• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'iGent Myths Busted!'

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

The Thin Man

Reaction score

More my speed.

Two books titled "Bespoke" about Savile Row: Richard Anderson's insider account and James Sherwood's illustrated history. If you decide to write a book about your own experiences with Savile Row, I can think of a good title for you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two books titled "Bespoke" about Savile Row: Richard Anderson's insider account and James Sherwood's illustrated history. If you decide to write a book about your own experiences with Savile Row, I can think of a good title for you.
Thanks Thin Man. I'll look for the Sherwood book. Richard sent me a copy of his.

Lovelace

Reaction score

The resistance to black suits predates the Internet. I tried to get Anderson & Sheppard to make a black funeral suit back in the late 70s. They insisted it be charcoal.

That said, just this week I was standing on line and the person in front of me was wearing a truly beautiful black suit. Not one of the dead black variety that are so common. This one was quite alive.

Black suits are an interesting one. They are seen as too severe for day wear these days. De rigueur in days of yore.

Its also a colour of cloth that benefits from a bit of sheen or finish. It can look a bit dingy without. Mohair in black is beautiful for example. Faille is another cloth that works well in Black.

I see it as a cloth best suited to a more fashionable look these days.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the A&S vanity book as well.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

...GBR, arguably the worst poster in the history of Style Forum.

Manton, I just want to say that when I read the above post, I felt a great sense of relief come over me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its also a colour of cloth that benefits from a bit of sheen or finish. It can look a bit dingy without.
That is precisely why I liked the particuarl suit I mentioned.

I see it as a cloth best suited to a more fashionable look these days.
Agreed ... and I've come to realize that has its place. My Richard Anderson diagonal pinstripe (on black) serves that purpose for me.

Last edited:

Lovelace

Reaction score

That is precisely why I liked the particuarly suit I mentioned.
Agreed ... and I've come to realize that has its place. My Richard Anderson diagonal pinstripe (on black) serves that purpose for me.

Another problem with black is that whilst its easy to accesorise, its very limited.

You can't move much beyond a monochrome look.

Which in certain circumstances can look good. Out clubbing and the like.

Diagonal pinstripe?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been posted -- and dished -- before. It's something I'm comfortable wearing for an evening out in San Francisco, New Orleans, and New York. But not in ... say ... Jackson, Mississippi.

Okay ... here goes:

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of Bayer asperin tablets should do the trick.

But I tell ya, once I had a few hundred bespoke suits / odd jackets under my belt, I decided to go out on a limb and take a few chances. I'm glad I did with this one.

Last edited:

bertie

Reaction score

A couple of Bayer asperin tablets should do the trick.

But I tell ya, once I had a few hundred bespoke suits / odd jackets under my belt, I decided to go out on a limb and take a few chances. I'm glad I did with this one.

You rebel - most sane people wait until they have least 500 bespoke items before they get crazy:)

Maybe you can share with us an example you are not glad you went out on a limb with?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads