• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it that wrong to wear women's clothing?

epliohunk

Reaction score
I was in Urban Outfitters with some friends today and spotted this very interesting navy and cream cardigan in the women's section. No glitters, no feathers, nothing... very simple. I tried it on, it fit, looked great and wasn't so expensive. I'm a x-small guy, so that doesn't happen all that frequently.

Their response, however, was immediately negative... too tight, women's clothes are for women, I'm a man - why the **** I am trying women's clothes?

The truth is, the cardigan fitted about just like every other cardigan I have in my wardrobe (most of them from Uniqlo, which is 6 hours away from where I live), if not better. (The only problem is that it buttoned on the opposite way of regular men's cardigan).

Is it that much of a big deal to wear women's apparel that fit as good or better than men's clothing?

I didn't quite get why their reaction was so negative, and why the simple fact that it was in the women's section made it such a huge deal. I wonder what they would have said if I had found the exact same piece just a few meters away in the men's section.

I understand how it can be debatable when it comes to guys getting women's jeans because they want them as tight as possible, but a good-fitting classic cardigan? What's the problem?

Enlighten me, should I actually go back and get it or would I be the cause of a mass infarctus?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epliohunk
I was in Urban Outfitters with some friends today and spotted this very interesting navy and cream cardigan in the women's section. No glitters, no feathers, nothing... very simple. I tried it on, it fit, looked great and wasn't so expensive. I'm a x-small guy, so that doesn't happen all that frequently. Their response, however, was immediately negative... too tight, women's clothes are for women, I'm a man - why the **** I am trying women's clothes? The truth is, the cardigan fitted about just like every other cardigan I have in my wardrobe (most of them from Uniqlo, which is 6 hours away from where I live), if not better. (The only problem is that it buttoned on the opposite way of regular men's cardigan). Is it that much of a big deal to wear women's apparel that fit as good or better than men's clothing? I didn't quite get why their reaction was so negative, and why the simple fact that it was in the women's section made it such a huge deal. I wonder what they would have said if I had found the exact same piece just a few meters away in the men's section. I understand how it can be debatable when it comes to guys getting women's jeans because they want them as tight as possible, but a good-fitting classic cardigan? What's the problem? Enlighten me, should I actually go back and get it or would I be the cause of a mass infarctus?
I encounter this issue when buying overcoats. Most of the men's coats are tailored for Obese goys and I'm rather slim, with just enough baby fat to make me look opulent upon returning to my native land. Now, with overcoats, the styling is deprived from the military so men's and ladies' overcoats look identical but some DUMBASS decided to switch the sides for buttons and button holes so women have a harder time working the buttons. While I have never made the switch, I'm missing out on some very good deals with clothes that fit well. Still, all my buttons are on the right hand side to this day. My only advice to you is get a better job and make more money so you can go bespoke. Wearing women's clothes will damage your mind in the long run. That harmless cardigan will lead to stilettos and before you know it, you start getting pregnant.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It can only be decided on a case by case basis. I suggest you post pics for us to review.

navalnola

Reaction score
Risk the chance of looking as though you shop in your mother/sister/girlfriend's closet for clothing. Bad form.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it fits and flatter you, why the hell not?

Also, most women items are cheaper than mens'.

Just be aware that button placements are reversed.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a related note, women wearing men's clothing kind of turns me on a little. Is that wrong?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you talking real woman (born a woman) or are you talking "women"?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
are you talking real woman (born a woman) or are you talking "women"?

Real women. "Women" only work for me when they are in women's clothing.

red120

Reaction score
I don't think it's a big deal. If people look at you when you're wearing it and don't think, "Women's clothing?", it's fine. Especially in the US.. if you want something slim that fits, sometimes women's sweaters, jackets and stuff work. I also wear XS/S in mens, so I hear ya.. That being said, don't try on women's pieces when you're with a bunch of your friends
biggrin.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if can accept the insults that will be called at you go for it.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Go for it. Some times boundaries are disregarded. Short men with small frames shop in kids' section, women wear some men's colognes etc.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
On a related note, women wearing men's clothing kind of turns me on a little. Is that wrong?

A woman wearing nothing but your white dress shirt the next morning is uber sexy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads