• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it legal to sleep in your car?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this a theoretical question? Or are you actually planning on going forward with this?

I'm doing this. Am a man of action.
Good luck, and be safe. Btw, the plan for using your AF membership for cleaning up should work. I'm a member of AF and on occasion see folks who come in for a shower and leave. Sleeping in the car would be my main concern.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty worried about legal trouble, if I get anything (even a speeding ticket) then I can't be in the Air Force and let's just say my life will be a lot more difficult.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm pretty worried about legal trouble, if I get anything (even a speeding ticket) then I can't be in the Air Force and let's just say my life will be a lot more difficult.
Given your concern and aspirations, I wouldn't chance sleeping in the car every night. I wasn't kidding when I posted that I called the cops on a guy sleeping in front of my house. What about a cheap motel or a camp site?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Find a bridge and park your car under there. Obviously, let the locals (in this case, other homeless people) know that you don't want any trouble and that you don't plan on staying too long.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i napped in my car today in a strip mall parking lot in PA. i did not get arrested. true story.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You will need to keep moving.

Dont:

stay in the same place two nights in a row
sleep in front of someones suburban home
park your car for more than 8-10 hours

Do:

Find a semi-crowded area where your parked car wont attract any attention (i.e. urban city neighborhoods where people park on the street)
Keep both the exterior and interior of your car clean

I have slept on the passenger side of my car many a drunken nights. Once in SF, I slept in the marina district (semi-nice urban neighborhood). My car was parked in between all the other cars so unless you were to look inside each car, no one would have spotted me. Another time I slept in an adjacent parking lot to my workplace. In both instances, I didnt get the attention of any bystanders or security. Just keep it low key, blend-in, and dont overstay your time in any one place.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, not sure if you mentioned this but what vehicle do you intend on sleeping in? Make, model, and year

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, take this questionnaire. The fewer the points, the better

Good luck

Last edited:

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95 Nissan Altima with a generous amount of rust. :embar: Relatively suspect.

I am more afraid of Phoenix's phinest than some black bears or whatever creatures may lurk in AZ, so I think camping is a more viable option, especially if it's only $10 a day.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads