• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Kota. Been interested in style for quite some time. I live in kind of a fashion leper colony. (Did not mean to trigger any lepers out there) Been reading the forum since my early adventures into not being a walking disaster of my own design. Love the forum and all yal keep up the good work.
Welcome to Kota and to all of the new members on the forum.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's so much out there now for style info. Do you know about:

Articles of Style

Ask Andy About Clothes

Bespoke Edge

CircleRock

Gent's Lounge

Gentleman's Gazette

Hanger Project

He Spoke Style

Itailor

Masculine Style

Mr Porter

New England Style Consulting

One Dapper Street

Permanent Style

The Gentleman's Cove

The Kavalier

The Modest Man

The Peak Lapel

Sartorial Talks
Hello Mike, yes there's a plethora of cites out there. I'm familiar with several of those that you'd posted. Do you have any specific questions regarding these or anything else? Happy to assist you.

Defy_Delphi

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum from Seattle WA. Mainly into denim/heritage street wear--Division Road is my jam and my bankroll's downfall!
Been posting to IG for almost 2 years, but joining here to hopefully get some constructive feedback on my fits--always looking for refinement and progression of 'my style'--which is not Instagram's strong suit ("sick fit, dude" and like buttons only get you so far).

Cheers,
Kevin

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum from Seattle WA. Mainly into denim/heritage street wear--Division Road is my jam and my bankroll's downfall!
Been posting to IG for almost 2 years, but joining here to hopefully get some constructive feedback on my fits--always looking for refinement and progression of 'my style'--which is not Instagram's strong suit ("sick fit, dude" and like buttons only get you so far).

Cheers,
Kevin
Hello Kevin, happy to assist you. What questions do you have?

Defy_Delphi

Reaction score
Thanks @Sinyo18 No questions in particular, was talking about constructive criticism in regards to specific fit pics, which I'll post in the waywt discussion thread. Appreciate the welcome and willingness to help!

JamesSF

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm James. Have been reading threads for some time and glad to finally join the forum.

Still learning things and trying to figure out my own style. As the weather gets colder, I currently enjoy the idea of "wearing slacks and dress shoes with a roll neck." Sorry that I know nothing about the nomenclature--if I have to name it, Foucault style, I guess?

My pleasure to meet you all.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm James. Have been reading threads for some time and glad to finally join the forum.

Still learning things and trying to figure out my own style. As the weather gets colder, I currently enjoy the idea of "wearing slacks and dress shoes with a roll neck." Sorry that I know nothing about the nomenclature--if I have to name it, Foucault style, I guess?

My pleasure to meet you all.
James, a pleasure to have you aboard!

elwoodlondon

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Harry and with my business partner Nathan, we run Elwood London!
We are a new leather goods start up trying to finally give everyone what they want!

We're not here to advertise or market, we want to have insightful and interesting conversations about what you love, hate and want from a product.

We focus mainly on leather goods, so let us know what you want! We want to work with everyone to create something amazing!

Personally, I hate the luxury brand high prices for what is basically a decent quality item, but with a £1000 badge on it. You pay for the name, not always the quality. I spend my time in Jeans and independent brand or band t shirts, i wear a lot of check shirts and never deviate from trusty skate shoes. But don't get me wrong, i like a nice piece of luxury. Aspinal of London, Fiorelli, Hermes etc. Oh, and I'm a suckee for a good fragrance.

Nice to meet you all, speak soon!

WannabeConnery

Reaction score
Forum name chosen for fashion that inspires me (more as Bond than in Hunt For Red October...)

Middle aged ex-pat Brit in the desert. Been lurking for a while. Likely to post mainly about work wardrobe. Lover of classic British style. Style dunce. Hoping for help to solve a number of sartorial questions I have including
  1. Which collar goes best on a French cuff shirt when you're never going to button the top one, or wear a tie but will wear a suit?
  2. Is it possible for a short (5'7") stocky (165lbs) guy to wear trousers with minimal break without showing most of his shin when he sits down?

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum name chosen for fashion that inspires me (more as Bond than in Hunt For Red October...)

Middle aged ex-pat Brit in the desert. Been lurking for a while. Likely to post mainly about work wardrobe. Lover of classic British style. Style dunce. Hoping for help to solve a number of sartorial questions I have including
  1. Which collar goes best on a French cuff shirt when you're never going to button the top one, or wear a tie but will wear a suit?
  2. Is it possible for a short (5'7") stocky (165lbs) guy to wear trousers with minimal break without showing most of his shin when he sits down?
Welcome British desert lurker. As to your questions. There's pat answer to this, as there's no standard collar for a shirt fabricated with French cuffs. As with any collar, this entirely depends upon you. Specifically, choose the collar shape and lapel length which goes best with the shape of your face and the circumference of your neck. Regarding your second question, absolutely not! Well, I'll modify my answer. How would you feel if your trousers crawl up to expose your shins when sitting down? I believe that you can answer this for yourself. As with your first question, you should wear clothing that fits you well. Specifically meaning you personally and not according to a trend. Optimally the best fit possible. If this rules out trousers that you have described as having a minimal break, then so be it. Capisce?

WannabeConnery

Reaction score
Welcome British desert lurker. As to your questions. There's pat answer to this, as there's no standard collar for a shirt fabricated with French cuffs. As with any collar, this entirely depends upon you. Specifically, choose the collar shape and lapel length which goes best with the shape of your face and the circumference of your neck. Regarding your second question, absolutely not! Well, I'll modify my answer. How would you feel if your trousers crawl up to expose your shins when sitting down? I believe that you can answer this for yourself. As with your first question, you should wear clothing that fits you well. Specifically meaning you personally and not according to a trend. Optimally the best fit possible. If this rules out trousers that you have described as having a minimal break, then so be it. Capisce?
Thanks Sinyo18. Totally understood on the trousers, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't just a victim of poor tailoring and missing out on a situation where a great tailor can make the trousers look amazing both standing and sitting. As a result of this I tend to go for about a half break and socks i don't mind showing off, I'll continue to do that

On the collar, I should perhaps have been more specific with my problem - I typically wear a fairly classic collar with metal stiffeners. As the day wears on with my jacket off I often see one side of the collar (typically the button side) lie flatter than the other and it starts to look a little lopsided and scruffy. I've tried a hidden button-down (with the buttons on the underside - not sure if there is a more formal name for that) but as they normally come without the pockets for stiffeners I don't like the loss of structure. I guess if I went full bespoke I could specify stiffeners and buttons underneath but that feels like overkill. I typically wear either TM Lewin or Pink so whilst I know there are better shirts out there, it's not like these are dollar store shirts so I don't think it;'s down to shirt quality

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sinyo18. Totally understood on the trousers, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't just a victim of poor tailoring and missing out on a situation where a great tailor can make the trousers look amazing both standing and sitting. As a result of this I tend to go for about a half break and socks i don't mind showing off, I'll continue to do that

On the collar, I should perhaps have been more specific with my problem - I typically wear a fairly classic collar with metal stiffeners. As the day wears on with my jacket off I often see one side of the collar (typically the button side) lie flatter than the other and it starts to look a little lopsided and scruffy. I've tried a hidden button-down (with the buttons on the underside - not sure if there is a more formal name for that) but as they normally come without the pockets for stiffeners I don't like the loss of structure. I guess if I went full bespoke I could specify stiffeners and buttons underneath but that feels like overkill. I typically wear either TM Lewin or Pink so whilst I know there are better shirts out there, it's not like these are dollar store shirts so I don't think it;'s down to shirt quality
Hello there,
TM Lewin, Pink usually produce decent products and you're correct that there are better quality mass produced shirts out in the marketplace. I really don't have an answer as to why one lapel or top of the collar would begin to flatten out substantially more so than the opposite side. However, clothing will shuffle, flatten and wrinkle as worn throughout the day. This is completely normal. Perhaps the best that you can do to is to have your shirts starched when cleaned, and always have your dress shirts professionally laundered. As for collar stiffeners, the length and weight of said stiffeners vary, there is no standard regarding these too. Personally, I would recommend those that are sold through Kirby Alison's Hanger Project collar stays, or stiffeners if you prefer, for quality, durability and balance.

Last point on the trousers. It's not solely the break that determines how high the pant leg will ride while seated. This also has to do with the general cut of the pants, the trouser leg circumference as well as the waist. If you're sitting down or if you're already seated and your pant leg starts to creep up, exposing your shinny shin shins, then think again 007, your tailoring needs attention. Perhaps Q branch has a solution?
Seriously, I hope that this has been helpful to you.

Plough Jockey

Reaction score
Farmer from Ireland here, found my way to the site looking for info on vintage Barbour jackets. I'm mostly a jeans and T shirt guy so we'll see what happens. But I do like spending money on good shoes and boots, and hats and of course Barbour jackets. My other interests are watches and blacksmithing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads