• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is Brown becoming slowly the new Black?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After years of "Black Supremacy" in our wardrobe , brown (especially dark deep brown) is becoming more and more essential to any decent personal clothing collection.
I do think that the revival and explosion of the beautiful brown shoe patinas and the constant search for new tones have helped to transform the rigid etiquette surrounding men fashion....
Brown is becoming more and more acceptable and fashionable ,even if the sphere of business is still very attached to the navy/black/grey brigade...
Is anybody on this forum do like dark vibrant brown suits for example or the brown revolution is more a shoes thing?
Chocolate ,pewter and also bronze tones are eveywhere.....
Are finally opening the triology black/grey/navy to different colours such as brown or is it just a fad?

wgiceman

Reaction score
I, for one, definitely hope that brown does escape the traditional limitations. I have a wonderful dark brown suit that never fails to get compliments whenever I wear it. The same thing happens when I wear a lighter British tan colored suit. They both open up a lot of new possibilities of style and elegance.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I thought brown was officially crowned the "new black" back in the later mid 90s...altho suddenly everyone seems to have "discovered" brown shoes

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 brown suits:

Dk brown pinstripe
Med. brown double stripe
brown /grey / khaki glen plaid

They get alot of use.
-and for what its worth I saw a dark brown DB chalk stripe in Ralph Lauren that was amazing.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be nice.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wouldn't that be nice.
maybe, for like, some kind of FARMER...

stach

Reaction score
For farmer!
(Sorry, I could not resist -)

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure that brown is the "new black" since I've never found black appropriate for other than a few ceremonial uses (just too stark and absolute), but I've definitely become a huge brown fan over the past six or so years. As posted in another thread on this topic, I've accumulated about nine brown/brown-family suits since early 2000. I love them, to the point where I now have more brown/brown-family suits than navy. In fact, I even have the dark chocolate pin stripe that DP refernced in his post. I also have another dark cholate w/double bead stripe in a single breasted w/peak lapels. Those two are probably my favorites, though not by much (as I have at least four other very handsome brown shades and patterns).

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought pink was thew new black.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really love my chocolate tailored shirts and my chocolate Zegna suit.....
I bought recently a Corneliani with a lovely steely chocolate/brown tone.
It is still quite difficult to find designers offering other shade of brown than the chocolate or tan shades....
The massive plus with chocolate shirt and suit ,your shoe patina is becoming even more interesting .....I really like the Berluti cacao patina and the Parisian brown museum for John Lobb....
I also going to buy a John Lobb Becketts in pewter Museum, just to play a little bit more with these vibrant brown colours.
I wear my brown mainly chocolate shirts ....Any advice on different tones for dark brown suits?

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I thought brown was officially crowned the "new black" back in the later mid 90s
+1

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
maybe, for like, some kind of FARMER...
So now black is for farmer? I'm afraid to leave the house without having this settled.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
So now black is for farmer? I'm afraid to leave the house without having this settled.

You may certainly leave the house and wear your brown suit while touring the back forty. However, if off the property, certainly no further than the mailbox.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
I thought pink was thew new black.

Someone posted here a few months ago that fat is the new black. Now I'm confused.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're fat and you're wearing brown, you're in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40