• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is college really all that great?

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handlethevibe
Everyone says their years in college were the greatest years of their lives, but I find this hard to believe, from my point of view anyways. I'm 17, I'm not a bro, I don't go to keggers, and I couldn't give two ***** about how my school's football team is doing. I like reading, watching movies, and clothes. From the looks of it, college is going to suck for me. I've bullshitted through high school, so there's no chance for me to get into a nice liberal arts school, and even if I did have the grades, my older sister is already going to one of the top 10 most expensive colleges in the nation, and I'd rather not put any more financial strain on my family. It seems like I'm destined for a state school. Is there any hope for me? How were all your college experiences fellow SFers?
The only way to find out is to not go and then let us know how much you regret it 10 years later. And yes, I would like fries with that.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
When I was graduating from hs I didnt give a **** about the football team, didnt go to keggers, etc either...and I had a blast in college. You're bound to meet others who share the crappy interests you have and you'll have a good time being an outsider. I know I did.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like most things, college is what you make of it but it's hard for me to imagine a better place for a young adult to figure things out or do nothing for a few years.

I did a little of both and my only real complaint was not having money...those late-night drunken fits of panic and confusion, the four of us standing in the White Hen across from Manchester dorm looking at a little cellophane-wrapped pack of cheese cubes through chilled foggy glass knowing, while pocket lint was getting jammed into our fingernails, that this was another night we couldn't scratch together $1.27.

But it was all good. You will never find a place with more people, your own age, congested in a single spot, with so much in common, ever again...and you will never need as many rubbers in your life either
bigstar[1].gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
And as a word of advice - engineering students are tolerable only to other engineering students...barely.
devil.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GS,

did you attend HS in SoCal?

Originally Posted by Get Smart
When I was graduating from hs I didnt give a **** about the football team, didnt go to keggers, etc either...and I had a blast in college. You're bound to meet others who share the crappy interests you have and you'll have a good time being an outsider. I know I did.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Nowadays, a B.A./B.S. bachelor degree is like a high school diploma. And if you don't have one, it's really hard to afford all the finer things in life. I think college is the time when you start to develop a sense of identify and assessment of what you want in life. For me, especially at this point, I want financial freedom (no boss), professional career, and a trophy wife. You sound quite defeatist so all I can is good luck.

quoted for truth. you figure yourself out in college. you realize that you can actually make your own decisions. and you control what you want to do the rest of your life (or just a few years and then change it up). i still got 2 more years of school left i basically hate class but i love being on my own and doing things my way

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Holy ****. You went to college?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Your college experience doesnt have to be Animal House. My own experience in college in both Australia and the US is best covered by Brian and Jason upthread....
Originally Posted by Brian278
A lot of the stereotypes about state schools are true, but most of them are so huge that if you don't find things that you enjoy about it and people you like to hang out with you're not looking hard enough.

Chadley

Reaction score
I go to a large state school. I'm not sure what "all that great" would actually mean, but I enjoy it here. This is a great place for me for a few years.

You'll most likely find something or manything that you like; and it normally helps to look.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be the best time in your life if you play it right.

You might even enjoy it so much you become a professor so you'll never have to leave.

There really is something magical about it, and entirely too many people who do go to college waste what is available.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
S.h.i.t.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good attitude. Here's my undergraduate dorm a few years ago. I paid + $40,000 a year for this little rat hole. I basically slept between my bike and the wheels on the left. I remembered waking up with grease all over my body every morning.
EvokeBuilding036-1.jpg
The outside is quite nice though:
EvokeBuilding040.jpg
Living space is ****, however. So "not all that great" is hard to define. It's what you make of it really.
Originally Posted by Chadley
I go to a large state school. I'm not sure what "all that great" would actually mean, but I enjoy it here. This is a great place for me for a few years. You'll most likely find something or manything that you like; and it normally helps to look.

Chadley

Reaction score
Doh--especially for 40k. It does look nice from the outside. My dorm looked like a bomb shelter. Well, actually it is a bomb shelter; the sign is still nailed to the outside brick.

Thank goodness I live off-campus now. One of the few things that has bothered me at times was the dorm I lived in my first year. Not only was it much more expensive than living off-campus, but that place was crud. It was one of the worst dorms on campus and falling apart. The year after I moved out, a student died when an elevator malfunctioned in a neighboring dorm. They did have too many people on the elevator, but still, there are numbers of times the same thing could have happened in our dorm and others.

My dorm room looks like it was a little bigger than yours, although I shared it with another guy. My dorm had no AC and my room was across from the public bathroom shared by 30 guys. That meant that the cross breeze went from the bathroom, across the hallway, into my room and out my window. All together, though, I didn't mind that much because the people were great.

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
And as a word of advice - engineering students are tolerable only to other engineering students...barely.
devil.gif

No, its because we are superior in ever way imaginable and lesser mortals are incapable of grasping that.

bigstar[1].gif

I thought I was going to get to build cool ****, not do a lot of math and mindless report writing.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads