Is there an equivalent of a 42l in a regular size?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Urban Warrior, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

I noticed some people on ebay etc list a suit jacket in both a regular and long size examplw 42R/40L. Is this an accurate fit? If I normally were a 42L would I wear a 44R? Any info would be great...

2. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

One tricky thing is when you have a tweener... say 32.75 from top of collar to bottom with 25" sleeve. Is that a R or an L?

TYPICALLY a regular runs 32" from top of collar to bottom of coat (30.5 from bottom) and a Long will run 33 or 34.

...so, the key thing is to see how the seller is measuring the length and compare it to one you KNOW fits you. Tags are next to worthless on sizing. (Measure a 42R Armani versus a 42R Oxxford and notice how the armani is 3" wider from shoulder seam to shoulder seam and 1.5" larger in chest).

3. Urban Warrior

Thanks for the info. Looks like I am going to have to start shopping with a tape measure now too.

4. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

FWIW I would suggest having a discussion with a really good tailor at some point. Perhaps next time you have a jacket altered instead of paying 10 bucks at the dry cleaner to have it altered take it to the best tailor around for alterations and pay the extra $50. You are paying for his opinion as much as the alteration and I think you will find that it is money very well spent and then you'll know what YOU need.

...here's bettin that if you tell us where you live the forum can suggest 2-3 guys. If you'd rather not post that here shoot me a message offline and I would bet I have a few customers near you who would know who to visit.

5. Urban Warrior

Actually, I have always had my tailoring done at the store I purchased the suit in various NM's, Barney's, the Borrelli shop off of Madison etc... However recently I have shopped some large sales without a salesman or tailor to guide me and have been looking at a much wider range of designers etc...I am in the NYC area and am always open to suggestions though.
    On a funny side note about a trusted tailor...The gentleman that I used at my local NM store for roughly 10 or so suits left rather suddenly a few months back. Last night my wife calls me in while she is watching Queer I for the straight guy and say's, "don't you know that guy?" Yup, turns out he ended up at Paul Stuart in NYC... Small World.