• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a defect?

daxvex

Reaction score
Hello all:

I just purchased a custom made suit and when the final product came, I noticed a slight difference between the way the darts on the front end. On the left, the dart comes apart in a noticeable V, while the one on the right finishes cleanly. Something that is not apparent because the photos are taken head-on with flash is that the one of the left also puffs up ever so slightly because there is loose fabric around the top. I mentioned this to the tailor and he said that it just requires ironing, but no matter how much pressing I do, it does not go away. This is my first custom suit and the first suit I've bought since college 10 years ago so I'm by no means an expert on this. My question is:

1. Is this a defect? Should I go back to the tailor to have him fix it?
2. What is involved in fixing something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tgt465

Reaction score
This is a handmade item, not something that comes off a robot assembly line. You should expect some minor imperfections.

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
This looks like tailor's chalk to me... which should come off very easily. If I were you, I would just leave it there, and let it come off when you dry-clean the suit.

daxvex

Reaction score
This looks like tailor's chalk to me... which should come off very easily. If I were you, I would just leave it there, and let it come off when you dry-clean the suit.
Thanks for the response. I'm not talking about the white horizontal line, that's actually part of the fabric and just fine. I'm talking about the difference in the way the vertical dart ends and comes apart with some loose fabric in the first picture, but ends cleanly in the second one. Maybe I'm being to detailed, but for a custom suit, I somehow expected more.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is about pressing, you may not be pressing it well. Sometimes the left side looks different because of having the breast pocket there and not on the other side. The pocket is filling in on the chest. Of all the things about having a custom suit, this is very minor.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

He isn'l looking at the "white line" across the dart. He is looking at the dart...

More specific, he is noticing the little "puff" in the cloth around the point the dart finishes. It is more on the right front than the left front

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
He isn'l looking at the "white line" across the dart. He is looking at the dart...

Yes, I see that now. It's a very small detail of how the piece was sown, and the angles at which the fabric was placed during the construction of the dart, as well as how it may have shifted during sowing. This could be considered a defect, but it is relatively small, though corrigible through re-making the dart. Whether you ask the tailor to re-do this should depend on your relationship with them, and whether you expect better results from a remake. While this is noticeable to yourself, I doubt that I would notice this detail on anyone's suit; so whether or not you opt to have this corrected really comes down to how much it bothers you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

More specific, he is noticing the little "puff" in the cloth around the point the dart finishes. It is more on the right front than the left front

Yep...

daxvex

Reaction score
It is about pressing, you may not be pressing it well. Sometimes the left side looks different because of having the breast pocket there and not on the other side. The pocket is filling in on the chest. Of all the things about having a custom suit, this is very minor.
Ah, yes the pocket makes sense. It does seem minor in hindsight -- the tailor is pretty new and trying to build a reputation, and I am inexperienced so perhaps I let him set my expectations a bit too high. I might just leave it but just to indulge my curiosity, to fix this should I press across the top of the dart? Reading jefferyd's post on pressing, he seemed to indicate that pressing across the dart is a bad idea so I avoided that and just pressed on either side of the dart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads