• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Nguyenning

Reaction score
Does the lapel on the essential suits look really short to anyone else? I swear I've seen pics of them longer (did they change the suit up?)... what would I say or customize in my build to ensure they're longer? The ones in the pic on their site just seem way too short. First pic is their current model and second pic is a review I found online of the indochino essential gray as well... notice the lapels look very different

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the lapel on the essential suits look really short to anyone else? I swear I've seen pics of them longer (did they change the suit up?)... what would I say or customize in my build to ensure they're longer? The ones in the pic on their site just seem way too short. First pic is their current model and second pic is a review I found online of the indochino essential gray as well... notice the lapels look very different

The reason I think the lapel looks short is because either it's a 3 button, or the button stance is just really high. You can specify how high or how low you want your button stance to be.

Nguyenning

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks guys!

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? In general on a 2 button suit, is correct button stance to have the top button right above your belly button and the bottom button be right at the waist?

jqmartin

Reaction score
I'v never ordered a custom suit, but I plan to soon and I've been researching the heck our of all sorts of specific things like proper button stance.

For me, I think proper button stance would be directly in line with my "natural waist" AKA the thinnest part of my torso (you have to be "thin" person for that part of your body to actually be the "thinnest" part)

This point falls about 1" to maybe 1.5" above my belly button. It also happens to be in line with my elbows when my arms are hanging straight down. I am 5'7.5"

Dunno if this is the same for everyone.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks guys!

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? In general on a 2 button suit, is correct button stance to have the top button right above your belly button and the bottom button be right at the waist?

For me, I ask for 1.5 inches above my belly button. I give them the measurement. I'm 5'8". Go try on some suits at the mall to see where would you like your first button to be.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

Gotcha, thanks guys!

I'm 6'1. I like to have the top button no more than .5" above my belly button.

Deltemis

Reaction score
i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a suit really soon since I still have their vente-privee deal earlier in july

since this'll be my first suit ever i'm thinking on getting the essential navy, either a solid white or pink shirt, and either the purple or maroon tie
would that actually be a good mix n' match of suit, shirt, and tie?

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a suit really soon since I still have their vente-privee deal earlier in july

since this'll be my first suit ever i'm thinking on getting the essential navy, either a solid white or pink shirt, and either the purple or maroon tie
would that actually be a good mix n' match of suit, shirt, and tie? 

Navy suit, white shirt and maroon tie is good. Maybe go with a sky blue shirt?

Here's a hint though, make sure you KNOW your measurements. Take your time. A lot of the **** suits in this thread came about because people have no idea how to measure themselves. Also, unless you are 5'8 and under, ask them to lower the button stance by an inch. I've also tended to notice that they run their shoulders quite big so I take .75" off my actual measurements.

Last edited:

Deltemis

Reaction score
Navy suit, white shirt and maroon tie is good. Maybe go with a sky blue shirt?
Here's a hint though, make sure you KNOW your measurements. Take your time. A lot of the **** suits in this thread came about because people have no idea how to measure themselves. Also, unless you are 5'8 and under, ask them to lower the button stance by an inch. I've also tended to notice that they run their shoulders quite big so I take .75" off my actual measurements.

Thanks for the advice, I tried adding light blue shirt but it's sold out so I guess I'll just stick with the white one

Also I am 5'8 but after seeing others' suits and comparing their height to button stance, I think I'll try lowering mine .5 or .75" once I submit my order, and thanks for the shoulder tip by the way, I accounted for that in my measurements, anybody have anything else to offer before I buy?

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
^ Make sure your jacket length is around 30". Other than that go for it. Tell them to lower the button stance by .75" to be safe.

whitecollar

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently received my Indochino Essential Black Suit and was hoping I could get some opinions and advice from experts. First off, I just discovered this site and thread well after I ordered my suit, and had I seen it before ordering I may have thought twice about buying the suit. The reason why I went with Indochino is because I am on a very tight budget right now and needed a suit for an upcoming event and I was able to get the suit, a navy shirt, and tie for $320. I am not a suit expert or fashion expert for that matter, but this suit definitely fits better than off the rack suits I've bought in the past. The pants are a little bit tight around the thighs, but that seems to be a common issue with Indochino. I know that some of you will want to rip me apart for buying an Indochino suit but please understand that I felt this was the best option for me at the time given the circumstances. Anyway on to the pictures. The suit is quite wrinkled from shipment, but I do plan on getting it pressed unless you guys advise otherwise.Thank you in advance!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone ever use their in person "traveling tailor" measurements?

They will be here in Chicago next week and since I tend to be kind of hard to fit, this might be a nice way to pick up a cotton khaki suit that actually fits (since most of the cheap options that come up every year are cut too slim in the chest for me).

They have the Voyager Tan cotton/silk suit...its pictures are maybe a little darker than I'd like but this might be a decent deal.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Make sure your jacket length is around 30". Other than that go for it. Tell them to lower the button stance by .75" to be safe.

+1

If you are around the height of 5'8", make sure your jacket length is <30 inches, other wise, it will make your legs look really short. I prefer my jacket to be around 28 - 29 inches. I'm 5'8".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads