• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the concept of enlightenment a myth?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Sounds like the path to true happiness is to stop deep thought, not brooding on past mistakes, worrying of the future, being self concious etc.

I love **** like this, subscribed
smile.gif

I've actually been doing some of the things you mentioned, especially with material possessions. I don't really care about my car as long as it gets me where I need to go, stopped buying watches, etc.

As far as the other things, I've been told by a couple people including my gf/ex that I sound really apathetic most of the time. I guess not being overly dramatic about meaningless stuff is apathy? When we broke up, I just walked away...didn't spend a single minute being sad.

I think enlightenment is attainable, but there is the dark side of perceived apathy from those who are unenlightened. Maybe
confused.gif

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Enlightenment is about getting rid of illusion. Most of the humans on the planet seem hell bent on acquiring more illusion as fast as they can. Seems like it might be hard to find a truly enlightened individual.

If it is about getting rid of illusion than enlightenment is the same as dis-illusion. Not many want to be dis-illusioned either. I guess that's why it's not very popular. Must be about the red or blue pill.

Enlightenment wouldn't take you away from humanity it would bring you closer and deeper. If enlightenment is the healthiest state then the world must look really crazy and fucked up to an enlightened person. But I guess they wouldn't care.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
I love **** like this, subscribed
smile.gif

I've actually been doing some of the things you mentioned, especially with material possessions. I don't really care about my car as long as it gets me where I need to go, stopped buying watches, etc.

As far as the other things, I've been told by a couple people including my gf/ex that I sound really apathetic most of the time. I guess not being overly dramatic about meaningless stuff is apathy? When we broke up, I just walked away...didn't spend a single minute being sad.

I think enlightenment is attainable, but there is the dark side of perceived apathy from those who are unenlightened. Maybe
confused.gif

Indeed. Enlightenment has a slacker quality to it.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metro, you sound ripe pickings for any number of cults. I hope you have good friends looking out for you!

Seriously, true enlightenment is a life of true inaction, clearly this is only worth pursuing if you have absolute faith this will reap benefits in another life.

I used to a work with a guy who was a devout Catholic and lay monk, and was surprised when he said his order (I can't remember which but it was a major order) actively meditated as opposed to simply praying. I don't know if this mediation is a recent part of Catholic monastic life or if prayers in the past were structured to accommodate meditation and it was never thought of as meditation in the eastern sense.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think enlightenment has a lot to do with perspective change.

For example, a lot of people think enlightenment is about living without material things or not seeking them (cars, watches, etc.). By dismissing the material world, they feel that they are closer to enlightenment. I think that putting lesser value on the material world is just a side effect of an enlightened perspective. Once you see the world from a different perspective, the Ferrari doesn`t so important anymore. That doesn`t mean that if you own a Ferrari you will not be enlightened, or if you sell it you will.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
enlightenment is a young mans game.

when I was a teenager, I wanted to find enlightenment, sort of. part of that was trying to totally minimalize my ego. I actually made that a main focus of my life for just under a decade. then I realized how much I liked getting respect, status, and comfort.

I don't think that it is a myth, I am just not sure that it is the best tihng to chase in life.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

when I was a teenager, I wanted to find enlightenment, sort of. part of that was trying to totally minimalize my ego. I actually made that a main focus of my life for just under a decade. then I realized how much I liked getting respect, status, and comfort.

I don't think that it is a myth, I am just not sure that it is the best tihng to chase in life.

wise words, agree 10000000%. Did pretty much the same in early 20s

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

Originally Posted by Get Smart
wise words, agree 10000000%. Did pretty much the same in early 20s

It just means you gave in. Nothing wrong with that, and maybe it's the only way, but I wouldn't call them wise words.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I wouldnt call it giving in. More of a Taoist/Existentialist take on life, insomuch as just simplifying life and not fretting over the small stuff, creating your own take on happiness. Basic stuff that many can't seem to ever grasp or accomplish. I don't think "enlightenment" needs to mean you are on some higher spiritual level, just being comfortable in your own skin is about as enlightened as one can probably get. Sure everyone thinks he already is in own self perception, but probably not in reality. In the most layman's way to put it, the book Tao of Pooh, on the back cover where it's written that while the other characters fret, pontificate, etc, Pooh just "is".

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldnt call it giving in. More of a Taoist/Existentialist take on life, insomuch as just simplifying life and not fretting over the small stuff, creating your own take on happiness. Basic stuff that many can't seem to ever grasp or accomplish. I don't think "enlightenment" needs to mean you are on some higher spiritual level, just being comfortable in your own skin is about as enlightened as one can probably get. Sure everyone thinks he already is in own self perception, but probably not in reality. In the most layman's way to put it, the book Tao of Pooh, on the back cover where it's written that while the other characters fret, pontificate, etc, Pooh just "is".

Well, damn, dude. That's just about what I'd call enlightenment.
cheers.gif

In a way existentialism and enlightenment are very very connected. As Camus says, the thinking man realizes that life is utterly meaningless: there are two choices - suicide or acceptance of the absurdity of existence. If one chooses the latter, the world is his to interpret and interact with as he wishes (i.e. "create your own take on happiness"). Enlightenment is similarly about accepting what is and living life for the sake of living life, not to get to some secondary goal or purpose.

Perhaps you are an enlightened one!
worship.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the most layman's way to put it, the book Tao of Pooh, on the back cover where it's written that while the other characters fret, pontificate, etc, Pooh just "is".

bingo!

MS - here's the thing, when you are young you can spend your whole life fretting about philosophy. that's cool. there is a guy who lives at my gym, literally, he cleans up and they let him live there, he works out all day and hangs around. he's a cool enough guy. maybe 50. he may very well be "enlightened".

I deal with bills and work, I don't really give a **** (anymore) about philosophy, I am not enlightened. I come home to my wife who loves me, and my kids who love me. I sit in my comfertable chair, eat a nice meal, drink a nice imported beer, watch a silly tv show.

who has the better life?

hard to say.

who has the more comfortable life. pretty easy to say.

cimabue

Reaction score
Know thyself.

This is the only enlightenment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads