• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

gtenney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid
any MORE info? I want a wool jacket, but dont like peacoats (or at least, I've not seen a good one, fit & quality), so the university coat is a choice for me now.

I still think the University coat is a really nice coat. It was just longer than I expected. It felt like it was good quality and warm (w/thinsulate). I would recommend sizing down for it though. I wear a Large in almost everything from J Crew and the Large University Coat was too big.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My new wool jacket. Runs about the same length as a j. crew university coat or pea coat. Buttons are nice.

002-9.jpg

001-10.jpg

Any thoughts?

synovoid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gtenney
I still think the University coat is a really nice coat. It was just longer than I expected. It felt like it was good quality and warm (w/thinsulate). I would recommend sizing down for it though. I wear a Large in almost everything from J Crew and the Large University Coat was too big.

thanks! I just went to j crew, and put on a size small. man, it's way too rommier. also It's about 2 inches longer than their pea coat. probably will order a size xsmall to give it a try.

any slim cut university coat or pea coat from other brands? any recommendation?

bwsbbc

Reaction score
I walked into J. Crew today, bought the Camp socks for 3 dollars. Also got a workshirt for 30. Tried on the urban slim fit pant, and they were not skinny at all. They fit nicely, but not like Cheap mondays. I also have a question, what is J. Crews slimmest shirt style.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Slimmest is probably the secret wash but it's not really slim. If you're looking for very slim shirts, you shouldn't be looking in j. crew.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wow. I was out around town about a total of 3 hours today in the above coat and received more complements on this than on anything I've ever worn.

bossman08

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered, but how do the MacAlister boots compare to Clarks in size? Exactly the same? Size up/size down one?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apparently today Sears & Roebuck 1964 trumps J. Crew 2009!!! & for half the price of a pair of cords. I've said this before but it seems to me like quality was ubiquitous in the 1960s and prior. From my vintage shopping it's apparent that even mall brands like JC Penney and Sears were doing quality stuff back then that often beats the crap out of stuff these stores are doing now.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
btw I notice Gap has cords for under $50. I might have to defect and just go there for my cords this season.

or I could just try to make my 3 old pairs of 559s work & just rock them as a relaxed fit

e23

Reaction score
Anyone own the Solid tweed sportcoat? Someone mentioned buying it but never gave an opinion on the fit and how it is.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifted
i emailed them and they said as of now they wont be restocking
frown.gif

What a bunch of losers.

Originally Posted by synovoid
thanks! I just went to j crew, and put on a size small. man, it's way too rommier. also It's about 2 inches longer than their pea coat. probably will order a size xsmall to give it a try.

any slim cut university coat or pea coat from other brands? any recommendation?

Yeah, I tried on that university coat and it was longer than their pea coat. Didn't like.

revamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by e23
Anyone own the Solid tweed sportcoat? Someone mentioned buying it but never gave an opinion on the fit and how it is.

I really like it. If they had it left in a 38S, I'd buy it in a sec. The 38R is a bit too long for me though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nancy43213