• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Items You Only Buy Once

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Tools.

yeah: about that. Wait until you get married and have a son. Then come back to me and tell me you only buy tools once. Maybe once after you get a locking tool chest with only one key.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
yeah: about that. Wait until you get married and have a son. Then come back to me and tell me you only buy tools once. Maybe once after you get a locking tool chest with only one key.

Hahaha, I still "borrow" my dad's tools all the time. He doesn't really mind since he has 4 of almost everything, at least.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
laugh.gif
even though it feels inappropriate.

We had to ask the coffin salesman to leave the room. It was our first laugh in many weeks. Life goes on.

But I think the salesman thought were were the Addams family.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
We have them from tiny to very large. My professional chef (well cook) uses them.

are you renzo piano? how in god's name can you afford all the crap you have? i was under the impression that most architects made pauper's earnings.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Hahaha, I still "borrow" my dad's tools all the time. He doesn't really mind since he has 4 of almost everything, at least.

Once every few months I go into a binge/frenzy grabbing all the tools out of the house and putting them back in their proper places. I can usually find the screwdriver and tape measure near any recently-hung pictures - because she uses the screwdriver to mark the spot where the nail goes in... and then drives the nail in with the tape measure. The hammers she can never find because she left them with the paint cans that she hammered shut, and opened with the chisels.

I have a titanium hammer that I keep hidden and only use when I'm sure no one is watching or will stumble upon it. I'm sure they'd use it to re-level the paver stones on the side of the driveway, and then I'd be
frown.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a concert violin, you buy it once for a few reasons:
1. Expense-if you are a musician you earn **** for wages, a good violin is at least $30K, if you are lucky. If you are a soloist or in a "better" orchestra, you move into the $100K+ world.
2. You become very connected to your violin and really dont want to play on anything else.
3. You get used to the idosychratic ways of your violin and really cant play as well on anything else.
4. A number of violinists have a sound that is unique because of above, further making a different violin out of the question.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
are you renzo piano?
No ... although I have liked much of his work.

how in god's name can you afford all the crap you have?
Are you speaking of the cast iron skillets? They belonged to Grandmama ... so did the cash.

i was under the impression that most architects made pauper's earnings.
I don't know about that. In the early years perhaps ... but if one builds the right client base ... well ...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
quality furniture good art grand piano (Bösendorfer) harpsichord (Flemish Double-manual) pipe organ (Flentrop) or Hammond B3
wink.gif
well made carpets (of the "Oriental" variety) luggage (Hermes) an apartment at 740 Park Avenue (w/ side street entrance)

Have those
smile.gif
The place at 740 Park would be nice
bigstar[1].gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Have those
smile.gif

The place at 740 Park would be nice
bigstar[1].gif

The other's I have ... the place at 740 Park isn't mine ... it was just something I'd buy only once.

I'm not sure I'll ever have the liquid assets they require to obtain board approval. Last I heard it was over $100M ... and I keep a lot of my assets in personal & income producing real estate (not liquid).

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Tools.

When I was a poor young student, I bought some cheap tools so that I could save money by fixing something on the beat ass old car I had at the time.

I found out that cheap tools are more expensive because they break easily and require the repurchase of tools.

I have much nicer tools now. Slowly accumulated and well cared for.

bing

Reaction score
if my dad buys good **** it's going in my garage...

i have one of his jacks and a bunch of pliers... a hammer i think i bought for him and some other stuff.... no shame in it. That's wat dad's are for.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The other's I have ... the place at 740 Park isn't mine ... it was just something I'd buy only once.

I'm not sure I'll ever have the liquid assets they require to obtain board approval. Last I heard it was over $100M ... and I keep a lot of my assets in personal & income producing real estate (not liquid).

it's really cocky of you to keep changing your avatar to different celebrities you've slept with.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
When I was a poor young student, I bought some cheap tools so that I could save money by fixing something on the beat ass old car I had at the time.

I found out that cheap tools are more expensive because they break easily and require the repurchase of tools.

I have much nicer tools now. Slowly accumulated and well cared for.

Reminds me of nicer, quality clothing.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's really cocky of you to keep changing your avatar to different celebrities you've slept with.
As a recent one was Eton schoolboys ... I assure you that is not the case. At least I won't admit it. I don't particularly care for the accommodations of prison ... not even those referred to as "country club" facilities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads