• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had the phone five days now, no case, no scuffs. I do not treat my phones roughly however I do not go out of my way to baby them either.

That little tiny rattle is a bit annoying but not annoying enough for me to do anything about it. Yet.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hear something clicking around in mine as well. I figured it was part of the motion sensor? No?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best thing to do is never put your phone in the same pocket as your keys and any coins. That's just asking for scratches.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone who does that deserves to get their phone scratched.

I see a lot of women who just throw their phones in their bags with all of their other crap. Idiots. There is almost no better street Appreciation than seeing the impression of the iPhone in the back pocket of some tight skinny jeans. :inlove:

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for most people insurance is silly.

They wouldn't be selling it if they weren't making a profit on it, which means that the chance of an average person needing a replacement is less than the premiums + replacement fees that they pay. Unless you know you are someone who frequently breaks phones, you are far better off self-insuring your phone.

Insurance is for things where you would be totally fucked if they occured...Hit someone with your car and end up in a million dollar liability suit...get some rare disease and need hundreds of tests and expensive drugs...have your 75% of net worth house burn to the ground. In those situations it is perfectly to pay more for premiums than your expected loss because the worst case scenarios could leave you fucked.

Worst case scenario here is you are out a few hundred bucks for another phone on ebay.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

for most people insurance is silly.
They wouldn't be selling it if they weren't making a profit on it, which means that the chance of an average person needing a replacement is less than the premiums + replacement fees that they pay. Unless you know you are someone who frequently breaks phones, you are far better off self-insuring your phone.
Insurance is for things where you would be totally fucked if they occured...Hit someone with your car and end up in a million dollar liability suit...get some rare disease and need hundreds of tests and expensive drugs...have your 75% of net worth house burn to the ground. In those situations it is perfectly to pay more for premiums than your expected loss because the worst case scenarios could leave you fucked.
Worst case scenario here is you are out a few hundred bucks for another phone on ebay.

Insurance was $99 and if I break it twice over two years I can get a new one for $49. Retail my 64GB phone costs $849. I find this totally reasonable.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Insurance was $99 and if I break it twice over two years I can get a new one for $49. Retail my 64GB phone costs $849. I find this totally reasonable.

+1. On this thing, with these retail prices, NOT getting the insurance is stupid. The ability to walk in and walk out with a new phone the same day is unparallelled.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If your company pays for it why not get it?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1. On this thing, with these retail prices, NOT getting the insurance is stupid. The ability to walk in and walk out with a new phone the same day is unparallelled.

$99 + $49 = $148

I just explained how Apple will replace your phone, with the same model for $125, warranty/insurance or not. I have experience with this and it works at any Apple store. So unless you are planning on breaking your iPhone more then once over the two years, wouldn't you be better off without it?

I'm honestly curious here as I have considered Apple Care Plus before, but looking at it right now the numbers don't seem to add up.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

$99 + $49 = $148
I just explained how Apple will replace your phone for $125, warranty/insurance or not. So unless you are planning on breaking your iPhone more then once over the two years, wouldn't you be better off without it?
I'm honestly curious here as I have considered Apple Care Plus before, but looking at it right now the numbers don't seem to add up.

Eh? But, I can break mine twice! I can also scuff it on purpose after the buttons stop working properly and get a new one after a year or so. Basically I will make sure I break mine myself at least once to get a fresh one.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BTW, they will replace your iPad too. When I took my phone in a guy had a broken iPad with him. Apparently it was the 2nd time he had to do this. His children kept breaking them. The guy had no insurance. I forget the exact amount it cost for him to replace it, but believe it was between $200 and $250.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Eh? But, I can break mine twice! I can also scuff it on purpose after the buttons stop working properly and get a new one after a year or so. Basically I will make sure I break mine myself at least once to get a fresh one.

Do you really think you are likely to break your iPhone more then once over two years? Not trying to give your push back here, but be honest. I had the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 over four years and only broke one of them once. The iPhone 4 I mentioned with water damage.

I'm trying to see the plus side here. Seems like you might be better off putting that extra $99 into a saving account for a rainy day.

EDIT: Also, isn't breaking your phone on purpose midway through the contract, just to get a new one kind of a dick move?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BTW, I used tethering for the first time this past weekend. Worked awesome. I was surprised.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do you really think you are likely to break your iPhone more then once over two years? Not trying to give your push back here, but be honest. I had the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 over four years and only broke one of them once. The iPhone 4 I mentioned with water damage.
I'm trying to see the plus side here. Seems like you might be better off putting that extra $99 into a saving account for a rainy day.

Peace at mind. Plus, I might only break it once, but I can still go back and get a new one regardless even if I just want a fresh one. I like knowing that. My 4 the buttons started to crap out and such, it is nice knowing I can walk in and out with a new one for $49 bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads