• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Hi All. Eugene from Seattle is here. I am glad I found this place and I am joining with a hope to find some more adult style for myself. I am 46 but I still have changed nothing in my closet since I was 20 and I still wearing Abercrombie and sport brands like TNF, Stone Island, Nike, etc. I know sounds crazy for my age, bit it is true. Honestly I even have no idea how to change this situation because during the years I got really addicted to this style and can't even imagine wearing something different. Maybe somebody has an advise how to start, I appreciate any inputs. Thank you in advance.
Hi, I lived in Seattle for many years, I was born in Overlake hospital in Bellvue. Lived in Puyallup, Federal Way, Lynwood and Kirkland as well. So, I'm familiar with the area.

I'm a take the plunge and test the waters kind of guy. So, if it were me, I would depending on my budget have a bespoke or made to measure suit made and get a nice pair of whole cut shoes or cap toes so that they are of a high enough formality.

I would take my girlfriend, wife or significant other to some quite nice places giving us the occasion to dress well. Maybe to a play and dinner or a sit down concert and dinner or????

This accomplishes many things.
1. By getting a nice suite you don't just by a shirt or a pair of shoes that don't work with anything you have, wear them and feel funny because they are out of place.
You get an entire outfit and feel great, like you belong.

2. You put yourself into a higher environment and start meeting people who can get things done, create business contacts and start dreaming of what could be.

3. You quickly discover if this is for you or not. Maybe it isn't?
If not, then you have a marryin and barryin suit. If someone is getting married or buried you have a suit on the ready.

But, it if is, and I suppose it will be. You'll be bitten by the style bug and have one full great outfit to build off of.
I.E. Just wearing a dark cashmere turtleneck under your suit instead of the shirt changes the look, pair that with a cool scarf for a different look yet and just keep going.

That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Hello, I am Ciaran from Ireland. Having grown up with a father who is a complete slob despite a good education and well-paid job, I guess I eventually rebelled by becoming the most clean-cut, clothing-obsessed, and overdressed person among all my friends.

I am very visually oriented and work as an artist (the Romantic and Symbolist movements being my biggest influence), so I can greatly appreciate a sharp and well-put-together look, though I admit I am not knowledgeable on the subject of fashion and tend to be very eccentric, often, probably inappropriately, mixing various historical influences into a rather odd and eclectic personal style that breaks too many rules. I look forward to learning from everyone here and receiving their advice; I would like to better balance my personal taste with common sense so as not to seem like my choices are the result of either attention seeking or having no idea what I am doing.

I like to wear frock coats (the single-breasted notch-collar variety that buttons like a suit, not the ones you sometimes see at weddings that gape open and have no waist suppression) with a matching vest, standing or wing collar shirt, and cravat or tie, or else ventless three-button suits paired with a snug sleeveless jumper and spread collar shirt, and I am obsessed with paisley-patterned silk ties and pocket squares (the only part of my wardrobe that is not monochrome). I also have the habit of wearing calf-high lace-up derby boots under absolutely everything (they seem to pass as dress boots to the unobservant since their actual height is hidden by my slacks).
Good day Ciaran, and welcome.

If I may, I'd like to share my thoughts on what you said.

If it were me, I would not completely abandon or change my style. The world needs very cool, unique people who push the edges and make us say wow.

Plus, it's you, it's what you're drawn too. Be you!

In our sartorial world we have people who dress and live in flats that only have items from the era that they are drawn too.
I don't recall their names, but one guy who has a very cool YouTube channel that I'm subscribed to wears early 19th century clothing, has only those types of things in his house, no electricity etc.

One lady dresses in the 1950's style and lives that way too.

Guess what, I've got nothing but respect for them.

But, to broaden your range, here are a couple ways you can expand your horizons.

Follow people on Instagram who's style you really like. Watch what they wear and how they put it together. Your very visual so you'll get it, maybe even better and deeper than blogs of 2,000 words blithering on about it.

Then remember one thing. Don't follow fashion, fashion is a disgusting animal that I and many here abhor.

Instead, develop your own style.

There is a reason this is called the style forum and not the fashion forum.

Patrick

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
Hi Ciaran, there’s no harm in experimenting. It has been said that life is a grand experiment. Based on what you’ve written, you’re seeking cohesion. What I’d like to suggest is to study the basics in menswear. Learn the classics of sartorialism . What patterns & colors compliment & balance one another. The same for cloth & material. Once you really understand the basics, the why’s and the what fors, then you can begin to tweak the formulaic. If you can imagine the most eclectic , eccentric. examples of fashion icons & trendsetters you’ll begin to see that much of what they’ve done is to embellish & exaggerate certain, few elements of what I’ve described as ‘the basics’. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you, I am happy to be here! Could you recommend a good illustrated book that would teach me everything I need to know about menswear and the classics of sartorialism? Though I know what I like, I hope to remain within the realm of good taste when it comes to my eccentricities and experimentation; a "know the rules before you decide to break them" kind of approach. I do not wish to unintentionally come across as flippant with my dress sense, and for any stylistic choices in which I have no strong preference one way or another, I would rather go with what is most traditional.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
Good day Ciaran, and welcome.

If I may, I'd like to share my thoughts on what you said.

If it were me, I would not completely abandon or change my style. The world needs very cool, unique people who push the edges and make us say wow.

Plus, it's you, it's what you're drawn too. Be you!

In our sartorial world we have people who dress and live in flats that only have items from the era that they are drawn too.
I don't recall their names, but one guy who has a very cool YouTube channel that I'm subscribed to wears early 19th century clothing, has only those types of things in his house, no electricity etc.

One lady dresses in the 1950's style and lives that way too.

Guess what, I've got nothing but respect for them.

But, to broaden your range, here are a couple ways you can expand your horizons.

Follow people on Instagram who's style you really like. Watch what they wear and how they put it together. Your very visual so you'll get it, maybe even better and deeper than blogs of 2,000 words blithering on about it.

Then remember one thing. Don't follow fashion, fashion is a disgusting animal that I and many here abhor.

Instead, develop your own style.

There is a reason this is called the style forum and not the fashion forum.

Patrick

Thank you! It is not my intention to completely abandon my style; there are aspects of what I like to wear that I will not change; however, when it comes to things that I have no strong preference for one way or another, I would like to know what is most traditional and appropriately matched to the rest of my wardrobe.

I would love recommendations of men who dress in authentic historical styles; I usually only come across women. Zack Pinsent is the only person I am currently aware of (and he is amazing), but he wears Regency-era clothing, which is not to my taste (I would be interested in Victorian, Baroque, and Medieval north-western European styles). Heh, period living sounds right down my alley too; guests are always bemused by the fact that I do not use lightbulbs.

Pardon my ignorance, but how should one go about finding stylish people on Instagram? I am afraid that I am not on any sort of social media platform. Apart from my laptop, which I need for my work and other things, I am actually rather a technophobe; it took years of pestering before I relented and allowed my friends to even buy me a phone (and I still hate them). Also, are there any historical clothing forums that people know of? The Vintage Fashion Guild is the only one I found.

Thank you for the good advice.

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about it too much if you’re just cosplaying.

I am not cosplaying. Edit - I probably should have specified, when asking for a book recommendation, I meant for general menswear, not historical menswear (though I would be interested in that too).

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not cosplaying.
My mistake. I must have misunderstood this bit.

I would love recommendations of men who dress in authentic historical styles; I usually only come across women. Zack Pinsent is the only person I am currently aware of (and he is amazing), but he wears Regency-era clothing, which is not to my taste (I would be interested in Victorian, Baroque, and Medieval north-western European styles). Heh, period living sounds right down my alley too; guests are always bemused by the fact that I do not use lightbulbs.

….Also, are there any historical clothing forums that people know of? The Vintage Fashion Guild is the only one I found.

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
My mistake. I must have misunderstood this bit.

That is quite alright, I was not very clear; I like to wear historical-inspired menswear, but I also wear modern menswear, and sometimes I mix it up. So, a good book on modern menswear would be quite helpful.

Edit - The historical clothing is not worn as a costume, it is just the style I am drawn to and feel most comfortable wearing, but modern sartorial advice would not go amiss in helping me tone it down a bit, stand out less, and not come across as silly.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is quite alright, I was not very clear; I like to wear historical inspired menswear, but I also wear modern menswear, and sometimes I mix it up. So, a good book on modern menswear would be quite helpful.
I’m not sure there’s “a” book - Some that may have some things that would be helpful would be Dressing the Man, Bespoke Style, Parisian Gentleman, The Italian Gentleman, Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion, Bespoke Menswear: Tailoring for Gentlemen.

I’d do Dressing the Man, Bespoke Style and Italian Gentleman as the first ones personally.

ConservativEccentric

Reaction score
I’m not sure there’s “a” book - Some that may have some things that would be helpful would be Dressing the Man, Bespoke Style, Parisian Gentleman, The Italian Gentleman, Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion, Bespoke Menswear: Tailoring for Gentlemen.

I’d do Dressing the Man, Bespoke Style and Italian Gentleman as the first ones personally.

Thank you, I'll see if I can get my hands on those.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Thank you! It is not my intention to completely abandon my style; there are aspects of what I like to wear that I will not change; however, when it comes to things that I have no strong preference for one way or another, I would like to know what is most traditional and appropriately matched to the rest of my wardrobe.

Pardon my ignorance, but how should one go about finding stylish people on Instagram? I am afraid that I am not on any sort of social media platform. Apart from my laptop, which I need for my work and other things, I am actually rather a technophobe; it took years of pestering before I relented and allowed my friends to even buy me a phone (and I still hate them). Also, are there any historical clothing forums that people know of? The Vintage Fashion Guild is the only one I found.

Good day,

You're welcome.

To help answer your questions as best I can I'll number them below.

1. The best period guy on YouTube in my opinion is Vintage Bursche Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/@vintagebursche

I really like his videos, very informative.

Then, in my opinion two of the best channels out there are The Gentleman's Gazette and Sartorial Talks. Both really good but for different reasons as you'll see.
Here are their channels:

2. Instagram:
The best way I've found is to find a channel that you like such as this one that I like:

Follow them. Then click on following (It will say following and a number which is the number of people they follow). Click it and browse who they are following.

Follow those people and browse who they are following.

In most cases you'll come across some really good stuff.

I hope that helps.

Patrick

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I am happy to be here! Could you recommend a good illustrated book that would teach me everything I need to know about menswear and the classics of sartorialism? Though I know what I like, I hope to remain within the realm of good taste when it comes to my eccentricities and experimentation; a "know the rules before you decide to break them" kind of approach. I do not wish to unintentionally come across as flippant with my dress sense, and for any stylistic choices in which I have no strong preference one way or another, I would rather go with what is most traditional.
I recommend to begin reading books by Alan Flusser and get a sense of classic modern sartorialism. Look up Hugo Jacomet, his books & subscribe to his YouTube channel.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am Ciaran from Ireland. Having grown up with a father who is a complete slob despite a good education and well-paid job, I guess I eventually rebelled by becoming the most clean-cut, clothing-obsessed, and overdressed person among all my friends.

I am very visually oriented and work as an artist (the Romantic and Symbolist movements being my biggest influence), so I can greatly appreciate a sharp and well-put-together look, though I admit I am not knowledgeable on the subject of fashion and tend to be very eccentric, often, probably inappropriately, mixing various historical influences into a rather odd and eclectic personal style that breaks too many rules. I look forward to learning from everyone here and receiving their advice; I would like to better balance my personal taste with common sense so as not to seem like my choices are the result of either attention seeking or having no idea what I am doing.

I like to wear frock coats (the single-breasted notch-collar variety that buttons like a suit, not the ones you sometimes see at weddings that gape open and have no waist suppression) with a matching vest, standing or wing collar shirt, and cravat or tie, or else ventless three-button suits paired with a snug sleeveless jumper and spread collar shirt, and I am obsessed with paisley-patterned silk ties and pocket squares (the only part of my wardrobe that is not monochrome). I also have the habit of wearing calf-high lace-up derby boots under absolutely everything (they seem to pass as dress boots to the unobservant since their actual height is hidden by my slacks).
Try Bruce Boyer - he is very stylish and knowlegeable without being overly prescriptive or dogmatic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads