• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jan Kielman shoes - internet bespoke service

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look awesome! Really like the last shape. I don't understand why Kielman hasn't become more popular, I think their offering with the "online-bespoke-service" and the great quality for the price is something deserves more attention than it gets.
Wow. that shoe looks great.

Thanks a lot!

Looked into having something made by this guy about a year ago, decided it was a little rich for my blood at the time. Time for a re-visit I think!!

Go for it!

furasek

Reaction score
nothing is too rich..spoil yourself, you will not regret..they are for years!

furasek

Reaction score
It is a small company with traditions but not very well know even by Polish people..I guess they don't spend lots of money for marketing, commercials etc..I found them by accident when I was checking the book about the best small European companies. I have already recommended Kielman to my friends and they are quite happy as well. I Kielman should improve their website and present more shoes..I didn't like many of them from their website but the good thing is they can do whatever you like - they need just a photo. They have some old fashion design shoes which look great too. It is worth to try, that's for sure! esp that company is in the center of the city and Warsaw itself is quite a vibrant city and perfect place for weekend break and really cheap ( the cheapest 5* hotels in Europe ).

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a small company with traditions but not very well know even by Polish people..I guess they don't spend lots of money for marketing, commercials etc..I found them by accident when I was checking the book about the best small European companies. I have already recommended Kielman to my friends and they are quite happy as well. I Kielman should improve their website and present more shoes..I didn't like many of them from their website but the good thing is they can do whatever you like - they need just a photo. They have some old fashion design shoes which look great too. It is worth to try, that's for sure! esp that company is in the center of the city and Warsaw itself is quite a vibrant city and perfect place for weekend break and really cheap ( the cheapest 5* hotels in Europe ).

I'd probably combine a visit to Kielman with a weekend in Warsaw. (Vass with a trip to Budapest too!) The sad thing is that after deciding I couldn't afford them I discovered SF and blew enough on shoes over a six month period to have bought 4 pairs from Kielman, with a trip to Poland for each pair!!

furasek

Reaction score
No problem..you can do it next year :)..combined trip with Budapest is a good idea as it is a great city!! if you need any info about Warsaw just let me know.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No problem..you can do it next year :)..combined trip with Budapest is a good idea as it is a great city!! if you need any info about Warsaw just let me know.

Thanks, I will!

Mifune

Reaction score
Found this pair of Jan Kielman in a thrift store yesterday. I hadn't actually heard of this house before, and a quick search on my phone found this thread - so to you gents, many thanks!

This is the first decent pair of shoes I've ever found while going through thrift stores. The punching, good toebox condition, and the interesting Warsaw reference in the insole caught my eye immediately. Unfortunately the previous owner has stuck Topy on these shoes, and I feel that it affects the balance of the shoe somewhat - will get a cobbler to take the Topy off. Previous owner looks like his feet were a bit small for these shoes, given the amount of creasing on the upper vs the minimal wear on the soles.

Have conditioned with Saphir Renovateur - leather was looking a little dried out. Will continue to nurture these back into good health.

Have tried this pair on (and in comparison to C&J/EG)
- excellent support of the inner arch at the waist, similar to EG (is this the main benefit of handstitching?);
- the toebox looks very "chunky" (traditional?) when I'm wearing them - perhaps it's because I'm accustomed to lasts like the C&J 348, 337 and EG 888?
- the welt along the toebox and outer edges seems to protrude a lot more than EG and C&J handgrade;
- the quarter meets the heel very closely, hardly any gap at all (much less than EG/C&J).

All in all - I'm looking forward to enjoying these!

Do any of you know what last this one is on?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Found this pair of Jan Kielman.........Do any of you know what last this one is on?

Kielman is a bespoke shoemaker. So the shoes would have been made on the bespoke last of whoever ordered these shoes.

agedashidofu

Reaction score
@ JI: So after this long, how does the leather feel? Btw did you choose polish or french calf? And how does it compare to your Bestetti pair?

I really appreciate your articles on both Jan Kielman and Bestetti by the way!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ JI: So after this long, how does the leather feel? Btw did you choose polish or french calf? And how does it compare to your Bestetti pair?

I really appreciate your articles on both Jan Kielman and Bestetti by the way!

The leather holds up pretty well, but it's not on pair with for example Bestetti or Gaziano & Girling. It's French calf from D'Annonay, but I know that they didn't have that much left of the color when I did the purchase. Construction wise they are superb, but it's a whole different school compared to Bestetti, these are much more solid, not as elegant as Bestetti. But like both styles.

Glad you like the buyer's guides! If you haven't seem them there's similar guides to Vass and Meccariello on the blog as well, you'll find them under "Populära inlägg". And will publish a guide to Maftei sometime this summer.

Last edited:

agedashidofu

Reaction score

The leather holds up pretty well, but it's not on pair with for example Bestetti or Gaziano & Girling. It's French calf from D'Annonay, but I know that they didn't have that much left of the color when I did the purchase. Construction wise they are superb, but it's a whole different school compared to Bestetti, these are much more solid, not as elegant as Bestetti. But like both styles.

Glad you like the buyer's guides! If you haven't seem them there's similar guides to Vass and Meccariello on the blog as well, you'll find them under "Populära inlägg". And will publish a guide to Maftei sometime this summer.

Super!!! Looking forward to Maftei as well.
You're the man!!!

agedashidofu

Reaction score

Thanks! Like I wrote in the main post, the fit was a bit too big widthwise. I had measured my feet differently from how the Kielman-personal does it (an obious danger with doing this "distance bespoke"). But since the proportions still are correct to my feet, an insole solved the problem well and now they are really comfortable and fit well. 

JI: How should the feet be measured? Tightly or loosely? Can you help to elaborate more? Thanks a lot!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JI: How should the feet be measured? Tightly or loosely? Can you help to elaborate more? Thanks a lot!

Pretty tight. I measured it too loose, so my shoes came out a bit big. Easily fixed with a thin insole though, and since the proportions were correct they fit great now. Do not expect a perfect fit with your first order though, it's very hard to get it just right first time with own taken measurements and no test shoes. For next order you can easily show pics and describe what needs to be changed.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When "bespoke shoes" don't fit perfectly the first time you don't get a second order. Jfc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads