1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

If you delete everything after html in the url you get the full article without a subscription.

2. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

How the hell do you make a phone call while in the "message" app?

edit: you apparently have to move to the top of the text message and there's a 'Call' button there. This makes more sense than being able to click the person's name and have it dial them (or bring up their contact page) because.... Apple.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

To the person you're texting? Scroll all the way up to the top for the call option. Otherwise, you have to get out of the app and into the phone app.

4. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Yeah I figured this out right before you posted. Thanks though. Really fucking stupid UI decision to have you scroll all the way to the top, but... Apple.

5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

If you tap the top bar it goes straight to the top.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Anyone having issues with wi-fi dropping out randomly? even after the 6.02 update its happening.

7. studio253

studio253 Senior member

I find this convenient for friends/family that carry multiple phones, work, personal, shady shit :) If they're texting me and I need to call them during a text I immediately know which device it is by just scrolling to the top and hitting call.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Any word on the charger extension? Just upgraded to a new desk and stock cord cannot reach :(

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

This is definitely one of the things that is much better implemented on Android. I keep trying to swipe a text to call someone. Instead you have to click on it, and then click on the top of the screen, and then click call.

Fortunately, I rarely actually call people anymore.

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

There are much better systems. Hell, dcg's example is more than adequate.

This happens to me an infuriating amount, even when I'm right next to the router.

There are much better systems. Hell, dcg's example is more than adequate.

Basically, this. An extra click to get up to the top, then extra scrolling to go all the way to the bottom AFTER the call if I want to see the last message.

--

Other things frustrating me, but may have a workaround... Why can't you just lower the volume and have it go to vibrate/silent, but you instead have to toggle "vibrate while silent" in the settings? My 10 year old phone that could barely send a text managed basic volume functionality just fine.

11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

The vibrate/silent thing bugs me too. When I'm studying/working my phone is on silent. So I use the mute switch. But if I'm on a date I like to keep my phone on vibrate, then I have to go into the setting. Fuck that.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I put my phone on vibrate while im on a date too. slip it in the front pocket and whatever happens during the actual date, I'm assured of getting at least some action

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Is there a feature or app out there that can password protect my apps after unlocking?

My kids use my phone more and more, but I dont want them looking at my email / SMS history.

Is there a solution for this anyone is aware of?

14. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Once you're at the top and want to go back down to the bottom you can tap the text box and it goes down.

iOS has some catching up to do in terms of user friendliness but personally I think it's alright. Then again I've never used Android (only played around with it on friends' phones) so maybe I don't know what I'm missing out. I think the main issue is the iphone only comes with a very basic manual so a lot of the tips and tricks you have to either play around and find for yourself or search online.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  15. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I need something that can lock my pictures and texts.

16. dcg

dcg Senior member

Photo Vault will let you put pics in a password protected folder.

1 person likes this.
  17. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I believe there's an app that lets you make protected "folders". I ran across it a while back, but wouldn't be able to tell you any more. Try searching app store for "password" or "protect", those are what I did I believe.

18. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Too much work. I need my entire picture folder to be locked by default. Not that I have anything bad on my phone but I'll take embarrassing pictures of friends of stupid stuff and don't want random people viewing this.

19. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Why are random people holding your phone?

20. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

When people ask to borrow my phone. Charity events and someone needs to make a call. Various reasons.