good to know cause I'm actually a 10D for the most part. 9.5D TB, 9.5E Barrie and 9.5D on the Whites 55. I could probably get these to work, but I'm not in the market right now as I have some Role Clubs coming in a month or so. Did you find the width the CN wide to be ok?

Nice, my Role Clubs engineers are my favorite boots, waiting to see what Brian is planning for his 10th anniversary boots.

The width on the CN wide is similar to a 2030 Viberg or Barrie last for my feet. YMMV but they are fine for toe room

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, my Role Clubs engineers are my favorite boots, waiting to see what Brian is planning for his 10th anniversary boots.

The width on the CN wide is similar to a 2030 Viberg or Barrie last for my feet. YMMV but they are fine for toe room
Awesome thats good to know. It'll be awhile before I have another $2k to gamble but I think it could work.

I'm getting a pair of Underdogs from Brian first, but then my second order for next year will be engineers. I met him and got measured in person, so I'm hoping at least with his engineers the sizing will be on point.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Awesome thats good to know. It'll be awhile before I have another $2k to gamble but I think it could work.

I'm getting a pair of Underdogs from Brian first, but then my second order for next year will be engineers. I met him and got measured in person, so I'm hoping at least with his engineers the sizing will be on point.

Underdogs are my grail boot. Definitely looking forward to eventually placing my own order for a pair. What makeup did you get?

Jpto

Reaction score
Underdogs are my grail boot. Definitely looking forward to eventually placing my own order for a pair. What makeup did you get?

Just get your deposit in now. Brian's wait list is getting super long, you'll have a couple of years to decide your makeup

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Just get your deposit in now. Brian's wait list is getting super long, you'll have a couple of years to decide your makeup

I probably will sooner rather than later. The urge has been getting strong. I even put together an imgur album to look at lol. Think I'd go for a brown HH one.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm basically just getting a stock Underdog the way Brian originally designed it. He said most people opt for the lower woodsman heel, but I asked him what he'd make for himself and he said full woodsman heel so I went with that. Otherwise, its his standard hand finished horsehide in black, brass hardware and white soles.

Like @Jpto said, I would just put a deposit down now(or two lol) if you can just to get on his list. I've heard its getting close to the end of the '23 now. When I heard he was getting into summer of '22 I put in another deposit right away since I knew I wanted two boots from him.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah! I actually hope he closes the list soon so he can get down on his backlog. I think it's always a good idea to slowly get through production of custom orders before taking on more. Maybe he should release more stuff like the A2. He has all the materials so when I inquired about the shoe, it only took 1-2 months from deposit to in my hands.

The 10 year anniversary is probably gonna be like that. I would love to get something like that, but I already am getting engineers from him sometime this month so no more boots for the rest of the year.

Also I recently moved back to Japan so I'm gonna focus on getting some Clinch Jodhpurs in the future

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peachfuzzmcgee What leather did you go for you engineers? I opted for the super horsehide in black just so it was just a little different than the hand finished horsehide.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went with the black horsehide. I don't believe it's handfinished though, I swear he used stock Horween Horsehide unless asked.

Honestly I'm boring as hell, black engineers with corded soles and white stitching on the welt. As boring as it gets. I considered other options like studs but kept it simple to start.

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I don’t think that’s boring at all, it’s classic. Mine are basically going to be all black with brass buckles. I think with the minimal contrast and details it’ll let the leather and design be the focal point.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I don’t think that’s boring at all, it’s classic. Mine are basically going to be all black with brass buckles. I think with the minimal contrast and details it’ll let the leather and design be the focal point.

I was debating brass or nickel for my buckles and at the end chose to go with nickel. I feel like brass is pretty eye grabbing for some reason. Either way that sounds really good too, I was originally get mine in October but corona or something must of slowed them down because I'm still waiting on them. Not sure when I'll get them but he did said he will ship sometime soon since they are almost ready.

I need more shoes like I need another hole in my head, but I definitely love what I brought with me to Japan. I have slightly larger feet than the common here so most companies don't stock my size sadly so the lucky thing is even though I often see cool shoes. They are never in my size!

Recently I went to the Real Mccoys store and they had shinki cordovan engineers for 2.2k. They looked sick! 11 was the biggest size, I wanted to try it but I have a rule to not try if I don't have any intention to. I wouldn't want it to fit and then all of sudden "NEED" to buy em.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads