• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiration required

ajay72

Reaction score
I need a suit to get married in.

I'm going to have one made for me but lack any inate stylishness (I know, very sad isn't it? I have to look at pictures and copy other people's ideas). So, I'm looking for some inspiration on the suit front. I don't want a business suit, I want something that poeple are going to say "wow" too - in a nice complimentary way!

I've spent months looking through google images, esquire, GQ. To be honest most of what I've seen is the usual dark blue/grey/black pinstripe. Can you suggest a designer, a celebrity, anyone who wears stunning suits, that are a little bit different so that I can look through some images and pick out a few to show to a tailor?

Many thanks to you stylish people, from one who is not!!!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Tom Ford.

But the reason you see so many in dark grey is because it works. I bought a grey isaia suit for my wedding. Looks great and Ill get some use out of it after the wedding. Initially I wanted a Tom Ford with peak lapels, but couldnt find anything in my size in my price range. Got lucky and found an Isaia for a great price.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
If you want a suit that doesn't look like a business suit, are having it made, and want it to look stylish and have people say a complimentary "Wow!", then consider the morning coat suit in the first attachment. Fitted better than William's, as on the groom's in the second attachment, it'd look splendid. If you want it to be a lounge suit you could use again frequently, consider one in gray with a peaked-lapel jacket and a double breasted waistcoat, as on the man on the right in the third attachment. For another view of such a waistcoat, check out the fourth attachment.

Finally, the third attachment is pulled from an excellent guide to wedding attire, which has lots of illustrations of similar suits, both morning coat and lounge. It's worth checking out.

P. S. www.blacktieguide.com, from which the second image was taken, also has a nice collection of images of formal daywear, with discussion of how to wear it.

ajay72

Reaction score
Many thanks for both responses. I perhapsd should have mentioned that it is not a formal wedding and so I might look a bit odd turningup in a morning suit. The Tom Ford stuff was great, it at least gives me something to show my tailor.

Thanks again

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three piece, on the light side of medium gray, with a subtle glen plaid.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade, but a wedding day is about your bride, not you. You are an accessory to her dress. Just make sure whatever you wear has a sharp cut to it and you'll be fine.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh sure, I suppose after the wedding she'll be relegated to the kitchen and expected to make babies as needed... (those two not connected). weddings involve two people, both of whom's wishes should be respected.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blue plaid
inlove.gif

6stringsakc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajay72
To be honest most of what I've seen is the usual dark blue/grey/black pinstripe. Can you suggest a designer, a celebrity, anyone who wears stunning suits, that are a little bit different so that I can look through some images and pick out a few to show to a tailor?

Many thanks to you stylish people, from one who is not!!!

You don't want to wow them with an unusual or gaudy color, or pattern. Wow them with a great cut, fit, and confidence. No problem with a "standard" color suit. Get it expertly tailored, coordinate your shirt, tie, and accessories, and it'll be wow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads