• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's all relative, wear what you want.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I mean, it's just clothes and it's all a matter of personal taste. YOU need to like what you wear, not anyone else. There are no absolutes and the rules are for a bygone era.

Sometimes I think we lose sight of these important truths.

I'm glad we had this chat.

Galix

Reaction score
Moral can be relative. I tend to think that project themselves with their choice of clothing and that classical clothing (which does not mean old) can be seen as an statement of some social values we should not loose. Though they seem nowadays also from a bygone era ;)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we just being tricked into having a serious discussion about the value of following rules and dressing in a way that is grounded in an awareness of tradition?

How do we make that one last forty pages of fuzzy thinking and misused buzzwords? I volunteer to get weirdly offended and touchy about my income level!

emptym

Reaction score
Wouldn't a real relativist not be able to criticize someone who thought there were rules?

Last edited:

kcox68

Reaction score
I know this is a dirty word in today's lexicon but I do think there's a place for moderation in style as much as anyplace else. Yes, there are rules to follow for good style but there's also a place for individual expression. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive and just as no one person can dress in any fashion he chooses and rightly call it style, no one can lay down absolute laws about what to wear and expect that to be the end of discussion. There must be a meeting someplace in the middle where one can identify within the group yet retain enough difference to call oneself an individual. Maybe this amounts to something as simple as wearing loud socks with conservative dress or as intricate as having one's suits cut in a fashion forward manner while retaining the elegance of classic style. This doesn't mean one can wear a bright green suit with a pink shirt and rainbow tie and call it stylish but there are definitely nuances to good style that allow for individual expression.

It would be a boring world without those people with the ability to break the rules a bit and help us all evolve our own sense of style.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is a dirty word in today's lexicon but I do think there's a place for moderation in style as much as anyplace else. Yes, there are rules to follow for good style but there's also a place for individual expression. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive and just as no one person can dress in any fashion he chooses and rightly call it style, no one can lay down absolute laws about what to wear and expect that to be the end of discussion. There must be a meeting someplace in the middle where one can identify within the group yet retain enough difference to call oneself an individual. Maybe this amounts to something as simple as wearing loud socks with conservative dress or as intricate as having one's suits cut in a fashion forward manner while retaining the elegance of classic style. This doesn't mean one can wear a bright green suit with a pink shirt and rainbow tie and call it stylish but there are definitely nuances to good style that allow for individual expression.

It would be a boring world without those people with the ability to break the rules a bit and help us all evolve our own sense of style.
You want more moderation than that.

Some thoughts:

Why have "interesting" clothes? I address my deep-seated anxieties about being a boring person by being loud at parties and telling jokes during class. Interesting clothes, for this statement, are not things like a navy hopsack blazer (which is fascinating in its way), but stuff that you don't know how to wear -- the "running before you can walk" items.

I'd rather eat simple food cooked well than something complicated cooked badly, regardless of the quality of the ingredients.

Merely being well-dressed is pretty distinctive. Being well-dressed in a style that's more formal than those around you (heaven knows I'm in that boat, and I reckon more than a few on here are as well) is incredibly distinctive. The individual clothes don't need to call attention to themselves.

Most days, I'd rather wear a pocketsquare than be try to be impeccably dressed without one. That's idiotic, irrational, and it contradicts what I've written, but I've accepted it.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, it's just clothes and it's all a matter of personal taste. YOU need to like what you wear, not anyone else. There are no absolutes and the rules are for a bygone era.

Sometimes I think we lose sight of these important truths.

I'm glad we had this chat.

That is a very late arrival. Consider how many young iGent has been intoxicated .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads