It's all relative, wear what you want.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I mean, it's just clothes and it's all a matter of personal taste. YOU need to like what you wear, not anyone else. There are no absolutes and the rules are for a bygone era.

Sometimes I think we lose sight of these important truths.

I'm glad we had this chat.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Can we close the forum now that it has been settled? End of history, clothing style. Nothing to see, move along.

4. Galix

Galix Senior member

Moral can be relative. I tend to think that project themselves with their choice of clothing and that classical clothing (which does not mean old) can be seen as an statement of some social values we should not loose. Though they seem nowadays also from a bygone era ;)

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

gaaah, I can't move this to Dumb Threads!@!

6. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Who is the hippie that hacked Manton's account?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Are we just being tricked into having a serious discussion about the value of following rules and dressing in a way that is grounded in an awareness of tradition?

How do we make that one last forty pages of fuzzy thinking and misused buzzwords? I volunteer to get weirdly offended and touchy about my income level!

8. chogall

chogall Senior member

Over compensating could be an interesting thing.

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Wouldn't a real relativist not be able to criticize someone who thought there were rules?

10. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

I'm confused, you literally wrote the book on rules.

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

He's achieved enlightenment.

12. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

I know this is a dirty word in today's lexicon but I do think there's a place for moderation in style as much as anyplace else. Yes, there are rules to follow for good style but there's also a place for individual expression. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive and just as no one person can dress in any fashion he chooses and rightly call it style, no one can lay down absolute laws about what to wear and expect that to be the end of discussion. There must be a meeting someplace in the middle where one can identify within the group yet retain enough difference to call oneself an individual. Maybe this amounts to something as simple as wearing loud socks with conservative dress or as intricate as having one's suits cut in a fashion forward manner while retaining the elegance of classic style. This doesn't mean one can wear a bright green suit with a pink shirt and rainbow tie and call it stylish but there are definitely nuances to good style that allow for individual expression.

It would be a boring world without those people with the ability to break the rules a bit and help us all evolve our own sense of style.

13. JackAndy

JackAndy Member

I tried to wear my diaper on the subway but I keep getting comments.

14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

You want more moderation than that.

Some thoughts:

Why have "interesting" clothes? I address my deep-seated anxieties about being a boring person by being loud at parties and telling jokes during class. Interesting clothes, for this statement, are not things like a navy hopsack blazer (which is fascinating in its way), but stuff that you don't know how to wear -- the "running before you can walk" items.

I'd rather eat simple food cooked well than something complicated cooked badly, regardless of the quality of the ingredients.

Merely being well-dressed is pretty distinctive. Being well-dressed in a style that's more formal than those around you (heaven knows I'm in that boat, and I reckon more than a few on here are as well) is incredibly distinctive. The individual clothes don't need to call attention to themselves.

Most days, I'd rather wear a pocketsquare than be try to be impeccably dressed without one. That's idiotic, irrational, and it contradicts what I've written, but I've accepted it.

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

That is a very late arrival. Consider how many young iGent has been intoxicated .