• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Brown becoming slowly the new Black?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After years of "Black Supremacy" in our wardrobe , brown (especially dark deep brown) is becoming more and more essential to any decent personal clothing collection.
I do think that the revival and explosion of the beautiful brown shoe patinas and the constant search for new tones have helped to transform the rigid etiquette surrounding men fashion....
Brown is becoming more and more acceptable and fashionable ,even if the sphere of business is still very attached to the navy/black/grey brigade...
Is anybody on this forum do like dark vibrant brown suits for example or the brown revolution is more a shoes thing?
Chocolate ,pewter and also bronze tones are eveywhere.....
Are finally opening the triology black/grey/navy to different colours such as brown or is it just a fad?

wgiceman

Reaction score
I, for one, definitely hope that brown does escape the traditional limitations. I have a wonderful dark brown suit that never fails to get compliments whenever I wear it. The same thing happens when I wear a lighter British tan colored suit. They both open up a lot of new possibilities of style and elegance.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I thought brown was officially crowned the "new black" back in the later mid 90s...altho suddenly everyone seems to have "discovered" brown shoes

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 brown suits:

Dk brown pinstripe
Med. brown double stripe
brown /grey / khaki glen plaid

They get alot of use.
-and for what its worth I saw a dark brown DB chalk stripe in Ralph Lauren that was amazing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be nice.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wouldn't that be nice.
maybe, for like, some kind of FARMER...

stach

Reaction score
For farmer!
lookaround.gif
(Sorry, I could not resist -)

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure that brown is the "new black" since I've never found black appropriate for other than a few ceremonial uses (just too stark and absolute), but I've definitely become a huge brown fan over the past six or so years. As posted in another thread on this topic, I've accumulated about nine brown/brown-family suits since early 2000. I love them, to the point where I now have more brown/brown-family suits than navy. In fact, I even have the dark chocolate pin stripe that DP refernced in his post. I also have another dark cholate w/double bead stripe in a single breasted w/peak lapels. Those two are probably my favorites, though not by much (as I have at least four other very handsome brown shades and patterns).

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really love my chocolate tailored shirts and my chocolate Zegna suit.....
I bought recently a Corneliani with a lovely steely chocolate/brown tone.
It is still quite difficult to find designers offering other shade of brown than the chocolate or tan shades....
The massive plus with chocolate shirt and suit ,your shoe patina is becoming even more interesting .....I really like the Berluti cacao patina and the Parisian brown museum for John Lobb....
I also going to buy a John Lobb Becketts in pewter Museum, just to play a little bit more with these vibrant brown colours.
I wear my brown mainly chocolate shirts ....Any advice on different tones for dark brown suits?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I thought brown was officially crowned the "new black" back in the later mid 90s
+1

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
maybe, for like, some kind of FARMER...
So now black is for farmer? I'm afraid to leave the house without having this settled.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
So now black is for farmer? I'm afraid to leave the house without having this settled.

You may certainly leave the house and wear your brown suit while touring the back forty. However, if off the property, certainly no further than the mailbox.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
I thought pink was thew new black.
smile.gif

Someone posted here a few months ago that fat is the new black. Now I'm confused.
spam[1].gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're fat and you're wearing brown, you're in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads