• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
I have no issue with a ruffle here and a ruffle there, but I was surprised how much of it there was in the catalog. It seems they are really gambling that women will really dig the ruffly stuff. Just out of curiosity I took a peek at women's reaction at jcrewafficionada.com. There were several positive comments about the look (they think it's romantic or whatever) but alot of question marks as well. Here are some of their comments:

"Question, though: How would one launder this? Would it have to be dry-cleaned and then somehow refluff the ruffles?"

"I love the look. I got my frances yesterday and the ruffles were completely flat. any ideas on how to get them 'ruffled' again?"

"I love the look but I don't think they will work for me in real life. I had two Victorias last year and I ended up selling them. The look is feminine and romantic, and styled oh-so-well in the catalog but in real life it looks better suited for the House of Lords than as an outfit component."

"I love the look on everyone else - the models and other JCA's - but it just doesn't personally work for me."

"What I want to know is why when I wear these lovely silky camis, it looks like I have some kind of glandular problem...no amount of deodorant or powder prevents unslightly underarm marks...why can't they make these in cotton? Or woven silk? Wispy, delicate model - I am not!!"

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a women's discussion. I was just curious if anyone else had a "WTF" moment when you perused the catalog? I guess I'm concerned J Crew will do something similiar to menswear. And to that I say keep that ruffly **** and any other funky, non-practical clothing away from me - you foofy designer weirdos!

JCrewCamis.JPG

mmm

Reaction score
I thought the womens stuff looked pretty great in the catalog this time around. But why would you be concerned about ruffles showing up in the mens stuff? If it somehow did, just dont buy it.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmm
I thought the womens stuff looked pretty great in the catalog this time around. But why would you be concerned about ruffles showing up in the mens stuff? If it somehow did, just dont buy it.

I don't think they'll put ruffles in the mens, I just don't want some hot-to-trot designer mucking up the menswear. If you're a woman and you don't like ruffles then pretty much You'll have to shop somewhere else this fall. Not so bad for them because they have tons of options, but us men are more limited. I would have to either shop high end (can only afford so much) or low end douchewear. I like things the way they are now, I get my core classic items from J Crew and add a few high end items along with a few low end mall brand pieces here & there.

If J Crew goes downhill that means it's back to Banana Republic, The Gap, Macy's.....oh Lord. Well at least Nordstoms will always have Tommy Bahama and golfwear on sale.
frown.gif

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
I don't think they'll put ruffles in the mens, I just don't want some hot-to-trot designer mucking up the menswear.

I for one would love to see some ruffles in menswear- Lanvin for the male masses
bounce2.gif

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
That ruffle stuff is kinda icky for the most part... But a bunch of the chicks I know seem to like it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jpreme87

Reaction score
Chukka Sperrys are still a must buy!

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youalreadyknow
Does anyone have experience with their oxfords? I'm in the market for a pair (and i'm a student) so for the price they're pretty attractive.

http://images.jcrew.com/erez4/erez?s...if&tmp=prdDtIm

Owned a pair. It runs rather narrow. I would rather throw my money at JM or an actual shoe brand (unless on sale!). I won't lie - their shoes do look great.

I'm sure people have mentioned this already. I just got a pair of the urban fit chinos - perfect! Everyone should check em out.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
there's one in ontario mills now if you're in the LA area which is closer

Opens 8/1. 20% off on purchases of $125 or more from 8/1 to 8/16 with e-mailed coupon.

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So the American Army-Navy web site shows plain green fatigue jackets for $60. There's at least one of their stores in my area, so I think I've gotta check out this option before I pull the trigger on the J. Crew, whish is, what, like $120 more!? Is the J. Crew jacket really all that much better or just overpriced?

v3l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacques Cousteau
Picked up a pair of good condition Allen-Edmonds for $65 on ebay. I'd recommend that.
Noice! Who'd you buy them from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads