• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview dilemma

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I'm scheduled for a final round interview for another job in another city the week after New Years. I didn't think it would be a problem to take the day off work as long as I gave one of the VPs a heads-up that I'd be taking the day off (they obviously don't know I'm interviewing elsewhere). He said okay, as long as my work is covered off. Problem is, a couple other junior-to-mid-level people are out that week and, to be honest, my work is not reasonably covered off (it can only be done that day). We're supposed to discuss tomorrow morning but I feel it will be hard for me to spin it and my worry is they won't even give me the day off. The only other day I can interview is the Monday after New Years, but not everyone at my prospective new firm will be around and I feel interviewing on that day will put me at a disadvantage.

Any advice? I've been thinking outlandish lies that are too wild/sensitive not to be believed might be the only way to go (family member dying of ____, brother's gay wedding, etc...).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Since you've already asked for the day off, some outlandish lie on or just before the date is going to ring obviously false. It probably would anyway. And let's say you got the job. You go from "my family member is dying" to "hey guys, I've got another job lined up. Here's my notice." Do you really have such a low opinion of your bosses' intelligence that you don't think they would connect the dots? How do you think that will look in the long run? Your reputation follows you around, no matter where you go. Do your best to keep it clean and beyond scrutiny. You do not want to burn your bridges on your way out the door.

caps

Reaction score
Why do you think interviewing on Monday will put you at a disadvantage? Unless someone involved in the interview won't be able to make it I don't see why it would be a problem.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Option 1: Schedule interview with potential firm for other day (when other key people will be around), holiday season isn't good time for interviews anyways.Don't see any reason they would decline or think any less of you if they think you are good.
Option 2: Go ahead and interview on Monday but I do agree that absence of key people may have a negative result on the outcome (happened to me once).

I wouldn't make up a lie for a job that I don't have yet.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I agree with forex's #1 option. Reschedule.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Option 1: Schedule interview with potential firm for other day (when other key people will be around), holiday season isn't good time for interviews anyways.Don't see any reason they would decline or think any less of you if they think you are good.

I agree this would be optimal but I think they want all the interviews done that week. And seeing as how I already asked for the day off (with possibly no success), even if I could do the interview the following week, I'd have to ask again for a day off since the interview is in another city.

This is just really frustrating since taking a day off has never been a problem; heck, I don't even think my vacation days have ever been logged against my allowance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads