• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it legal to sleep in your car?

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've spent many a night in my car, especially in LA, because it's pretty much impossible to go out to a bar somewhere and then not drive home fucked up. The city is too spread out, there are only about 10 taxi cabs in the entire metro area, there's no public transportation to speak of, and there are about 10 cops to every 5 people. So leaving a bar or after-hours club, sans *****, often involves finding a nearby parking lot and sleeping it off for 5 or 6 hours.

I've had decent luck with supermarket and big-box retail parking lots. Try to park in an inconspicuous location, like next to a dumpster. Avoid spotlights.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wal-mart has a company policy to let overnighters stay in their lots. I used to sleep in my truck there a lot when I was traveling around the country during my more liberal days.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wal-mart has a company policy to let overnighters stay in their lots. I used to sleep in my truck there a lot when I was traveling around the country during my more liberal days.

I didn't know they had a policy to allow it, but I do know of people who have rested in their lots when making long road trips.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I didn't know they had a policy to allow it, but I do know of people who have rested in their lots when making long road trips.

They knew how to accomodate their faithful customer base.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

This. Some friends of ours just 'retired' from living in their RV full-time. They looked through their notes and worked out that they'd slept in Walmart lots for the equivalent of one full year out of the last 15.

noobedloser

Reaction score
I dont think sleeping in the car is the issue but where your are is parked and the general area of it

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Likewise. Over the road truckers sleep in their cabs, of course, so it would seem disingenuous to prevent regular people from doing so in their cars, provided you don't fall afoul of some other law -- i.e., sleeping in the nude with covers = not a good idea.

Quote:
Huh. Interesting. I've done it twice in Wal-Mart lots when the weather was too bad to get home from class (I have a 2.5hr commute). It always seemed somehow like that was the place to head to. I folded down the rear seats and slept with my lower body in the trunk. A little awkward, but OK. Figured the car would attract less attention if both front seats were visible and upright. I parked near the end of an end row so I was sort of near other cars, but not on a path from another parking spot to the store, so it would be unlikely for someone to happen across me. Gone at 7am.

Really though, I would see about camping. You can have a much better time; fires are cheerful, your food will be cheaper and better, etc. If you can upfront some cash to get some equipment, it can actually be a good experience, especially in AZ where I imagine the weather is mild. Maybe if you front the entire amount to the site owner you can get a break.

~ H

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough to say. If there are any legal issues, it may be due to city or county ordinances. These can be more difficult to research. Even if there are not statutes against sleeping in your car, the police can bend other statutes to cite you for your activity (loitering etc.). Overall, I don't think you will have any problems unless someone makes a complaint. If you've been drinking, don't sleep in the driver's seat. You can still be arrested for DUI (as it shows your intent to drive). If questioned, apologize to the officer and move on. Best of luck.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Technically speaking, that's not sleeping, but I get your point. :laugh:

KurtS90

Reaction score
I been meaning to reply to this thread... I have slept in two different cars for varied lengths in time. Both are less then ideal, yet a rewarding experience. You will need to be organized, clean, and stealthy. I do advise keeping a gun in the car, but I am bit a anal (had a few crack heads made me nervous). I do advise on preparing and finding a 24/7 Gym (also a place to masturbate).

93 Chevy Corvette 2.5 Months, until I sold the car:
I lived with my parents, but there crappy marriage and them finding out about my sexuality pretty much forced me to go. I had a good size investment account at this time nearly $30,000. I did not not want to touch this money at all. But I only had $2,900 in checking/savings. I had to get a storage unit to put my 63 Ford Falcon Convertible (Fathers car, did sell after a while) and other belongings. I always paid auto insurance in full and really only had cell phone... I did not have a job and spent my days looking.

But at first I slept at rest stops off I4. I did this for a while (4 Days), but this is also illegal to overnight park; go figure and cops do patrol! I was harassed a bit, but in the end just moved along. I then started sleeping in the dark corner at local Wal-Marts. I had 5 different stores I would go to, I would do it in random. This seem to be find and no one seemed to care. Sleeping was not the best and took 1-2 hours to fall asleep. Depression, thoughts of suicide, and anger was running though my head. The best I could do and was a lot more comfortable then you would think. Was move the passenger seat forward and laying the back rest toward the windshield. I would then lay my feet on the seat back, my head in the hatch area. I had a blanket and use the cargo cover for a since of privacy. Tinted windows and sunshade for the windshield helped allot. But this Vette was bright yellow and the windows fogging up probably bought a lot of attention.

Organization is the key. I would go to storage every 3-4 days. I had 3 small bags, sleeping bag, pillow, handgun case, first aid, two pair of shoes, and covered everything with the blanket during the day. The 3 bags was pretty simple, (1) clean clothes with hygiene gear, (2) dirty clothes, and (3) food. Food was mostly beef jerky, canned fruit, peanut butter and bread... I lost a lot of weight, but looked healthy as I spent a lot of time in the gym.

There is so many different local laws and difficult in knowing them. Its not illegal to my knowledge to live in your car. But there's so much BS that a cop can make your night a living hell he can book you with... Also homeless shelters, they want you to attend AA/Drug meetings during the day for every night you want to sleep. They don't care if your clean, they just ask,"Then why are you homeless?" Just remember America does not welcome the frugal, so don't be an eyesore.

I did get a job after a while, best job I ever had. It was in aviation doing commission sales for an interior restoration company... Made good money, but they went under.

72 Triumph Spitfire, 6 days:
Not really much can be said, I was in between apartments. I moved out of one and could not move into the current one till a week later. So I went on a road trip/adventure. Did the same as above, but was scared utterly shitles. I could not get comfortable and was afraid some crack head would come by with a knife...

I hope it helps, I mostly just typed out what immediately came to my head. But feel free to ask some questions. All in all, I am considering doing this in the near feature. All the way until I complete college. It is a thought that seriously been running through my head. Mostly because I want to save money and move to New York City or San Fransico after college. I also don't have much family. Dad killed himself in front of mother, mother has severe problems due to it. So leaving family behind entirely, does not seem like a bad idea; seems relieving.

Anyways if I do it again it will be with a van. I will probably cheap out and buy a conversion van... But I been thinking about buying a nice cargo van, a long one such as a Dodge Van 3500. I have scaled drawing of a nice set up. Would have a nice wood interior similar to a log cabin with private sleep area in the back. But the center would be an office with fridge and and microwave. I would line the roof with solar panels and have a nice spot for batteries. But I am unsure if this is possible, at least in the $12,000 range. I don't want an RV as I can't drive it to class or blend in...

~Crazy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some guy i work with used to sleep in his car, after a couple of months he got very ill because of it, how long are you planning to do this for?

Sly.

KurtS90

Reaction score
Some guy i work with used to sleep in his car, after a couple of months he got very ill because of it, how long are you planning to do this for?
Sly.

I don't know if your referring to me or the op. If I make the investment in a proper van, more so my "dream" set up. I am aiming for 4 years give or take. The dream setup would be like a tiny studio on wheels, minus bathroom. But I would look into a national 24/7 Gym Membership or the biggest one possible. It would only be used at night for sleeping and a bit of school work. It would essentially be an RV on the inside but look like an average cargo van on the outside. But on the roof would be lined with solar panels (bit of a give away).

But staying clean is going to be your biggest concern, including your vehicle. I know one of the weeks I was mildly sick with a cold in the Vette, but I think I got over it pretty fast with meds and working out.

Edit: I have not researched solar panels or how they work... Just a thought I am looking into. I know it can be done, for the very least running a fridge and couple of lights. I have goals in mind to meet, I will wait till I have a final decision if I am going through it to start my own thread.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My coworker lived in trailer parked in a small woods behind his college during his undergrad and masters...but that was in the 60's...and in Kentucky...

I would suggest an area with parallel parking, that way your presence is nondescript.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads