• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In need of help

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I am 20, and in my junior year of college. I also work a fulltime 50-60 hr a week job. I need to lose weight badly.

When I was in HS, I was in Cross Country (16:30 club, I might add), played soccer in HS & 1 yr of college, and played basketball. At my best weight I was 5'11", 175, at 12% body fat.

Now, I've let myself slowly get far far overweight. I used to have acid reflux, and would throw up after every meal (in a completely non-intentional way, so i'm not bulimic or anorexic) and i got on prescription to end that. I started to gain weight after i lost my acid reflux b/c i was still eating as much but wasn't throwing up every day.
After i got done playing soccer my freshman year, i kind of stopped working out. My whole life i'd been in shape and pretty cut, and now it's ridiculous the shape i'm in.

I am now 5'11" and weigh in at 240. Please don't post comments just telilng me how **** and worthless I am, because that doesn't help anything and makes you look like an asshole.

I realize that what I need is a full lifestyle change, but it is hard for me, because I work 50-60 hours a week, and then i come home and do homework for most of the night (studying a double major in poli sci and business mgment, with a double minor in history and english).

Like I said, I need help. I don't necesarrily need to have a 6 pack or anything, and i don't want some 4 week diet plan, i need some solid advice for how to make a lifestyle change that will help me become more healthy, lose weight, and become a better person.

Thanks so much SF'ers, i know you'll come through for me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut out all sugar from your diet (no soda, no fruit juice, no sugar in your coffee). Do lots of cardio. Given your schedule, I recommend 45 minutes on a stairmaster/treadmill/elliptical machine first thing in the morning after you wake up.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yep, AC has it about right. Obviously, we know nothing about your current diet. But assuming you're eating a normal college student crappy diet, you can actually make a big difference just by systematically substituting healthier choices into your diet -- chicken or turkey instead of beef, pass up cheese and mayo on your sandwich, fruit instead ice cream for dessert, etc. Pretty soon, those healthier choices become automatic and don't even feel like "sacrifices". Making sure you get a moderate amount of cardio -- even if you can't do 45 minutes every day -- helps a lot. I'd add in some push-ups and crunches as well, but the main thing is to remember that every little bit helps, so do what you can rather than just throwing in the towel if at first it's hard to consistently stick to the guidelines you set for yourself.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like your schedule is killing you, so I'd suggest establishing an eating routine. Have meals at the same times each day, even if they're unconventional times. Train your body to eat when it's time to eat, and avoid grazing all day long.

As an added benefit, you may find that having a meal routine is comforting, in that it makes life seem a little less frenzied.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Don't drink alcohol.

haha i've never drank alcohol. Even if I wanted to, I don't think i'd be able to find the time to drink.

Do you guys know of any ellipticals that are relatively cheap? eg less than $500?

btw, thanks for the advice guys, this is already great to get me started on!

Taxler

Reaction score
Your schedule doesn't get any easier as you get older, so you need to develope good eating habbits and find time for the exercise. Any time I get off track with my diet, I force myself to stick to a preset menu- know what you're going to eat and when. If I know I'll be busy all day, I get up an hour earlier and work in some cardio.

tthornell

Reaction score
I will echo another member. Train oyurself not to graze all the time. Before you eat a handful of something, ask yourself if you are hungry or just bored. As far as training yourself, practice practice practice until it becomes a habit to just eat at meal time.

As far as cheap exercise, nothing beats good ole running, or if you can't get outside, up downs. Just like in your high school atheltics days, hit the deck, and return to the standing position 20 times. Work up to 10 sets. I am in the Coast Guard and am underway for half of the year. This keeps me in shape when I can't run. Give it a try.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
haha i've never drank alcohol. Even if I wanted to, I don't think i'd be able to find the time to drink.

Do you guys know of any ellipticals that are relatively cheap? eg less than $500?

btw, thanks for the advice guys, this is already great to get me started on!

Keep your eyes on the Sporting goods Store ads. This time of year they go on super sales. My mom just picked up a pretty nice Elliptical machine (one of the bigger brands, cant remember) from our local Sports Authority for $300, which was like 50% off.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These posts are great suggestions that will certainly help, but I can't help but think that with your lifestyle you shouldn't really expect to be in shape. With going to school fulltime plus working overtime you should be happy just to be not getting worse.
confused.gif
I think it's reasonable if you run a health deficit in the winter and try to make up for it in the summer.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You can definately work out compulsively while in college, I did it 5 nights a week. Though, it's important to recognize that this schedule is only for people who don't study.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're going to college, use the gym on campus like everyone else. It'll be cheaper if the fees are already built into your tuition, and the equipment is better.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to start off you should try and eat 5-6 small meals a day. this way your metabolism will be constantly working burning off smaller amounts, then having to be forced to burn off huge amounts in lets say 3 big meals. its like throwing meat in a grinder, if you do it small amounts at a time, it comes out quick and clean, you throw in too much, it gets jammed. eat healthy, and drink lots of water. water also helps put off food cravings, and makes you feel more full. i box so im going through the process of loosing weight right now to make a weight class, and im doing it relatively easily.(i also have time to work out and dont work like you do). have a cup of water before ever meal, it will help you feel more full and not want to eat right after you just ate. dont eat 3 hours before bed etc. sometimes if im hungry and its late at night or something or at a time when i shouldnt really be eating a meal i just eat stuff like pickles, because it really does nothing for you and will go right through you, but does make you feel more full and the feeling you just ate something. hope that somewhat helps.

jaustin

Reaction score
I realize that what I need is a full lifestyle change, but it is hard for me, because I work 50-60 hours a week, and then i come home and do homework for most of the night (studying a double major in poli sci and business mgment, with a double minor in history and english).

How many years do you plan on being in school? For the love of God, please don't say 4, you might have a heart attack before you turn 22.

Yaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Cut out all sugar from your diet (no soda, no fruit juice, no sugar in your coffee). Do lots of cardio. Given your schedule, I recommend 45 minutes on a stairmaster/treadmill/elliptical machine first thing in the morning after you wake up.

In addition to this try to stay away from white rice and anything with bleached or processed flour (ie white bread, croissants, rolls, etc). If you must have bread look for something less refined such as pumpernickel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads