• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
not really, no, but I will absolutely need something that is light and easy to transport. The Air comes to mind first, but the retina display is too awesome to pass up. Unfortunately, that takes you from a 1200-1300 laptop in the Air to a 2200-2500 laptop in with the Pro Retina. Was hoping that a 13" would come along that was smaller and lighter and cheaper (1500-1600ish), but $1700 and with only 128 gb flash storage has me thinking meeehhh.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a 13" macbook air with 256GB fo flash. Not getting anything else for a long time. If anything I will just update ipads, (which I don't even own yet).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
iPad mini is exactly what was expected. Thin, light and non-retina. Thing temps the hell out of me for the sake of single handed operation, but I don't think I could go back after using Retina so long.

Disappointed at the price points. Really expected them to hit $249 for the base. By having the pricing start at $329, they are giving a big advantage to the competition. It's a mistake on Apple's part to do so.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm open to considering the 13 inch Air, but need to be able to drive two external monitors at once for work. Only the Pro models can do this.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of my MBA but it does get a little hot when streaming flash videos or playing mp4 videos.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
MBA is ******* amazing. honestly one of the best purchases i've ever made.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ahhh, I needed this. :)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Want to take advantage of updated laptops. My MBPro was 1st generation with Intel and isn't supported in Mountain Lion. Air or Pro Retina, would be happy with either because of the upgrade but not sure which I prefer. Air is all I need but Retina would be the best for text and rendering photos of cloth and clothes with clients. Was easily spoiled by new screen on phone 5 over 3, assume would be the same difference going with the Retina.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
in practice, the Air is everything I need and is well priced. But I have a feeling that in the not so distant future the Retina display will basically be the standard, and I usually keep my computers for 5-6 years before replacing.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of my MBA but it does get a little hot when streaming flash videos or playing mp4 videos.

I had a MacBook Air last semester and it was great for doing work, but if I wanted to watch lectures online it would get loud and hot.

I may get a 15" MBPr for Christmas, but my curent machine is only one year old. :embar:

I had an iPad 2 last semester as well but I preferred the MacBook Air.

**never mind about this comment, I was confusing myself**

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Verge just confirmed my fears. The 13 inch Pro with Retina lacks any sort of discrete graphic chip. http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3542996/apple-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-announced
I'll pass. That's why too much to spend on a laptop without it. The display is nice, but I think most consumers are much better off with the Air. Performance shouldn't be all that far off.

The HD4000 may not be great for games, but 2560x1600 is a pretty standard resolution that's been around for a long time. 30-inch monitors are this resolution. I don't think its speed outside of 3D-intensive games should be lacking at all. The specs for the 13-inch also say it can drive 2 more displays in addition to its own native display, all at 2560x1600, so I think there's plenty of bandwidth there.

What surprised me most about the announcement was the iMac. I am not an iMac person, but I may forgo the Ivy Bridge Mac Mini, which I was waiting for, for the iMac. Not only is the industrial design in another galaxy compared to the whole industry, but they've taken conscious steps to address the pro market. The display's anti-glare coating and that it's individually color-calibrated at the factory is pretty damned impressive.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Want to take advantage of updated laptops. My MBPro was 1st generation with Intel and isn't supported in Mountain Lion. Air or Pro Retina, would be happy with either because of the upgrade but not sure which I prefer. Air is all I need but Retina would be the best for text and rendering photos of cloth and clothes with clients. Was easily spoiled by new screen on phone 5 over 3, assume would be the same difference going with the Retina.

how often are you taking your laptop places? the weight of the air is untouchable

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

how often are you taking your laptop places? the weight of the air is untouchable

Laptop spends a lot of time traveling with me.

Comparing 13" models, MBA 2.97 lbs. MBP 3.57 lbs.. Not such a big difference. Top model MBA and entry 13 Retina = $200.00 difference + double the memory. Leaning towards 13" Retina

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Laptop spends a lot of time traveling with me.
Comparing 13" models, MBA 2.97 lbs. MBP 3.57 lbs.. Not such a big difference. Top model MBA and entry 13 Retina = $200.00 difference + double the memory. Leaning towards 13" Retina

i'd go retina. the screen resolution alone would be worth it for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads