• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends if you ever want to shift the frames in the future; do you have any of the warranty/authenticity cards? Having sold two pairs in the past, buyers get quite funny about bits missing/condition.
I thought about that only after I threw away packaging for my first pair; I’ve kept it since then. It makes sense but every time I look at them I think it silly. I’d put them out of sight in my basement...if I had one.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about that only after I threw away packaging for my first pair; I’ve kept it since then. It makes sense but every time I look at them I think it silly. I’d put them out of sight in my basement...if I had one.

Like you, I hate keeping "junk" such as boxes and tags. I guess if it is exceptionally nice I may hold on to it but chances are if I need it, I can't find it anyway. I love throwing stuff away (and possibly regretting it later).

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Completely agree. I am working with a cardboard box with them all in at the moment as a storage strategy! :D

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it would appear my Jax have a bit of loose hardware - if I hold the glasses at the bridge or above and below either lens and shake them a little (something only a neurotic like me would do), I sense a wobble at the hinges. The connecting point of the hinge with the temple doesn't appear loose, so I'm assuming it is a component inside the temple.

I'll ask my du about it when I go in to pick up a new pair this weekend. In the interim, lockdown and isolation is doing nothing to mitigate my anxiety concerning.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I keep all the boxes, cards etc you just never know. I know it helped me get 20% more than I paid for my Enzos when I sold them

I can still remember the guy telling me “Merry Christmas” on eBay and just smashing dat BIN button

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s your rationale behind buying multiple pairs of sunnies? Same as clothes? Just buy cool things because they’re cool and work in different situations?
Or is it a collector mentaility?

-this is addressed to the thread, not anyone particular.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What’s your rationale behind buying multiple pairs of sunnies? Same as clothes? Just buy cool things because they’re cool and work in different situations?

This is how I deal with stress and insecurity. Also without jawnz I have no personality.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Collector mentally for me definitely. I have 6 pairs of JMM, have bought 10 in total. I do have them because I genuinely want to wear them, but there are some pairs I would love to have but probably couldn't carry them off, e.g. El Dorado, Astaire etc.

If money was no object I would have a lot more of them, but I try and be savvy where I can. Being in the UK means I have to look quite hard to find a good deal, but I haven't paid retail for any of the pairs I have either bought or currently own.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s wild, I can’t even seem to find anywhere that has a “10% off your first order” kind of promo. I bought both mine off the JMM webstore at retail.
it looks like Sydney has a few stockists though so I’m hoping in a few months I’ll be able to see them in person and try before I buy going forward.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how I deal with stress and insecurity. Also without jawnz I have no personality.

It me.

That’s wild, I can’t even seem to find anywhere that has a “10% off your first order” kind of promo. I bought both mine off the JMM webstore at retail.
it looks like Sydney has a few stockists though so I’m hoping in a few months I’ll be able to see them in person and try before I buy going forward.

Pro-tip: vision insurance.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have vision insurance but have never needed it. How does that work? Even for sunglasses if you don’t need prescriptions?
I tried to look at my provider info but all the stuff listed was for Walmart level frames

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have vision insurance but have never needed it. How does that work? Even for sunglasses if you don’t need prescriptions?
I tried to look at my provider info but all the stuff listed was for Walmart level frames

You need to have prescription lenses installed for it to apply, but then you get an annual allowance (dollar amount covered), plus percentage discount for the cost beyond what is covered. The coverage isn't that deep, but for reference, a pair of JMMs with pretty solid lenses (anti-reflective, zero-smudge coating) was $420, whereas the MSRP with the lenses was $825. For second pairs you still get a discount, just not as deep (and it appears I may need to haggle a little to get my du to recognize this).

As an aside, apart from frames there does appear to be variance in the quality of the lenses different optical shops have access to. The Crizals I have are pretty dope.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily true that you need to have anything installed. Check your insurance, they have separate allowances and coverage levels for lenses and/or frames.

You then have to submit a claim to the insurance for out of pocket reimbursement. For my insurance, I get $125 back on a frame every year, and then a sliding scale for lenses. They are separate.

I have submitted claims before from buying frames online, without needing anything extra.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads