• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the gap between Americans and Europeans too vast?

rjc149

Reaction score
Of course it’s impossible to read tone in writing, but you’re being sarcastic about freedom, right?
It's the land of the free, baby.

Baseball is clearly based on cricket, Brazilians wouldn’t agree about the airplane, and bourbon is just whisky with a bit of corn and a new name. 🥃
This line of reason would then assert that cricket is not a British invention because stick-and-ball games have been played since ancient times. Or, than champagne is not French, because the Natufians invented the first fermented alcoholic beverage 13,000 years ago (beer).

I think it would be hard to argue that the first engine-powered fixed-wing aircraft was not invented by the Wright brothers, especially given that Alberto Santos-Dumont didn't complete his design for a fixed-wing aircraft until 1905, two years after the Wright brothers had already successfully made the first flight.

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
On the other hand, unlike their more circumspect American cousins, most Brits have no shame exposing aging, flabby flesh poolside. Wonder why that is.
Americans have always been more puritanical about exposing the body. Europeans in general seem to have less hang ups about the natural human body. Nude beaches aren't too common here, and no American man wears Speedos.

If you watch a movie on American TV, boobs will be censored or cut out in editing. People getting beaten, stabbed, shot, blown up, executed, etc. is fine.

Brummelwannabe

Reaction score
Perhaps this subconscious Puritanism also partly explains why so many of my countrymen eschew using clothing to enhance and adorn their bodies, though I suspect laziness and our "I don't give a damn what others think" individualism is most of it.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Americans have always been more puritanical about exposing the body. Europeans in general seem to have less hang ups about the natural human body. Nude beaches aren't too common here, and no American man wears Speedos.

If you watch a movie on American TV, boobs will be censored or cut out in editing. People getting beaten, stabbed, shot, blown up, executed, etc. is fine.
Taking this back to clothes, I suspect that may explain why so many on these forums ask whether a particular piece of light coloured/linen clothing is transparent and whether they need to add a lining/wear lots of undershirts etc.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Khaki, madras shirts, trench coats, and the staple of the basic bro wardrobe, the chukka boot, are all British. So is the suit. My friends consider rugby shirts and Harrington jackets to be part of my casual uniform. A lot of my own personal wardrobe is homage to British style. I don't forget that!
Chukka boots are "the staple of the basic bro wardrobe"???? In my years at prep school (1956-1959), a few of the boys wore desert boots. One guy had a pair of regular leather chukkas, Red Wings, I think, and that was about it. Fast forward about 50 years. I had married a widow with a young son (born 1984). He was active in a fraternity at the neighboring university and hosted several fraternity parties at our house. In addition, large numbers of young (and not-so-young, these days) men have passed through our house over the years. Nobody that I can recall wore chukkas. He even consulted with his cousin about my fondness for chukkas. She and her boyfriend had both worked selling men's shoes at Nordstrom. The two of them found my partiality for chukka boots to be ridiculously retro! But I am a very old man now, and perhaps they have enjoyed a major revival among younger males. I should have thought that if any footgear was "the staple of the basic bro wardrobe," it would be the sneaker. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open!

SouthernGothic

Reaction score
It's the land of the free, baby.

This line of reason would then assert that cricket is not a British invention because stick-and-ball games have been played since ancient times. Or, than champagne is not French, because the Natufians invented the first fermented alcoholic beverage 13,000 years ago (beer).

I think it would be hard to argue that the first engine-powered fixed-wing aircraft was not invented by the Wright brothers, especially given that Alberto Santos-Dumont didn't complete his design for a fixed-wing aircraft until 1905, two years after the Wright brothers had already successfully made the first flight.
Clement Ader(French), 1890. The Wright brothers are now being touted as the first "controlled" powered flight.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chukka boots are "the staple of the basic bro wardrobe"???? In my years at prep school (1956-1959), a few of the boys wore desert boots. One guy had a pair of regular leather chukkas, Red Wings, I think, and that was about it. Fast forward about 50 years. I had married a widow with a young son (born 1984). He was active in a fraternity at the neighboring university and hosted several fraternity parties at our house. In addition, large numbers of young (and not-so-young, these days) men have passed through our house over the years. Nobody that I can recall wore chukkas. He even consulted with his cousin about my fondness for chukkas. She and her boyfriend had both worked selling men's shoes at Nordstrom. The two of them found my partiality for chukka boots to be ridiculously retro! But I am a very old man now, and perhaps they have enjoyed a major revival among younger males. I should have thought that if any footgear was "the staple of the basic bro wardrobe," it would be the sneaker. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open!

I think Clarks Originals Desert Boots are a great casual choice and never really go out of style, they are just one of those iconic items that keep being rediscovered by whichever subculture is in vogue at any given time, I've got three pairs currently (some of the guys in the "mod to suedehead" thread have even more) comfortable, work with every outfit, smart casual appropriate.

I don't trust young people as arbiters of style, our daughters boyfriend only ever wears Vans (he has Tatoos) which is a very American look to me.

rjc149

Reaction score
Often, Clark’s chukka boots are the among first non-sneaker casual shoe a man buys when beginning to dress better (they were for me). They’re comfortable and practical, versatile, and inexpensive. They are very common these days with business-casual attire.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We invented breast implants and freedom.

And baseball, peanut butter, the airplane, and bourbon.
Penile implants? After all, this is a Men's Style forum.

Not American.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads