• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to reach the level where you "stop thinking about clothing?"

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Mafoo once remarked that his goal one day was to stop thinking about clothing, so to speak. I really identified with his comment because I feel like I spend too much time on Styleforum, thinking about what I should buy next, trying to develop my own personal style (dare I say "uniform") and I am somewhat envious of my former college self when I was content to rock a polo, shorts and rainbows pretty much 24/7. Even worse, when I do dress up a bit, I am usually very aware of my clothing, how it fits, etc. (whether I like what I am wearing or dislike certain items) And I don't particularly like that this is the case. I should mention that I'm not really new to dressing up, just relatively new to thinking about things through the "Styleforum perspective," if that makes any sense. With all this knowledge of clothing and luxury brands, I've become even more detail oriented, and even worse, materialistic. Do you think that Mafoo's goal of no longer thinking about clothes is realistic for the average obsessed Styleforumer?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me its a passion. Its more than a hobby... more than just shopping, judging others, and giving advice. I love fashion! I dont want to give it up. Its a piece of who I am. Although I do have to admit I wonder what it is like to not care at all.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think it takes a little bit, but i find myself caring less and less about getting a little scatch here, little pull there, all that bullshit.

Still care very much about how it fits, and obviously do my best to keep everything clean and in good shape.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
For me its a passion. Its more than a hobby... more than just shopping, judging others, and giving advice. I love fashion! I dont want to give it up. Its a piece of who I am. Although I do have to admit I wonder what it is like to not care at all.

I think that is my problem, is that it has become one of my main hobbies, but I never wanted it to be that way. I think I thought that I could learn everything really quickly, look really good, and forget about it
confused.gif

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think it takes a little bit, but i find myself caring less and less about getting a little scatch here, little pull there, all that bullshit.

Still care very much about how it fits, and obviously do my best to keep everything clean and in good shape.

Still caring about the fit, colors, patterns, matching, buying is especially what I'm talking about, and I still care very much also
smile.gif

Originally Posted by edmorel
I've reached a point of enlightenment where I have actually stopped thinking about stopping thinking about clothing.

No words, just ---->
worship.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The trick is to only care when you are getting dressed, and then go and live your life and stop worrying about it. That's about where I am now. Occasionally I think of a piece I'd like to add, or if I need to kill time I'll hit a thrift/vintage/used clothing store, but I barely think about it most of the time anymore. Occasionally (especially at more formal events) I will cringe inwardly at what I see (especially shoes) but I don't let it color how/what I think about the wearer. Some of the best people I know wear the douchiest/cheapest/ill-fittingest/dirtiest clothing, but it doesn't change who they are. I do readily give advice to people if they ask though, because people can tell that I care somewhat, and they occasionally ask.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The trick is to only care when you are getting dressed, and then go and live your life and stop worrying about it...
Originally Posted by iammatt
I stopped thinking about clothing a while ago.
Is what j said what you mean matt? And by the way, well said j.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm less anal than I used to be, but I'd like to think that's true in general. I'm pretty happy to have my wardrobe to the point where I can throw stuff on and be relatively certain I'll like what I'm wearing and that it will look at least decent.

Oddly, I'm back, at least for now, pretty close to where I started. The Trad is strong, I guess.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, when you are dead. Of course you may still be concerned about the drape and placement of your wings (or horns, as the case may be), but you'll have a long time to work these details out. No worries.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Some of the best people I know wear the douchiest/cheapest/ill-fittingest/dirtiest clothing, but it doesn't change who they are.

That is very true. Their appearance still bothers me though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
That is very true. Their appearance still bothers me though.
That's too bad. Unless you are Labelking, whose entire persona is based around a disapproving glare, being bothered by others' clothing is too much of a psychic burden for this short life.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed, i always offer my friends advice (when asked only) and i'm pretty straight up about it, i tell them what they need to know, not what they want to hear.

They're still my friends though, regardless.

I enjoy being the guy in my area who is the most style-forward.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm less anal than I used to be, but I'd like to think that's true in general. I'm pretty happy to have my wardrobe to the point where I can throw stuff on and be relatively certain I'll like what I'm wearing and that it will look at least decent. Oddly, I'm back, at least for now, pretty close to where I started. The Trad is strong, I guess.
Not only would I like to only think about my clothing when I am getting dressed, but I want it to be a quick and fleeting decision if that. I guess I just have this ideal, that the only thing cooler than being "fresh to death" style wise, is doing it without even trying anymore... Plus it's taking up a lot of my time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads