• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it more stylish for a dress shirt to have a front pocket or no front pocket?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I get most of my shirts without pockets, and agree that it is dressier, but to call a pocket a faux pas is just incorrect.
it certainly is a faux pas on what an Englishman would call a dress shirt ie one with French cuffs. It's alright on a "casual button up" in this case I go for a 4" by 4" pocket. Looks more elegant. Pockets are obviously utilatarian in origin and (mostly) function. Adding them onto a garment negates the ceromonial or "dress" aspect.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wait until you need reading glasses then it might become apparent why a front pocket on a dress shirt is both highly functional and desirable.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I find shirts without pockets are more formal. I think pockets on casual shirts can be nicely functional.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orthofrancis
So where do you guys keep your phones then? A holster on your belt (barf!)

Jacket pocket, or pants pocket.

CatsEyes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Just wait until you need reading glasses then it might become apparent why a front pocket on a dress shirt is both highly functional and desirable.

+1!

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
And I always thought the monocle went in the jacket pocket. Have I been doing it wrong?

Horatio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orthofrancis
So where do you guys keep your phones then? A holster on your belt (barf!)

Pants pocket. If it's too bulky it's the wrong phone for me
smile.gif

I prefer shirts without pockets. They are acceptable for business shirts...

Best, H.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I suppose no pocket is marginally preferable, but I'm usually more concerned with details such as point vs. spread collar.

glowell222

Reaction score
If I needed a pocket on my dress shirts, I would have a pocket on my dress shirts. Otherwise, it's only a matter of personal preference.

fox81

Reaction score
unless youre donald draper and you want to put one of the 8 packs of cigarettes you smoke a day in there, no pocket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads