• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting article

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice article Andrew. The shoes in the picture are quite nice, with a Cleverley like toe., are these new models? They don't look quite the same as the new models (U lasted) as you posted awhile back. Sooner or later I will have to make my way there and look at the new styles, these are definitely more up my alley compared to his standard "budapester" shaped shoes with a high toe box. At the price you have quoted, it is a LOT LOT less than what I pay for bespokes. How is the food there though? Some friends who vacationed in Hungary came back sick of tomato sauces and meat, and too much cabbage and potatos.. (I love to eat
biggrin.gif
and usually combine holidaying with good food - that is why I travel to Italy a lot..). One question though: since Vass is very experienced with making his type of shoes, how is he when making another type such as those new models displayed? I know that a bespoke shoemaker CAN make any type of shoe, but the experience that comes over time making the same type of shoe must count for something? Or am I just being daft?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr. Vass is currently working on several new lasts that are of a more English sensibility. One is going to be offered for sure - it reminds me a lot of the Edward Green 202 last. It has the beveled waist and looks very sleek, but is reputed to be extremely comfortable anyhow. It seems that these new lasts are a modification of the very asymmetrical banana last, that probably accounts for the comfort.

He developed another with more of a chisel toe (but less so than the U last) which he is not sure that he will offer. We are showing it around to see how people like it. I should have my samples of these new shoes in a couple of weeks, at which point I will post pics on the forum.

I'm sure you will be able to order made-to-measure shoes based on these new last shapes.

The food I had in Budapest was the best I've had anywhere. I had a local taking me to dinner every night, perhaps that was the difference. I particularly enjoyed my last dinner there which was at a fabulous Greek restaurant. Appetizers, several rounds of drinks, dinner and desert was under $100 for five of us. I'd say a comparable meal would easily run $500 or more in the States.

You should go.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good.  I will definitely go, if not this year then most likely the year after.

If my memory serves me correctly, there is also a pretty famous sight there, a salt mine but inside there is a church carved out of pure salt... the pictures that I have seen of it is truely something to behold.  That alone may make the trip worthwhile

As for the shoes in the article, are those current models or are they prototypes? As I mentioned before, they are very very reminiscent of Cleverley and my Parisian Lobbs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads