• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jag S-type or other used sedan, thoughts?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the S-type but hate the X-type. I think you should Ignore the purists and get it if you like it.

Then again, Z brings up an interesting question, why not an older Bentley or rolls? I just checked ebay and prices are quite attractive. I doubt you'll find that level of interior in anything else either.

Z, do you have any idea what insurance would be like on a car like that assuming you have a good driving record?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I really like the S-type but hate the X-type. I think you should Ignore the purists and get it if you like it.

Then again, Z brings up an interesting question, why not an older Bentley or rolls? I just checked ebay and prices are quite attractive. I doubt you'll find that level of interior in anything else either.

Z, do you have any idea what insurance would be like on a car like that assuming you have a good driving record?

Interesting question, but my teenager will be driving this too, so...

Going to drive a couple of used MBs this week, E320 and C280.

Kind of leaning toward a 2003/2004 S-type, but I'd really like to find a 4.2 to compare to the 3.0s I've tested.

Gotta drive a couple of XJ8s this week too. I do like the old body style but it would be a lot of car for the two other drivers in my family.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Interesting question, but my teenager will be driving this too, so...

Going to drive a couple of used MBs this week, E320 and C280.

Kind of leaning toward a 2003/2004 S-type, but I'd really like to find a 4.2 to compare to the 3.0s I've tested.

Gotta drive a couple of XJ8s this week too. I do like the old body style but it would be a lot of car for the two other drivers in my family.

Do you really need a 4.2? For luxury cars i've never cared much about the engine, as long as it's not a total wimp.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Do you really need a 4.2? For luxury cars i've never cared much about the engine, as long as it's not a total wimp.

Way past needs.
Deep into wants.

The 3.0 is fine, but it's more of a high revver and thus a bit out of sorts with the character of the sedan, but yeah, it's fine, or even better than that.

The car mags drooled over the 4.2, though, and there's much to be said for effortless power.

coatandthai

Reaction score
The Jag is a great used car buy if you get a warranty. They depreciate like all heck. The Jag dealers will knock $10k off the price on the lot as you start to walk away mumbling about reliability and Lexus. These cars are impossible to sell used. I also really like the last-generation XJR, which I owned. Fantastic interior, lots of style, power too.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would so go for the XJ8 if it is swingable. True, it is alot of car, but that Jag fits everywhere. It is aclassy, powerful ride for a man, a killer accessory for a woman, and I don't think there are many young males who wouldn't like picking up his date in an XJ8.

But all of that is bosh: buy something that is beautiful and moves your soul. I drive a 20 y.o. car because of the above. No regrets.

Regards,
Huntsman

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I would so go for the XJ8 if it is swingable. True, it is alot of car, but that Jag fits everywhere. It is aclassy, powerful ride for a man, a killer accessory for a woman, and I don't think there are many young males who wouldn't like picking up his date in an XJ8.

But all of that is bosh: buy something that is beautiful and moves your soul. I drive a 20 y.o. car because of the above. No regrets.

Regards,
Huntsman

That's it in a nutshell.

I just got back from driving two Lexuses (Lexi?) and - while I deeply appreciate their competence, and they are so, so competent - they did not reach me at an emotional level.

Taking tomorrow afternoon off to find a couple XJs to drive. Right now the S-type and (visually) the XJ are the only ones I'm excited about. I just have to feel great every time I get in and out of the car. That's one reason I'm bypassing so many standard bearers and looking for that one special car.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find one an early 90's Mercedes 500e would fit your bill, plus they are hella fast. Actually, any early 90's Mercedes or BMW sedan is going to be incredibly solid and fun car to own. However, your heart seems to be set on the Jag. A friend of mine had a late 90's XJR, fantastic interior and bad ass in black with big rims and low profile tires.

A.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An early '90s Mercedes-Benz is not any pinnacle of German engineering.

I suspect Mercedes-Benz's last period of greatness was the early to mid '70s.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, you're killing me with that one.

Unfortunately, no one around to keep it in shape for me, and I'd dread the repairs. Very nice, though.

At the suggestion of others here, I did find an E320 (2002) to drive. I liked it, but my wife couldn't find a comfortable seating position, so that's out. Trying to get to the dealer to drive a used S430 tomorrow.

Drove a Lexus 330 sedan. Boy, they sure do a lot right with the interior; everything you touch is so well thought-out. Killer Mark Levison audio. Still, I can't get past the front-wheel drive driving experience, really need rear- or AWD.

Didn't see anything on the Infiniti lot that I liked, nor Acura.

Tried the BMW 330 sedan, a little on the small side, but that smooth 3-liter six (the 255 hp version), wow! Base 2.5L six was too slow, and is out of the running, along with the MB230 2.6L.

I keep driving slowly past the Audi lot late at night... but I promised myself I'd try something different after two Passats and a Audi.

Best drive to date has been a 2004 XJ8, really, really wonderful, but maybe just a bit more than I wanted to spend. In negotiation.

Thanks for all your tips. Hope to buy next week and post pics.

NKT

Reaction score
If you get a chance, try to test drive an S-type R. It really is a splendid beast of a car.
smile.gif

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NKT
If you get a chance, try to test drive an S-type R. It really is a splendid beast of a car.
smile.gif

I'd be happy with a plain old V8, much less the R. Alas, a bit out of my price range, and I've come across two low-mile examples, so it pains me to even think of it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to the party but remember:
x-type-3.jpg
is based on
Mondeo-lscp-80.jpg
Any given Lexus will have more Jaguar attributes than the X-Type
tounge.gif
HOWEVER: Having driven a european/UK market X-Type it does drive very nicely and smoothly, interior build quality is decent but the chassis is too floppy for my tastes though. Then again considering what I currently drive I am probably not the target buyer (I don't mind stiff suspension and noise). On the other hand, the non-US market Ford Mondeo is actually considered one of the benchmarks of its class so it is not that bad. Suppossedly after Ford's acquisition reliability improved and a lot of Ford's European market offerings are a lot more reliable than the north american market ones. If I were you I would look for a nice older cat though. Maybe an XJ-S (preferably with cream leather and in BR green
biggrin.gif
)

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've driven several x-types and have not been impressed, so it's out of the running. Drive whine, tight space inside, and (for some reason) the cheap interior bits stand out more in the x-type than the s-type.

I'm kind of shifting my thinking toward a XJ, provided I can find one in my price range, which would probably mean a 2003 ( which was before substantial revisions for 2004).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads