• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im Carlos and new to classical menswear. Within the last year my work has taken me much more client facing with a good bit more travel. I began with hopes of a capsule wardrobe of quality items and it has progressed from there. As such I have begun to delve into knowledge on traditional style and how to properly wear it. Im in my late 30’s and did not grow up with knowledge on the subject so I am late to the game. Luckily I married into a family with more means and classical style so I am learning. I have a several off the rack suits and sport coats that I use. I lean to the quite thrifty side for deals and even second hands and I upgrade my wardrobe. Looking to develop further so I'm open to all advice or thread recommendations that can help.
Thanks
Hi Carlos, it’s never too late to learn. You’ve discovered that you’re endeavoring to know more sartorially. My suggestion is give this forum & the many discussion threads within a good look over. If you have specific questions, I’m always willing to assist. Welcome to our forum!

kurtisdoubleu

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m Kurtis! I used to have an account on here back in the day, but had a love/hate relationship with the menswear world (people were so elitist about their opinions) so I deleted it. I have decided to give it another go!

My style is always evolving, but I would say it’s rooted in anglo-trad. I’m a firm believer in knowing the rules first in order to break them and breaking them to be edgy isn’t really all that edgy. That being said, I truly appreciate individuals that are unapologetically themselves in their style/personality, even if it isn’t my taste.

I’ve always been the person to chase the dragon that is clothing/footwear. I would obsess about pieces all the time. I would need to purchase an item daily to chase the high. What used to last days after purchasing something only now lasts minutes to seconds. I suppose I am looking to get that feeling back somehow. In continuing my chase I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a long-standing menswear shop outside of Detroit during covid. Fortunately we have been doing extremely well, just like the rest of the similar specialty stores are.

I am hoping to gain some knowledge and share some as well. I also hope to reconnect with some people from the past and meet some new cats as too!

Cheers!
-Kurtis

P.S. I have about an extra 20 pair of Aldens too many, so I’ll hopefully start to post them soon if anyone is interested.

Fashion Surplus

Reaction score
Occasional lurker, first time poster. A bit of a purist.

Thanks for maintaining this old-school, non-reddit resource

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m Kurtis! I used to have an account on here back in the day, but had a love/hate relationship with the menswear world (people were so elitist about their opinions) so I deleted it. I have decided to give it another go!

My style is always evolving, but I would say it’s rooted in anglo-trad. I’m a firm believer in knowing the rules first in order to break them and breaking them to be edgy isn’t really all that edgy. That being said, I truly appreciate individuals that are unapologetically themselves in their style/personality, even if it isn’t my taste.

I’ve always been the person to chase the dragon that is clothing/footwear. I would obsess about pieces all the time. I would need to purchase an item daily to chase the high. What used to last days after purchasing something only now lasts minutes to seconds. I suppose I am looking to get that feeling back somehow. In continuing my chase I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a long-standing menswear shop outside of Detroit during covid. Fortunately we have been doing extremely well, just like the rest of the similar specialty stores are.

I am hoping to gain some knowledge and share some as well. I also hope to reconnect with some people from the past and meet some new cats as too!

Cheers!
-Kurtis

P.S. I have about an extra 20 pair of Aldens too many, so I’ll hopefully start to post them soon if anyone is interested.
Hello Kurtis, welcome back!

Heykal

Reaction score
Hi, I am a middle-aged male living in Paris (France) and working in the tech field. Dressing well is one of my pleasures.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a middle-aged male living in Paris (France) and working in the tech field. Dressing well is one of my pleasures.
Hello Heykal, I hope that you find this site of value. From time to time our opinions may vary. However, beyond this & the superficial we tend to be fairly agreeable folks. Welcome to the forum!

Teeay

Reaction score
Hello! I've always cared somewhat about my clothes and general presentation, but in the past few years finally got a tad smarter about getting the most value for my dollar. For me, this meant going from sale hunting on J. Crew or Everlane to shopping sparingly on Matches Fashion/Far Fetch/etc. and putting in the time to comb through places like Yoox /poshmark/ebay for good items, then read some Bruce Boyer and articles on Put This On so I had a better handle on building out a classic wardrobe and brands/materials to trust. I'm at the stage (mid-30s, DINK) where I can take some time, and have some money, to make considered purchases, so I'm hoping to hop on here on occasion to get good advice. Style-wise I saw the phrase "refined casualwear" and that seems about right. Not trying to stick out or amass too large a closet. Live in Washington D.C.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've always cared somewhat about my clothes and general presentation, but in the past few years finally got a tad smarter about getting the most value for my dollar. For me, this meant going from sale hunting on J. Crew or Everlane to shopping sparingly on Matches Fashion/Far Fetch/etc. and putting in the time to comb through places like Yoox /poshmark/ebay for good items, then read some Bruce Boyer and articles on Put This On so I had a better handle on building out a classic wardrobe and brands/materials to trust. I'm at the stage (mid-30s, DINK) where I can take some time, and have some money, to make considered purchases, so I'm hoping to hop on here on occasion to get good advice. Style-wise I saw the phrase "refined casualwear" and that seems about right. Not trying to stick out or amass too large a closet. Live in Washington D.C.
Hi Teeay, it appears that you have a sensible approach. Take your time while canvassing the forum, I’m sure that you’ll find suggestions that appeal to you. Welcome!

Heykal

Reaction score
Hello Heykal, I hope that you find this site of value. From time to time our opinions may vary. However, beyond this & the superficial we tend to be fairly agreeable folks. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you :)

Mojo007

Reaction score
Good Afternoon friends at Style Forum,

My name is Muratab Shah, but everyone calls me Mojo. I recently collaborated with Brenton & Co. in Downtown Toronto, where we make Bespoke suits for men and women, all here on site in Toronto. I, myself, am a Style Consultant, and I help individuals look and feel their very best. Whether you want to climb that proverbial Corporate Ladder, or just wish to make an Impression on you wedding day, I work closely with you to achieve you desired result.

Don't hesitate to reach out to me to ask any questions, and remember, there are no silly questions.

Have a wonderful day.

Thank you!

just_one_more

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just_one_more

I live in Chicago. I'm into tailored clothing, selvidge denim, leather boots and jackets, and wristwatches. I also enjoy chess, poker, crossword puzzles, restaurants, and bicycle riding. I work in technology. If you have good forum resources for these topics, I'd love to check them out!

I have an upcoming summer wedding so I'm thinking of getting my first linen or linen blended suit. I have a $1k giftcard for Balani MTM suits in Chicago, so I'm thinking of contributing that for this purpose. I've struggled to find out more about linen suiting, that's part of why I joined. I'm looking for good inspiration, do's and don'ts (if it's hot outside, why wear a double breasted jacket??) and anything else you might think I'd find interesting given this post.

Have a nice day

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just_one_more

I live in Chicago. I'm into tailored clothing, selvidge denim, leather boots and jackets, and wristwatches. I also enjoy chess, poker, crossword puzzles, restaurants, and bicycle riding. I work in technology. If you have good forum resources for these topics, I'd love to check them out!

I have an upcoming summer wedding so I'm thinking of getting my first linen or linen blended suit. I have a $1k giftcard for Balani MTM suits in Chicago, so I'm thinking of contributing that for this purpose. I've struggled to find out more about linen suiting, that's part of why I joined. I'm looking for good inspiration, do's and don'ts (if it's hot outside, why wear a double breasted jacket??) and anything else you might think I'd find interesting given this post.

Have a nice day
Hello, one of the drawbacks for me with regards to linen is the wrinkling. I live in hot & sometimes very humid climates. On such a day you can expect to look like a well tailored Shar Pei. If you insist on linen at least consider a linen blend fabric. Take your time & search our forum, you might find ‘suitable’ information regarding linen, linen blends, and alternatives. Welcome to the forum!

just_one_more

Reaction score
Hello, one of the drawbacks for me with regards to linen is the wrinkling. I live in hot & sometimes very humid climates. On such a day you can expect to look like a well tailored Shar Pei. If you insist on linen at least consider a linen blend fabric. Take your time & search our forum, you might find ‘suitable’ information regarding linen, linen blends, and alternatives. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! What do you recommend for a summer wedding, then? The temperature will probably be around 77F/ 25C and moderately humid. Part of the event will be outdoors uncovered I believe.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! What do you recommend for a summer wedding, then? The temperature will probably be around 77F/ 25C and moderately humid. Part of the event will be outdoors uncovered I believe.
My personal choice would be a super fine light weight wool suit.Very comfortable & far less wrinkles. A seersucker suit is fine, if you like that look, or my lesser preference would be a wool/cotton blend suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads