1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

It should be OK, it's not a cheapo Android like many of them. I know this is the iPhone 5 thread, but I'm looking to get a Nexus 4 myself next month, and being a Google experience phone, it should get updates very promptly.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Just saw the picture in the side-bar...What the hell happened here? - did you drive a car over them or something? Got AppleCare?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Mike, the HTC One developers edition gives you the same direct updates from Google. Also, the build quality, screen, and a few other things make the Nexus 4 look like a toy in comparison. Go for the HTC One DE if you have access to it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    HTC One from a hardware standpoint is by far my favorite Android handset on the market at the moment. Beautiful, high quality materials/specs and well made. It's a shame they won't see the sales numbers Samsung is seeing with their constant stream of plastic garbage.

Congrats on the phone Shibbel. Keep us updated on how you like it.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

HTC One has some pretty damn impressive specs, quad core, 1080p...dayum. It has some Monster/BeatsByDre speaker in it....does this mean this will be the first Android device ever that supports ControlTalk?

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

You see this as a good thing?

7. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

In the case of the HTC One, very much so. It kills every mobile phone, ever, when it comes to volume and sound.

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Thanks, I'll have a look at the HTC. Don't think it's available here, but I'm going to the UK next month for a few weeks. Might be available there. It'll have to be unlocked and off-contract.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Crap,I'm on Sprint in Houston, Tx and just bought a cash Samsung Note 2 so I didn't have to renew my contract ( I have 9 months left ).

Sprint is CDMA. Could an HTC One work on their network? It sounds like the nicest current hardware.

I'm not too tech savvy nor a heavy user and I am enjoying the Note 2 ( I don't mind the size at all ). The build quality is nothing special though. Do most of you experts consider the HTC One superior to the Note 2? What are the advantages?

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Why didn't you join our Houston meat up? :plain:

11. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Missed seeing it. I went to the one downtown a few years ago.

These days I generally read just the CE Forum and a little other stuff.

I'm fascinated by tech but don't know much.

If any SF member is in the Galleria area, and wants a coffee or anything at the Starbucks on Richmond and Chimney Rock, or PO Blvd and Westheimer, PM me, and it's on me.

I have an office on Richmond at Greenridge and plenty of time and flexibility.

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Except for the Nokia 808. Symbian Belle might not be as smoothest OS around, the standard browser might suck (but that is why Gawd created Opera), the screen resolution might not be the the highest (but it is viewable in bright direct sunlight), it might not have the most apps and it might be a little short on RAM BUT it has the best camera ever put in a mobile device, supports the most video codecs straight out the box, can swallow an 64 gig exFAT formatted sdcard with ease and it plays the loudest and the clearest of any cel phone I have ever come across.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

So has anyone discovered a smartphone headset with a decent quality mic? Plenty of choices for good audio on the user's end, but mic quality uniformly sucks. I've had to resort to using no- mic headphones with the phone's mic. With that you lose convenience. Has anyone tried a gaming headset with an iPhone, and is the one that won't make you look like an escapee from a control tower?

14. gort

gort Senior member

wired or wireless? I use a jabra halo 2 for daily listening at work for podcasts and music. Can be bluetooth and also can be wired.

Jabo Halo2 Headset

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Looks nice, but I would like to find a good stereo Bluetooth headset designed for athletic activities like jogging.

16. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

All the ones I've seen either have two jack plugs or they're USB, because they're meant for PCs.

17. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

As far wireless goes I'm liking the Harmon Kardon BT, however, I recorded a voicemail with them and played it back, revealing that while play back is quite good, the mic is horrible. Something like this with a boom mic that has a windscreen would be nice.

18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I got a Spigen Glass.tr screen protector and it is great. I cannot take a picture of it because my phone cannot take a picture of itself.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

Oh my, the HTC One is very nice. I'll wait to look at the Samsung, but it looks like apple can kiss my ass goodbye.

lefty

20. otc

otc Senior member

My only gripe is how big the damn things are. If the rumors are true though, they are making a smaller phone (code-name HTC M4) that uses the same style chassis as the HTC One but is closer to an iphone in size. It sounds like an attempt to compete with samsung and the upcoming S4 Mini.

Unfortunately, all of the fanboi news sites always refer to these things as budget models and reference them "targeting the people who can't afford an S4/HTC One"...I don't know if that is really true (since they have plenty of full-plastic obvious budget models), but wtf? I don't want a phone that fits in my hand because I am poor, I want it because my pants don't have room for a 5" screen. At the end of the day, these things are like a $100 difference...or an extra Latte per month if you spread it out over the contract.

I'm almost considering getting the stupid facebook phone. If you disable the facebook thing, it is running stock android like the Nexus 4, and in several ways it is better than the Nexus 4 (according to these guys: )...good build quality, nice size form factor, and 4G LTE.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013