• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
That’s the end of the brand for me. Will be selling off things I don’t want and moving on to something else.

Let’s build a list of “alternatives to JMM”

Attachments

• 62395D47-707A-4DEE-99BF-3CD70107C7DE.jpeg
    62395D47-707A-4DEE-99BF-3CD70107C7DE.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

lsterling

Reaction score
That’s the end of the brand for me. Will be selling off things I don’t want and moving on to something else.

I hate that I feel like I want to keep most of my frames, even those I don't wear often. I still bought them because I ultimately loved the styles and it scratched an itch no other brand did. I feel like I'm going to have to dig deep to find another brand that excites me as much.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I hate that I feel like I want to keep most of my frames, even those I don't wear often. I still bought them because I ultimately loved the styles and it scratched an itch no other brand did. I feel like I'm going to have to dig deep to find another brand that excites me as much.
Yeah, they are cool glasses but in the end of the day they are just glasses - and very expensive ones at that. I supported their right to increase prices. I thought the whole temple corrosion issue was way overblown.

But I can’t support a company using slimy tactics to restrict the ability of their customers to: a) communicate potential quality issues and b) resell products which you can’t even buy anymore. This move instantly makes all of my glasses feel cheaper to me.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why would you keep things you don't want regardless of how you feel about the brand.

obecity

Reaction score
JMM's involvement with the Facebook takedowns is, unsurprisingly, confirmed.
I know I said I left this forum, but I’ve been coyly watching from the sidelines. I’ll say this right now: FLIP YOU JACQUES MARIE MAGE. You’re a no good greedy mudder fudder. Frick you! Frick you to heck! I’m done with the brand permanently. I’ll keep what I have, but no more. No more no way no how. Fug them! I’m sick of this dawg dang flim flam! He has infringed upon my rights to sell my own possessions! HE DOES NOT CONTROL WHAT I OWN!

I hereby advocate that this forum be shut down and deleted in its entirety. We should all abandoned this forum. If it persists, new users must be informed of this injustice!

Fug this crap! FLIP YOU JACK!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some very chunky Cutler and Gross that just didn’t work for me and will go on eBay soon but if anyone’s interested let me know. I can post pics later. Brown tort with blue flash lenses.

As for the Facebook outrage - I don’t really understand it as I’m not on Facebook so I couldn’t care less one way or another. The bottom line is - you bought the glasses cos you liked them and thought they were worth the price - or at least partially convinced yourself that they were. Just cos JMM act the fool doesn’t change that, and abandoning the brand has a whiff of those people who destroyed their Milli Vanilli records when it was revealed *Shock! Horror!* that the two lads didn’t really sing on the recordings. You liked the songs enough to buy the records - who cares who sang what and what went on behind the scenes in the studio?

I’ve done some JMM horse trading via this thread plus on eBay and Grailed. It’s not as if the resale market is completely shut down.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
Someone on this forum needs to orchestrate a protest against that filthy scum bum. Who volunteers? Someone among us needs to come forward to take the banner into battle against his power grab. This is a serious issue! Someone! PLEASE!

obecity

Reaction score
And fug that no goodnik Zuckerberg! He’s more evil than Jack and is responsible for so much that is wrong in these here United States of America!

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Why would you keep things you don't want regardless of how you feel about the brand.
My justification there wasn’t clear. I have a number of jmm glasses that I’ve been meaning to sell but have been too lazy to really get rid of. Those are the ones I will sell.

I’ll keep the ones I am happy with (at this point I’ve already supported them so not much reason not to keep them)

I’ll stop buying anything in the future. I already cancelled a preorder I had.

obecity

Reaction score
Please! Someone go to that other Facebook JMM fan page and tell those blind fanbois of what there beloved Jack (JERK) did! Wonder what their admin thinks of it! Probably loves the idea.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Someone on this forum needs to orchestrate a protest against that filthy scum bum. Who volunteers? Someone among us needs to come forward to take the banner into battle against his power grab. This is a serious issue! Someone! PLEASE!
chill out man. In the end they are just glasses. Vote with your wallet and be done with it.

obecity

Reaction score
My justification there wasn’t clear. I have a number of jmm glasses that I’ve been meaning to sell but have been too lazy to really get rid of. Those are the ones I will sell.

I’ll keep the ones I am happy with (at this point I’ve already supported them so not much reason not to keep them)

I’ll stop buying anything in the future. I already cancelled a preorder I had.
Good for canceling! I was ready to purchase two. Not now. Flip that mudder fudder.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please! Someone go to that other Facebook JMM fan page and tell those blind fanbois of what there beloved Jack (JERK) did! Wonder what their admin thinks of it! Probably loves the idea.
Seriously man get a grip. This is pathetic. You want a protest do it yourself but you’re coming off as a complete fanny here.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I have some very chunky Cutler and Gross that just didn’t work for me and will go on eBay soon but if anyone’s interested let me know. I can post pics later. Brown tort with blue flash lenses.

As for the Facebook outrage - I don’t really understand it as I’m not on Facebook so I couldn’t care less one way or another. The bottom line is - you bought the glasses cos you liked them and thought they were worth the price - or at least partially convinced yourself that they were. Just cos JMM act the fool doesn’t change that, and abandoning the brand has a whiff of those people who destroyed their Milli Vanilli records when it was revealed *Shock! Horror!* that the two lads didn’t really sing on the recordings. You liked the songs enough to buy the records - who cares who sang what and what went on behind the scenes in the studio?

I’ve done some JMM horse trading via this thread plus on eBay and Grailed. It’s not as if the resale market is completely shut down.
Kind of disagree with some of your thinking here. A glasses brand is not just the acetate you put on your face. Sure, that’s a part of it, but their values are also factored into the value of a brand.

This is a values argument - punishing loyal customers by restricting reselling to control a secondary market doesn’t seem right. Having the group removed on a bogus “copyright infringement” claim doesn’t seem fair.

I’m not about to pretend this issue deserves wartime attention - they are just glasses. But this definitely isn’t an issue that doesn’t decrease the value of a brand (to many).

Badger716

Reaction score
My two cents on the brand and recent drama, fwiw:

They’ve grown too big too fast. Seems like something is coming out every week that isn’t exciting.

I’ve talked with a few opticians and their view on the brand is starting to sour; the company is at times a pain to work with. Trunk show orders that get cancelled months later is in no way acceptable. Not to mention prices that are starting to become unobtainium imo.

There’s still a lot to like though. Quality acetate and these things hold their value really well. Some frames look downright magical on some folks. There is still an allure to these frames (irrespective of what you think of the brand) that will keep people interested.

The Facebook group closing sucks, and I hope the Streisand effect will come thru. I’m keeping an open mind on what JMM plans to do with their rumored reselling service but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Personally I’d stick with the JMM bestsellers (Molino Dealan Yves Enzo Fellini Torino Plaza Zephirin etc) and not look too much further, but there are ofc exceptions to this rule if the look and fit is impeccable.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix