• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew x Alden Indy Boots

King Leer

Reaction score
J Crew out of these in most sizes (Still have a 12 and 11.5) and have to wait about a month to get them back in stock...the SA on the phone at the Broadway store here in NYC knew nothing about them, while an SA at the Liquor store said he knew they put in a large order for about 10 in each size and that they think it could take a month for them to receive them, but nothing was known for sure. I guess I'll have to wait!

Bruce-YVR

Reaction score
Hi guys...I just love my Alden shoes. Its very comfortable and the color is fabulous. However, I do have a problem and I hope you guys can help me out with this issue.

From the pic, you can see that the left foot "tongue" is not centered. It "slipped" to the right side of the boot after a few minutes of walking. Right foot is perfect. It can be bothersome and the "slipped" to one side tongue makes it uncomfortable at times.

Its the first time that I encountered with issue like this.

Can you give me some pointers as to how I can "fix" this issue?

I did contact Alden and they mentioned that I can return the shoes to the factory and they will "TACK" the tongues in place. However, I am not sure how this would work.

I am wondering any Alden owners out here got similar issues. Apparently this happens from time to time.

Thanks gents!!

Bruce

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce-YVR
Hi guys...I just love my Alden shoes. Its very comfortable and the color is fabulous. However, I do have a problem and I hope you guys can help me out with this issue.

From the pic, you can see that the left foot "tongue" is not centered. It "slipped" to the right side of the boot after a few minutes of walking. Right foot is perfect. It can be bothersome and the "slipped" to one side tongue makes it uncomfortable at times.

I did contact Alden and they mentioned that I can return the shoes to the factory and they will "TACK" the tongues in place. However, I am not sure how this would work.

I am wondering any Alden owners out here got similar issues. Apparently this happens from time to time.

Thanks gents!!

Bruce

Send them to Alden. They will fix them.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Thanks gents!!

Bruce

I haven't had this happen to my Aldens, but I've had the same problem with other boots (including my favorite pair of Doc Martens). The 'tacking' fix they describe is to stitch the tongue to the lining of the boot, and any decent shoe repair shop should be able to handle it, if you don't want the headache and expense of returning them to Alden.

Bruce-YVR

Reaction score
I just dont want to part with my Alden for so long :)

Bruce

King Leer

Reaction score
These are coming back into stock at J Crew, FYI. I just received my pair in the mail!

racknac

Reaction score

Thanks gents!!

Bruce

I have the same issue with mine.

false

Reaction score
I have this problem too (both tongues rotate all the way to the outside) and I gather most people do. Sending them back in is nuts, just take them to a cobbler, should take 2 minutes. Hell, could probably do it yourself.

Bruce-YVR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
I have this problem too (both tongues rotate all the way to the outside) and I gather most people do. Sending them back in is nuts, just take them to a cobbler, should take 2 minutes. Hell, could probably do it yourself.
Thanks very much... can you take a pic and show me the "repair" method?? Thanks!! Bruce

poena

Reaction score
how do i get a student discount? whether buying online or in person?
i've never even knew about this!

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poena
how do i get a student discount? whether buying online or in person?
i've never even knew about this!

Just show your ID in person, online, you'd have to provide them with a .edu email address I believe, and you'd have to call the order in to reqeust it.

It doesn't work on designer collabs like Alden, Ray Ban etc.

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
is there any difference between the j crew indy and the brown chrome excel indy?

is the color the same?

also, the pic on jcrew.com shows a scuff on the heel....are they supposed to have a slight pre-distressed look to them? because i don't see any pre-distressing on any of the pairs posted in the thread

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a pair of near new J. Crew Indy's in size 10D up for sale or, even better, trade.

Love the boots, but they don’t fit me properly so I’m selling to purchase my correct size. Worn for one day (about 6 hours) and then boxed up. 100% life remaining. I’ll also trade for either the same boot (or the similar 403) in 9.5D.

Includes original box and shoe bags. Feel free to PM me for pics or check B&S.

videocrew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crump's Brother
is there any difference between the j crew indy and the brown chrome excel indy?
The heel pad on the inside says J. Crew
is the color the same?
yes
also, the pic on jcrew.com shows a scuff on the heel....are they supposed to have a slight pre-distressed look to them? because i don't see any pre-distressing on any of the pairs posted in the threadMine were not pre-distressed at all. I have since beat the hell out of them, shined them back up with some neatsfoot oil, and they look great.

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Has Jcrew changed the stitching on the boots or is it just the pictures? The ones below look like the stitching is colored:

Originally Posted by videocrew
IMG_0195.JPG

But these definitely have white stitching:

Originally Posted by enigma77

IMG_0330.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads