• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew x Alden Indy Boots

JPinoy

Reaction score
Yeah, wrinklefree, I should delete my entry :) I'll only wear them with jeans.

I just have seen some crazy shoes worn with the Ludlow suit in the JCrew catalog. Like sneakers and stuff...

Gary-A

Reaction score
Hey all, long-time reader first-time poster etc..

This seemed as good a place as any to field my question, as I can't find an answer in the copious forum threads related to the boot.

I went to The Tannery a while back after a good long day of walking and equipped with some thick wool socks, to try on a pair of 505's.

Long story short the boots fit awesome in the suggested half-size-down (7.5D for me) but looking at how I laced them I noticed the eyelets were really far apart. iPhone pics incoming...

Boots are tagged 7.5 B/D which I assume is normal width. The picture below is about how tight I like my boots before they get too binding around the ankle. Ankle's gotta bend ya know!

I can't imagine the leather stretches THAT much in the break-in process. I don't consider my feet to be abnormally thick, but the eyelets are not nearly as close together as, say, JPinoy's post above. Wearing 'normal' socks in a normal shoe size and it looks like my amazingly manly ankles are ready to bust out of these boots.

Has anyone encountered this before? I don't feel the solution is to size up (maybe in width? but definitely not length). My only disclaimer is I did not ask to try on another width or size, in part because my parking meter was almost out of time and in part that The Tannery staff look as if they're ready to string you up if you waste their time and don't end up buying a $500 pair of shoes.

semi-related: I'm itching to order a pair of Ultimate's next time they're available, and I'm not sure if they stock much in the way of non-standard widths......

Any help or ideas is much appreciated!

Thanks a bunch folks,

-G

Intl Jason

Reaction score
Hi,

I am curious about this sizing down. I am currently in Berlin and have a very short window to order a pair of the JCrew Alden and have my brother bring next week from the US (for 6 months so I cannot just ask him to return them). I normally wear a size 12 and I am hesitant to get a different size than normal. Any insights or experiences will be greatly appreciated as I must order by wednesday.

Thanks,
Jason

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going down 1/2 size is fine. If a 12D normally fits well, an 11.5D Indy will work.

Kwaker

Reaction score

Long story short the boots fit awesome in the suggested half-size-down (7.5D for me) but looking at how I laced them I noticed the eyelets were really far apart. iPhone pics incoming...

I wear the 8D and the speed hooks are almost on top of each other ... I can only attribute this to my ankles being smaller than normal for the foot size in the Indy last ... i.e., your mankles are clearly the culprit.
If you are considering sizing up, get measurements of the boot opening to see if that would really solve your problem.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score

This seemed as good a place as any to field my question, as I can't find an answer in the copious forum threads related to the boot.

I went to The Tannery a while back after a good long day of walking and equipped with some thick wool socks, to try on a pair of 505's.

Boots are tagged 7.5 B/D which I assume is normal width. The picture below is about how tight I like my boots before they get too binding around the ankle. Ankle's gotta bend ya know!

I cjLan't imagine the leather stretches THAT much in the break-in process. I don't consider my feet to be abnormally thick, but the eyelets are not nearly as close together as, say, JPinoy's post above. Wearing 'normal' socks in a normal shoe size and it looks like my amazingly manly ankles are ready to bust out of these boots.

Has anyone encountered this before? I don't feel the solution is to size up (maybe in width? but definitely not length). My only disclaimer is I did not ask to try on another width or size, in part because my parking meter was almost out of time and in part that The Tannery staff look as if they're ready to string you up if you waste their time and don't end up buying a $500 pair of shoes.

semi-related: I'm itching to order a pair of Ultimate's next time they're available, and I'm not sure if they stock much in the way of non-standard widths......

Thanks a bunch folks,

-G
You have problems, man. Indy boots aren't going to work for you if that is how you must wear them.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't imagine the leather stretches THAT much in the break-in process. I don't consider my feet to be abnormally thick, but the eyelets are not nearly as close together as, say, JPinoy's post above. Wearing 'normal' socks in a normal shoe size and it looks like my amazingly manly ankles are ready to bust out of these boots.

Thanks a bunch folks,

-G

I don't really have much to add except that pic looks all kinds of messed up.
Do you have cankles?
All else I can think of is you are afraid to lace your boots tightly...

Last edited:

dieselab

Reaction score

Thanks a bunch folks,

-G
Sounds like this is happening more frequently. I recently picked up some and the eyelets are just as far off. My other alden indy fits fine with no eyelet issue, so I know its not my ankles. Contact the place you purchase them at and ask for a replacement pair. Good luck.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks a bunch folks,

-G

I have a high instep, and my cordovan boots lace a lot tighter than that up top. Either the construction of that particular boot may be off or alden high boots may not work as well with your ankles

ExhibitA

Reaction score

Alden 403s after about 4 months of heavy wear. I applied a neutral polish and a quick buff and I'm surprised at how much these are holding together.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
J. Crew still does the heel stitching. I prefer the original. I purchased mine from Alden SF store, though I believe they shipped to me from Mass.

I was just about to rave how these shoes held up after a solid two weeks of hardcore construction work. They were smothered in dirt and soot and I got several scratches on the toe and heel. I gave them a thorough cleaning and applied a neutral polish on them and they restore back to a pristine look. Amazing boot...getting some noticeable heal wear, but I'd say another 2 years before getting them refurbished.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Okay so I had to comment,

Is there a way to turn the regular Alden Indy CXLs into this color? I like the shiny look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads