• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

acarlton

Reaction score
What's the deal with the neck and sleeve button down dress shirts? Has anyone tried these out? I normally like the fit of a M in their button downs, and am looking for some more slim-ish dress shirts to wear to work. Should I go with the regular or slim fit? Is the regular fit a similar fit to their standard button downs?

Also, what's the quality on these shirts like? Should I just go w/ CT or BB in this price range?

For reference, I'm a 16x35 shirt and wear a 33 pant and 40 jacket.

fueledbynewjersey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acarlton
What's the deal with the neck and sleeve button down dress shirts? Has anyone tried these out? I normally like the fit of a M in their button downs, and am looking for some more slim-ish dress shirts to wear to work. Should I go with the regular or slim fit? Is the regular fit a similar fit to their standard button downs?

Also, what's the quality on these shirts like? Should I just go w/ CT or BB in this price range?

For reference, I'm a 16x35 shirt and wear a 33 pant and 40 jacket.

Actually they are pretty awesome. The fabric is on the thin side but they fit much better then their regular shirts. I usually wear smalls but the sleeve is a couple inches short on me. I bought a spread collar in 15/33 and it fits me PERFECTLY in the arms and torso

acarlton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fueledbynewjersey
Actually they are pretty awesome. The fabric is on the thin side but they fit much better then their regular shirts. I usually wear smalls but the sleeve is a couple inches short on me. I bought a spread collar in 15/33 and it fits me PERFECTLY in the arms and torso

In the regular fit, or slim fit?

acarlton

Reaction score
FYI: Barbara: The James Tattersall shirt has a 47.75 inch chest circumference (regular fit dress shirt). The Thompkins Tattersall shirt has a 45 inch chest circumference (Secret Wash). Andrew: ahh Andrew: thanks Andrew: how about the chest circumference for 41427 in 16/35 Barbara: Our Slim Point-collar End-on-end Regular-fit Dress Shirt, size 16/35, has a chest circumference of 46.25 inches (slim-fit dress shirt).

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything I really like this season. There are a few items such as pants but to pay $98 for J Crew pants is silly IMHO. I will wait until they are marked down. Also, their ties are bad...

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Baird McNutt linen shirt in size small. Love the shirt, but the fit's not great, still a bit big through the torso - when it's tucked in, feels like I've got 1.5 inches on both sides and through the back.

Any idea whether putting this through the wash would be worthwhile? I can live with the shirt as-is, but a slimmer fit would be preferable. Hard to figure out the risk/reward of putting it through the wash because it's 100% linen.

david123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by msg
I recently bought a Baird McNutt linen shirt in size small. Love the shirt, but the fit's not great, still a bit big through the torso - when it's tucked in, feels like I've got 1.5 inches on both sides and through the back.

Any idea whether putting this through the wash would be worthwhile? I can live with the shirt as-is, but a slimmer fit would be preferable. Hard to figure out the risk/reward of putting it through the wash because it's 100% linen.

I bought 3 of them. They are pretty nice. The M was huge and the small is a tad tight for me in the chest but like you say, not that slim in the body. I don't tuck mine in so it fits me fine, but if I were you, I'd have a tailor take in the sides and then wash cold and hang dry. Too risky to dry it, assuming that's what you meant. I left mine in the dryer for 10 minutes just to shake out wrinkles after the wash and I wouldn't even do that again.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you say his name three times while inside of a J.Crew fitting room he'll burst through the door like the Kool-Aid man wearing nothing but a pair of MacAlisters.

kit99bar

Reaction score
if you turn off the lights in a jcrew and say his name 6 times backwards to a fitting room mirror -> well it's supposed to be an urban legend

unrated

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the cotton-twill urban slim fit bowery pants? Is it more slim fitting than the chino?

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone else seen these in person? a bit more expensive ($80?) than the regular shirts but amazing quality. Button-down shirt in Tybee madras
images%5Feiec%5F43%5F43899%5F43899%5FWO8540%5Ftif%5Fab240bba677418db.jpg
Indigo gingham oxford shirt
images%5Feiec%5F43%5F43710%5F43710%5FWO7844%5Ftif%5F2d470a7a63c8179b.jpg

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unrated
Can anyone comment on the cotton-twill urban slim fit bowery pants? Is it more slim fitting than the chino?

Not sure if this helps or not, but I've found the Urban-slim Bowery pants to fit slimmer than the Urban-slim broken-in chinos across the board. I have a couple different colors of each and have found this to be the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads