• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Hmmm, disappointing to see another Greek come up with such provincial statements.

By the way, I live in Michigan, and I guess I sort of indirectly sell insurance . . . shall we have my accountant talk to yours? ;-)

I do believe that people like to see their lawyer, or their doctor, or even their "insurance salesman" be successful, although not too successful.

By the way, "villa" doesn't necessarily connote an expensive house, but that being said, $200K doesn't buy you much in Michigan . . . not much more than it would buy you in suburban New York, although we pay higher property taxes here than you do.

+1. I live in Indiana, not much unlike Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan, and 200k won't get you a mansion here, any more than anywhere else. Granted, you're not going to be in the ghetto or anything, but my neighborhood is full of $175-350k houses, and while it's nothing to shake a finger at, we're not living decadently in a "villa" either.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I was recently trying to lure a young lawyer back home from a large NYC law firm, and one of the interesting things he mentioned after doing his due diligence was that while salaries in Michigan were nearly half as much as in New York, the cost of living wasn't as similarly discounted, so he'd take an $80,000 or so hit to income while only saving $40,000 (made up numbers for the sake of comparison).

rezzor

Reaction score
After reading through this, I've come to the conclusion that thegreek is just a name and not actually someone who has lived in Greece. Having lived in greece, I would say that our attitude about cars is similar to most other European countries. They are small and fuel efficient by necessity. Showing up with a really dirty car may get some looks but showing up in a micro car with a suit on wouldn't even get noticed even at the most fancy hotel.

In greece, if you are driving an S class with a suit on, most people will think you are a driver - owner of course, is in the back seat.

Plus taxis are so cheap there that I never drove my car except for weekend trips.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^^^ "The Greek" most likely is some pretentious college kid who is in a fraternity that has had most everything (including that gas-guzzling God-givin SUV) given to him by his Stepford God-given parents

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1.

It is kind of reminiscent of the "what is the tardest" questions over on AAAC.

I'm not sure whether this was a typo or intentional. Either way, I'm laughing.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rezzor
Plus taxis are so cheap there that I never drove my car except for weekend trips.

When I was in Athens visiting family, you had to be careful and watch the taxi drivers as many of them would not turn the meter on and then they would just try and makeup a fare and gouge you. Ah Athenians, they would sell their mothers if they weren't so hairy.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
Ah Athenians, they would sell their mothers if they weren't so hairy.
gah

rezzor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
When I was in Athens visiting family, you had to be careful and watch the taxi drivers as many of them would not turn the meter on and then they would just try and makeup a fare and gouge you. Ah Athenians, they would sell their mothers if they weren't so hairy.
This is true but they can not compare to Italian taxi. I've never had so many drivers attempt to short change me, charge me double the meter and so on. BTW, Athenian women are a-ok with me.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Men of my father's age group, born in the 30s, reared in the 50s, ultimately gravitate towards certain types of cars. They are the senior citizens keeping Detroit in business right now. They are of a different time and a different place. Driving a Cadillac ultimately meant something a lot different at that time than it does today.

I know there are plenty of holder overs to this type of thinking though. I constantly see people driving something far bigger and far more expensive than they probably need or can afford. In contrast to the "good ol days" the feul efficiency of your car is an additional element of how expensive it is to own certain types of cars.

A year ago I traded in my Volvo for a VW Rabbit. Honestly, I haven't looked back. I could have afforded a lot "more", but the low payments certainly aren't making me upset each month and on top of that I can't imagine what else I really need.

I still would love to someday have the Ferrari, Porsche, whatever, for weekends, but realistically I will be far wealthier investing the dough in something than living the 30k millionaire lifestyle.

Whenever I see the other young guys in my parking lot driving an S4, I just remind myself I am laughing all the way to the bank. I love cars, but ultimately they are not an asset and they do not prove jack **** about how wealthy you are-- remember that Warren Buffett drove some broken down town car for something like 20 years.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is all based on what image you either need or want to portray.

Often I see real estate agents who drive expensive vehicles to tote their clients around in and I think this is often not just because they like the car but because it portrays an image of being successful. Wow, she has a Mercedes, she must be a good agent and sold lots of homes.

Although I am a self professed car nut, I don't need a great car. I work from home and travel very little now. I have a 12 year old Japanese car that still runs fine and having no payments is a great thing. Sure my friends give me hell sometimes, especially because in general I like the finer things in life, but I am also pocketing the cash that I would have spent otherwise on a pointless purchase. I have some friends who have had over 10 cars in 12 years which to me is just crazy.

When the time arises that I need a new car I will probably buy something that I will enjoy but only when that time is necessary.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
What does SUV have anything to do with GOD anyway???

How dare you, Sir!!

laugh.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like this:

i-1.JPG

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I like this:
i-1.JPG

There's an abundance of older SL's in Saratoga during the summer. Based on the dress and demeanor of the average occupant, I sometimes think they're time machines. I see lots of men in Oliver Peoples frames, women in Lilly Pulitzer-esque printed dresses, etc. Pure 80's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads